Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Dust

mike82

This may be a bit of a silly question, but here goes.

Ive owned my IS200 since Feb, and only this past week or so, my front wheels are absolutly caked in brake dust, to the point where its splattered across the doors, like if I had driven though muddy puddles.

I had cleaned the front wheels and calipers a month or so ago, and they stayed fairly clean until now.

Im wondering if this is a sign that I need to change the brake pads?

It might be a stupid question to ask, but Ive never come across such dirt buildup on wheels so quickly before, so I thought i'd put the question out to the masses....

Just sounds like the IS pal, you're seeing the build up on the front wheels, which is where I'd expect it for an IS!

Some of the guys here have changed the pads and disks to combinations which don't leave as much dust - personally I have Pagid disks and Blueprint pads at the front, and Blueprint pads and disks at the rear, and it throws brake dust out constantly!

Not sure how the Aigo will perform though in comparison to the IS!

The IS is such a bugger to clean on the fronts, I've noticed other cars also get more buildup on the fronts due to those being used more, but the IS is a sod, just seems to chuck loads out constantly!

Are you doing a lot of milage?

I used to do around 50 miles a day and you could see brake dust buildup the day after it had been cleaned - that's why I clean the car about once a year now, it's just so much easier!

Think some of the guys said Mintex disks and pads cut down immensely on dust, but don't quote me on that as I honestly can't remember the exact specifics!

I have been using Mintex disc and pads on the front for a while now. I have found that a lot less dust is produced, seeing as I only do about 20 mile a week in it and its cleaned every week or 2 the only thing I have to go on is the trip to Germany.

Heres a comparison pic, neither were washed during the trip. Mines in the middle.

3lexi.jpgClick for bigger pic (1.8Mb)

try dust shields from www.kleenwheels.co.uk

40 quid for front shields, TUV tested so they can't be too bad. I may get some for my GS now..

Anyone here tried those dust shields? Sound interesting, but nothing on their site about availablity/fittings for aftermarkets alloys. I have 19" chromies so anything to keep the dust levels down would be good.

try dust shields from www.kleenwheels.co.uk

40 quid for front shields, TUV tested so they can't be too bad. I may get some for my GS now..

Anyone here tried those dust shields? Sound interesting, but nothing on their site about availablity/fittings for aftermarkets alloys. I have 19" chromies so anything to keep the dust levels down would be good.

i have never tryed them myself but i have tested cars with them on and what a diff. it makes the wheels stay nice and clean (until a puddle) and the wheels look better for them as well and it give the car a longer cleaner look

matt

I have found the Mintex pads to be extremely dusty and will get some other brand next time......Green stuff sounds good;)

Is this when using the standard discs?

Yes standard, why?..... are they better with other discs?

I have found the Mintex pads to be extremely dusty and will get some other brand next time......Green stuff sounds good;)

Is this when using the standard discs?

Yes standard, why?..... are they better with other discs?

I have the Mintex discs as well and they are a lot better.

I suppose at the end of the day its trial and error, one company is good for one person and crap for another.

Its just finding a setup that works for you.

I've just purchased some black diamond discs (Combi) and some green stuff EBC pads. From proven-products.co.uk, cheap and excellent service.

I was originally going to go for black diamond pads aswell, but they said the EBC ones were a lot better, and this combo is what most people go for. Will let you know how I get on.