Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h - How Are They Doing So Far

Hi guys,

I'm interested to know how the RX400h is doing as some of them out there must be at least 18 months old by now. Mine is only 5 months old has done 7500 miles and has one fault fixed by the dealer, which was a replacement of the reverse parking sensor control unit as it just did continous beep when you engaged reverse - this was a know problem with those units and the mechanic drove to my house and replaced it on the drive - I'm very happy about that - it's a 40 mile drive to the dealers!

My tyres are fine - but I would be interested to hear others progress on tyre wear.

Very very happy with Lexus so far

Cheers

Jon

Hi,

We have had our 400h since Jan 06, just covered 7800 miles including the last 1800 in France on holiday. The car so far is faultless. Did 31.7mpg including a 85-90mph dash up from Poole. I think this is cracking for a vehicle weighing 2500 kg laiden with a 3.3Lt engine! On the nice French roads we were getting 34.4mpg.

Navigation very impresive also! Very pleased so far.

Martin

Hi,

We have had our 400h since Jan 06, just covered 7800 miles including the last 1800 in France on holiday. The car so far is faultless. Did 31.7mpg including a 85-90mph dash up from Poole. I think this is cracking for a vehicle weighing 2500 kg laiden with a 3.3Lt engine! On the nice French roads we were getting 34.4mpg.

Navigation very impresive also! Very pleased so far.

Martin

Hi and Welcome to LOC martinjc

You could post up as a new member in that section on the main forum board and maybe post up some pictures of your motor :) :winky:

Chips..

• 1 month later...
On a recent trip to Birmingham, my 3 month old RX300 averaged 32.5mpg, and I was stuck for 1 hr in a jam , am I pleased? :D my Jeep Cherokee 3.7 would not to more than 20mpg no matter how it was driven

Are you sure?, Mine would not do more than 20MPG in ANY conditions or speeds, Try brimming it doing 200 miles and brim it again, I think you will be SHOCKED as the computer tells lies BIG lies. :winky:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still on my first 1000 miles, so I realise everything needs to bed-in and loosen up before I can get a true mpg, but I'm currently looking at 28-29, which is OK, but I'm having to drive like a total obsessive to get that.

One of the techniques I am having to use is totally opposite to a "normal" car, in that I accellerate relatively swiftly up to my desired speed and then ease off slightly (or switch to cruise control) so that the hybrid system can take care of economy management. I am reasoning that the "hit" the fuel economy takes during aceeleration is offset by being on either full (or partial) electric drive for longer.

I am hoping that 32+mpg (without having to concentrate on the fuel meter all the time) is going to be achievable once the car is fully run in, so does anybody have any tips on how to get the best economy out of this car whilst still driving normally?

I'm still on my first 1000 miles, so I realise everything needs to bed-in and loosen up before I can get a true mpg, but I'm currently looking at 28-29, which is OK, but I'm having to drive like a total obsessive to get that.

One of the techniques I am having to use is totally opposite to a "normal" car, in that I accellerate relatively swiftly up to my desired speed and then ease off slightly (or switch to cruise control) so that the hybrid system can take care of economy management. I am reasoning that the "hit" the fuel economy takes during aceeleration is offset by being on either full (or partial) electric drive for longer.

I am hoping that 32+mpg (without having to concentrate on the fuel meter all the time) is going to be achievable once the car is fully run in, so does anybody have any tips on how to get the best economy out of this car whilst still driving normally?

:excl: Hybridrex. sorry mate it's just now going to work, just think you are now trying to drive to achieve fuel figures which are total BULL, no pleasure in "wet-nursing" this car, just drive in normally and asee what you get!.

I tried all this "wet-nursing crap", got shot of lexus bought Audi diesels drove them how I wanted and got more power, more performance, more pleasure. :winky:

I now have the 2007 model A8 4.2 TDI Sport and I get 36MPG ( car has covered 1200 miles) on a 30 mile run and drive it how I like!. Around town I am getting 30/32MPG constant and thats from the first day!. :winky:

All,

I'm up at 9,200 miles now, and when the wife has the car for a week driving round town etc she manages 30mpg - which is just ordinary driving as she takes no notice of the hybrid system at all.

I've personnally manage 47mpg on a 40 mile run whilst driving totally for mpg (no motorways and average speed around 40mph) - I did this in the demonstrator too whilst on test drive - one of the reasons I got the car in the first place.

From a technique point of view, I find that you need to get to cruising speed say 40 or 50 mph on a normal road, then let off the accelerator - just briefly - so the engine drops out and the car just starts to re-generate from the wheels - arrow from wheels to Battery on the annoying screen on dash - then gently back on the throttle (do not let the power needle above the dashed section) then you can hold speed on just the batteries and electric motor - this is not fool proof and does depend on charge in batteries. If you are doing 40 I find it will just about hold the speed without using the big 3.3 (but not uphill!) You can then cruise for quite a while on batteries alone.

I find that the car will not do what we all want it to - that is drop the engine to just use batteries without that kind of action - which is disappointing, and I agree that watching the screen all the time does become a bit of a bad habit.

Depending on how I'm feeling, I either drive thinking about it as above, or I just drive - the difference is about 3 or 4 mpg on the usual runs around home etc. It can be easy to get 35 mpg, but sometimes you just can be bothered!

