Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My big revamp took another weekend off on Sat. Got my MOT done and wanted them to put my Greenstuff pads on that I bought of eBay. The tester parked my car outside then was told to bring it back in to change the brakes. He looked a bit annoyed and then came back to say my plastic key for the centre cap was stripped.

I think he forced it in a bit of a temper. Lexus say I need to get replacement from Toyota service dept.

Anyway point is that I need new brakes on, and without key I can't even change a wheel so if I get a flat on way to work (120 miles) I will have to call AA.

Has anyone else had to get a replacement key before and was it a drama? I'm on a contract so every day I'm off work loses me a fair wack.

Any help/advice gratefully appreciated etc.

Cheers

Paul

Yep, it's a drama!

The unlocking key I received (after they said it had arrived and two visits later it was behind someone's desk all along) was for a different car, they say the plastic one for the GS Series 1 is no longer available. (So why not sell me nothing instead of something that won't work?).

They also say they have had this problem before, (they just didn't mention/remember it when they took the order and my money).

Apparently there is an alternate centre cap available with another type of key - but why bring out a new centre cap design for a car no longer in production? Doesn't make sense.

Put a hammer & chisel in with my spare wheel, or buy a new set of alloys all down to a 50p piece of plastic?

So, biz as usual. I want to change a wheel and we're into unexplored territory and debating various solutions which may or may not work. I just want to get the wheel off without Lexus part No. LPZ410-SO786 (hammer & chisel).

Sorry 'bout rant but I seem to remember this is the sort of stupid little problem that made me wonder about the purpose of life & stopped me improving my car last time.

Copied from another post:

"If the Wheels are the proper Lexus sports wheels then a kit can be bought for about £3.21 +Vat which is a new key and i think four nuts for the centre caps. The part number is PZ439-10671-2P and any Lexus dealer can get them in about 2 days"

Why would you have to buy a new set of alloys, just remove the existing " centre cap bolts" and replace them with the new ones in the kit * assuming you get new bolts in the kit

OK thanks again Fluff

called Toyota?Lexus again with the part no. and made them look it up on their computer, and they have confirmed that it is the kit for the Series 1 Sport. Will be in Tuesday so this item may not run to two weeks which will be a bonus.

Lucky you have a photo memory re: posts

cheers

Paul

• 10 months later...

i have not had a key for years ,always use a set of long nose pliers and open them the wrong way into the key holes .prob depends on how tight yours are done up though but i have never had a problem .

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, it's a drama!

The unlocking key I received (after they said it had arrived and two visits later it was behind someone's desk all along) was for a different car, they say the plastic one for the GS Series 1 is no longer available. (So why not sell me nothing instead of something that won't work?).

They also say they have had this problem before, (they just didn't mention/remember it when they took the order and my money).

Apparently there is an alternate centre cap available with another type of key - but why bring out a new centre cap design for a car no longer in production? Doesn't make sense.

Put a hammer & chisel in with my spare wheel, or buy a new set of alloys all down to a 50p piece of plastic?

So, biz as usual. I want to change a wheel and we're into unexplored territory and debating various solutions which may or may not work. I just want to get the wheel off without Lexus part No. LPZ410-SO786 (hammer & chisel).

Sorry 'bout rant but I seem to remember this is the sort of stupid little problem that made me wonder about the purpose of life & stopped me improving my car last time.

I had exactly the same issue - the one key I had was rounded off and therefore couldn't undo any of the centre cap screws. Simplest thing to use was a large flat bladed screw driver and they were off in seconds. Ended up buying four of the 'newer' design (metal inserts so they shouldn't round off again) and now have 4 keys as well! Anyone need a spare mail me and I can post one.

Dave