Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pimp Modification For Boot

maneesh

Posted out of GS forum, as it may be a mod that IS, RX, SC and LS owners might want to do.

Well, had tried 12 LED bulb instead of factory bulb, was nice and white, but really dim.

Off to maplins and got hold of cold cathode tube light as in pc cases. Comes with on/off switch which I discarded. For 10 quid, got a blue tube and a white tube, didn't use the white tube in the end as with both connected I kept blowing the 10A dome light fuse. Perhaps both would work if I used 20A fuse. I don't know..

Wired up to wires leading to boot light connecter (remember to check polarity with multimeter before connecting otherwise you fry the inverter!).

Used the velcro pads to attach tube to underside of boot (metal section). Put the inverter in the rectangular hole where the boot light used to sit (took the grey boot light housing out as not needed). Wiring is hidden under the carpety covering at edge of boot.

See pics! Night shot coming up later. Total time for install was around 15 minutes.

I realise this may not be to everyone's taste, I just did it because I can!

Pulled that panel down to really get good access

86310774-M.jpg

The blue thingy is the inverter that I pushed behind the hole in the panel.

86310938-M-1.jpg

Taken from inside the boot. This shows how neat it looks. No wiring exposed, and the tube is held to the metal using velcro pads.

86310616-M-1.jpg

That does look quite good, pimping aside, it'll make finding stuff in the boot at night much easier - was any wire cutting involved or was it just remove the wires from old light, and stick into new one?

That does look quite good, pimping aside, it'll make finding stuff in the boot at night much easier - was any wire cutting involved or was it just remove the wires from old light, and stick into new one?

i could have soldered the new wires onto the old ones, but instead just stripped a bit of each old wire away and wrapped around with new wire and some insulating tape, not a proper job, but will do.

you could just remove the old wires from the plug holder, but i kept all that intact, in case I need to put it back to factory spec before selling etc.

it's real bright at night and if you use the white tube, a good upgrade over factory light.

I buy all my PC stuff from this www.ebuyer.com which has lots of pretty multicoloured cathodes and leds etc for around £5 so you can pimp out your ride with these all 12v.

Multicolour cathode or Lighting kits Be sure to post us some more pics :)

wow, that's awesome. top tip dude!

Looks cool Man, and yeah, ebuyer/PC modding stuff are all 12v so easy to put in your average car, oh, and pimped cars :D

Looks cool Man, and yeah, ebuyer/PC modding stuff are all 12v so easy to put in your average car, oh, and pimped cars :D

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how come they all come with invertors then? Or is that for a different reason?

i could have soldered the new wires onto the old ones, but instead just stripped a bit of each old wire away and wrapped around with new wire and some insulating tape, not a proper job, but will do.

you could just remove the old wires from the plug holder, but i kept all that intact, in case I need to put it back to factory spec before selling etc.

it's real bright at night and if you use the white tube, a good upgrade over factory light.

You could use a electrical terminal block rather than twisting the wires together it would probably be more reliable and it's easy to take off later about 75p for pack of 20 or something. :) terminal-block.jpg