Motorways at 90-95 I only get 26 to 27 mpg.

Of course I am a big fan of just putting my foot hard in the floor and wafting past just about anything.

Great car!

Jon

:excl: Hybridrex. sorry mate it's just now going to work, just think you are now trying to drive to achieve fuel figures which are total BULL, no pleasure in "wet-nursing" this car, just drive in normally and asee what you get!.

I tried all this "wet-nursing crap", got shot of lexus bought Audi diesels drove them how I wanted and got more power, more performance, more pleasure. :winky:

I now have the 2007 model A8 4.2 TDI Sport and I get 36MPG ( car has covered 1200 miles) on a 30 mile run and drive it how I like!. Around town I am getting 30/32MPG constant and thats from the first day!. :winky:

Please don't misread my post - I have got the car I wanted.

If mpg was my primary concern I could have bought a car that would give me 60+, or if I would be satisfied with a saloon car I could have bought some really good ones (I was using an A8 while I was between cars). However, I wanted an SUV and, after checking all the ones I could find, the Lexus was among the best (and most unique) that satisfied my own personal criteria.

When all is said and done, if someone is spending £40,000+ on a car and basing their decision on 2 or 3 mpg, then I respectfully suggest they may not have got their priorities quite right.

All I was asking was if there were techniques and tips out there that would help me get to my target of 33mpg. If I don't achieve it during regular use then so be it it. It will not detract from what is for me is a very good, highly enjoyable car.

Please don't misread my post - I have got the car I wanted.

If mpg was my primary concern I could have bought a car that would give me 60+, or if I would be satisfied with a saloon car I could have bought some really good ones (I was using an A8 while I was between cars). However, I wanted an SUV and, after checking all the ones I could find, the Lexus was among the best (and most unique) that satisfied my own personal criteria.

When all is said and done, if someone is spending £40,000+ on a car and basing their decision on 2 or 3 mpg, then I respectfully suggest they may not have got their priorities quite right.

All I was asking was if there were techniques and tips out there that would help me get to my target of 33mpg. If I don't achieve it during regular use then so be it it. It will not detract from what is for me is a very good, highly enjoyable car.

;) Fair comment, post miss read. :winky:

RX400h since January 2006. Now done 15,600 miles. Average MPG over the last 3500 miles is 34.5 and that is confirmed by checking the tank every so often. Brilliant car. No noticeable tyre wear.

No faults but there was one "WHY HAS IT DONE THAT MOMENT".

I was stationary on the motorway for about 20 minutes. parking brake was on and the gear lever was in neutral (Yes I know but that was where I had put it). Without warning the navigation screen went bright red and a message appeared along the lines of 'hybrid Battery discharged' , 'select park'. It said a lot of other things but I was so surprised that I didn't really take it all in. I was concerned that I might be stuck on the motorway, I was in a single coned off lane, so I did as I was told and selected 'park'. After a few moments I think the petrol engine fired up , presumably to recharge the Battery and the screen went back to the navigator mode. Telling me I was stationary on the M6!

I can't find anything about this in the handbook, anyone else experienced a similiar event. First time I have been firmly rebuked by the car I was driving but I assumed it meant well.

Wow - that sounds like a real heart sinker!

It's funny, I started this thread to try and find out whether people are experiencing anything unpleasant or awkward about the 400h - having read, with interest, about wheels and gearboxes on the 300. Turns out that no-one is reporting much at all.

This is great news and very comforting - I wonder where we will all be in a couple of years time? Just how long will those batteries last - if there anything like my mobile phones then ?????

RX400h since January 2006. Now done 15,600 miles. Average MPG over the last 3500 miles is 34.5 and that is confirmed by checking the tank every so often. Brilliant car. No noticeable tyre wear.

I was stationary on the motorway for about 20 minutes. parking brake was on and the gear lever was in neutral (Yes I know but that was where I had put it). Without warning the navigation screen went bright red and a message appeared along the lines of 'hybrid battery discharged' , 'select park'. It said a lot of other things but I was so surprised that I didn't really take it all in. I was concerned that I might be stuck on the motorway, I was in a single coned off lane, so I did as I was told and selected 'park'. After a few moments I think the petrol engine fired up , presumably to recharge the battery and the screen went back to the navigator mode. Telling me I was stationary on the M6!

I can't find anything about this in the handbook, anyone else experienced a similiar event. First time I have been firmly rebuked by the car I was driving but I assumed it meant well.

I was stationary on the motorway for about 20 minutes. parking brake was on and the gear lever was in neutral (Yes I know but that was where I had put it). Without warning the navigation screen went bright red and a message appeared along the lines of 'hybrid battery discharged' , 'select park'. It said a lot of other things but I was so surprised that I didn't really take it all in. I was concerned that I might be stuck on the motorway, I was in a single coned off lane, so I did as I was told and selected 'park'. After a few moments I think the petrol engine fired up , presumably to recharge the battery and the screen went back to the navigator mode. Telling me I was stationary on the M6!

hi it does this because the batteries will not charge when in neutral so it lets you no that you have to put it into park, the best way to charge the Battery if it looking a bit low on the gauge is select drive put your left foot onto brake and accelerate it will re-charge the hy-brid Battery in a few seconds

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links