Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Towing With An Rx400

Hi, newbie here.

Just on the verge (maybe tomorrow) of purchasing an RX400. The car will take the place of our 535 Touring (which we love) but I have test driven the Lexus and was VERY much more than pleasantly suprised.

The car will be used mainly by my wife for town work but we will also use it for towing our fairly heavy caravan.

My question, does anyone have (or will admit to!!) experience of towing with the rx400. If so what sort of mileage can I expect and how does it handle with the wheeled shed on the back?

If possible I would love to hear from somebody before tomorrow morning.

Hi, newbie here.

Just on the verge (maybe tomorrow) of purchasing an RX400. The car will take the place of our 535 Touring (which we love) but I have test driven the Lexus and was VERY much more than pleasantly suprised.

The car will be used mainly by my wife for town work but we will also use it for towing our fairly heavy caravan.

My question, does anyone have (or will admit to!!) experience of towing with the rx400. If so what sort of mileage can I expect and how does it handle with the wheeled shed on the back?

If possible I would love to hear from somebody before tomorrow morning.

Well I towed a big empty but heavy 20 foot 4 wheeled trailer for about 60 miles last year without any problems.

Petrol went down to 20 mpg!!

Hi

I also have towed a heavy trailer - no issues at all - except the petrol engine turns on a lot sooner when accelerating - which is what you would expect given the load.

One other thing - if you go for rear park sensors then these become annoying when you reverse a trailer/caravan. To avoid this Lexus give you a manual switch in the boot to turn off the sensors - on my Jag this was automatically turned off when you plugged in the tailboard electrics to the black socket - Lexus down a bit here!

Similar experience with the MPG loss when towing - my trailer has a big box top - so is a real brick through the air at speeds above about 30.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks for that guys.

I really wanted some caravan towing info as well though. We changed our caravan earlier this year and have found that my 535 is not so happy with it. Power wise the BMW is more than up for it, but we had a bit of a 'tank slapper' coming back from a short break recently. Admittedly I was doing nearly 70 (but the van was not overloaded etc etc) but it did shake me up a bit.

We are not contemplating buying the rx400 just for towing, it will probably only be used four or five times a year for shortish runs with the van, but the other issues of reasonable performance with 'reasonable' economy, a lovely relaxing drive and loads of extras thrown in for good measure.

Like I said before, our local (?) dealer was more than helpfull and offerd us the extended test drive. We only went into the dealers because my wife liked the look of it and we were window shoppingso to speak.

Did someone say towing?

Not been here for a while so may be a bit rusty but here goes!

We use our RX400h to tow a 2006 Coachman Laser 650/4. Now if you know your vans you'll know this is a beast. MIRO 1665kg, MTPLM 1870kg, so basically as big and heavy as you get. RX400h is 2050kg kerb weight so 85% is 1742kg. We are usually at or slightly above the 85% recommended weight. Lexus own tow bar is rated for 80kg nose weight and I always make sure this is dead on as I have found this is the deciding factor on making the outfit stable.

The RX does a fab job and tows will little effort in the cruise. When maneuvering the petrol engine is usually off. Does get some strange looks on sites when every ones looks at the silent car on the grass moving a caravan.

MPG drops from about 28mpg to 18mpg for us.

The torque of the electric motors really does help, steep hills can be climbed relatively easily and the CVT helps the engine not 'hunt' for a gear under load.

Altogether a great towing package - strongly recommend. If you need more info just ask.

Hope that helps.

John

Oh excellent, I had forgotten about that.

We decided to take the plunge and order one today, my wife got her way and we are having a silver. I suppose it will stay cleaner looking longer.

Thanks again folks for all your help.

Are we allowed to talk 'vans' on here :D :D

It's a Knaus Starclass 550. We have had German vans for the last few years, and although it is not quite the build quality of our previous Hymer, it is really superb.

We are so looking forward to getting our rx400 which will be with us in the first week of September.

• 10 years later...

Hiya John and Hobbit, I have just bought a RX400h, (complete with towbar) and will be towing with this car for the first time in Easter,

As I will pay extra special attention to the 80kg nose weight, but does it cause any issues with the weight piled up in the boot of the car,

eg electric motor strains ?, because with less weight in the Caravan, (Bailey Burgundy by the way) I usually fill up the boot,

Hope you are still caravaning, and still have a Lexus of some sort,

Regard's

Sando63. :smile:.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Spacewagon 52,

My Lexus RX400h, Towed like an absolute dream, I'm very Happy,

averaged 26-28 mpg but with power on tap,

Nose weight just below 75kg, Excellent.

:yahoo:

3 hours ago, sando63 said:

Hiya Spacewagon 52,

My Lexus RX400h, Towed like an absolute dream, I'm very Happy,