Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Gasssy Type Sound....

Lex-aholic

I have this strange hissy sound coming from the front driver's side of the car (possibly wheel) area when I take a left turn at speed - ie, if I was just to pull out from a junction I wouldn't hear it. It's only happened since Yesterday.

Any ideas what it could be ? It doesn't happen when I hit the brakes, or when I go over bumps so I'm not sure what else it would be. It isn't causing any problems at the moment, but as I'm not aware of what it is I'm a bit concerned and puzzled :duh:

errrm, Power Stearing pump? Is it on that side, i can't remember...

Or perhaps the plastic arch guard is rubbing on the inside?

I had a look underneath, but couldn't see anything rubbing at all - although with the funny noise created, it could sound like the plastic slightly rubbing against the tyre.

As for the power steering pump - I really haven't got a clue. I am soooo not mechanically minded. I did check the power steering fluid and that's full. It's kinda like the noise only really appears when the weight is distributed to that area of the car, ie. when you go around a left bend. But the gassy sound does sound remarkably like when you put full lock on - even though the car isn't on full lock (if you follow me) :duh:

perhaps a slightly split CV joint, that is on it's way out?

Have a look behind the hub on the drivers front wheel, make sure it's clean and grease free.

If there is gunk and stuff everywhere, perhaps this could be it.

It's kind of difficult to diagnose on the forum, can you give us more detail about when it started, how you heard it and stuff like that?

perhaps a slightly split CV joint, that is on it's way out?

Have a look behind the hub on the drivers front wheel, make sure it's clean and grease free.

If there is gunk and stuff everywhere, perhaps this could be it.

It's kind of difficult to diagnose on the forum, can you give us more detail about when it started, how you heard it and stuff like that?

I'll have a look at the wheel again later, but I'm pretty sure when I checked Yesterday it looked all okay and clean.

I drove the car down the gym Yesterday afternoon (which was fine as far as I remember). It was when I got in and drove back home later that I noticed it. But you can't hear it if the windows are up, so it's definitely outside the car.

Marvellous though ain't it.......I'm looking to trade the car in about September / October time so I'm trying to save my pennies for my next car.....oh well - worse things happen I suppose. :crybaby:

What would happen if it was a split CV joint ? (just out of question).

Thanks for your help BTW. B)

I have this strange hissy sound coming from the front driver's side of the car (possibly wheel) area when I take a left turn at speed - ie, if I was just to pull out from a junction I wouldn't hear it. It's only happened since Yesterday.

Any ideas what it could be ? It doesn't happen when I hit the brakes, or when I go over bumps so I'm not sure what else it would be. It isn't causing any problems at the moment, but as I'm not aware of what it is I'm a bit concerned and puzzled :duh:

Strange gasssy type Sound and it comes from the drivers side of the car........... did you have a Curry last night? :hehe: Sounds like the power steering pump.

if you need someone to look over the car, im only the other side of Bath

CV boot, there isnt one

Thanks for the offer - I might just take you up on that if that's okay.

I'll see how things go for the time being, cuz I've got a holiday booked shortly as well......too much happening at one time.....I can feel the stress levels rising already and it's only Monday :ohmy:

Just out of question - if it was the power steering pump, does anybody have a clue as to how much it'll cost to be replaced ? <nail biting>

if you need someone to look over the car, im only the other side of Bath

CV boot, there isnt one

Thanks for the offer - I might just take you up on that if that's okay.

I'll see how things go for the time being, cuz I've got a holiday booked shortly as well......too much happening at one time.....I can feel the stress levels rising already and it's only Monday :ohmy:

Just out of question - if it was the power steering pump, does anybody have a clue as to how much it'll cost to be replaced ? <nail biting>

It could just be the power steering belt... maybe not the pump...

Sorry for my silly comment about the CV boot, i didn't think to check if our cars had them, lol.

It could just be the power steering belt... maybe not the pump...

Sorry for my silly comment about the CV boot, i didn't think to check if our cars had them, lol.

:lol: Could be worse - you could be me and not even know what a CV boot is :lol:

constant velocity :D keeps the velocity constant.... :lol: