Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Remove Car Phone Kit?

My GS came with a kit already installed as shown below

gallery_1808_7_9806.jpg

I want to remove this Nokia kit and replace it with a bracket for my phone.

I dont want to use the hands free kit as I will be installing a Bluetooth kit soon.

I want to know is if it would be ok if I just cut the wires that go to the cradle (as they are hard wired to it) and insulate them with tape and then just poke them behind the dash as I dont want to be taking the dash apart right now.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

Thanks

Paul

gallery_1808_7_9806.jpg

I dont want to use the hands free kit as I will be installing a bluetooth kit soon.

I want to know is if it would be ok if I just cut the wires that go to the cradle (as they are hard wired to it) and insulate them with tape and then just poke them behind the dash as I dont want to be taking the dash apart right now.

Thanks

Paul

I am glad that I had the dealer took the car kit out when I bought the car!

Good luck!

Paul, I wouldn't just cut the wires mate, if they are wired into the main speakers of the car you could face problems with the sound of the stereo.

You are best to remove the kit completley, including the harness.

Then re-install a new Bluetooth kit.

Paul, I wouldn't just cut the wires mate, if they are wired into the main speakers of the car you could face problems with the sound of the stereo.

You are best to remove the kit completley, including the harness.

Then re-install a new bluetooth kit.

it looks like the kit is the same as mine (for 6230s)..anyway, it's not actually wired into the speakers..there should be a speaker in the passenger footwell, and a little mic near the map reading lights in sunroof console.

personally i will be removing the whole kit when i put my carputer in, as the bracket looks crap..

gallery_1808_7_9806.jpg

I dont want to use the hands free kit as I will be installing a bluetooth kit soon.

Thanks

Paul

I had the same kit in my IS - I went for a Nokia Bluetooth kit and simply replaced the box behind the glove compartment - the leads for power/microphone/speaker etc were the same saving a bunch of time fitting new mic etc. - you can then cut off the wires to the cradle and pull/thread it back through the dash. Should be easy and the Nokia kit should work with all Bluetooth phones.

Try a company called dashmount.co.uk i think they are called, it may be .com im not sure.

You have an old NK-91 kit by the looks of it, you can just get a cradle to replace the one you have to fit the 62xx range.

If not, as Scarface suggests, maybe a new kit would be the best route to go down.

if they are wired into the main speakers of the car you could face problems with the sound of the stereo.

Thats what I thought fella, thats why I asked first.

Ok, anyone have a guide to taking the radio out on a mk2 GS?

Also does it need a code?

Thanks for your help guys

When I bought my IS it had a hands free kit installed too. Although the cars are different, Im sure theres a common ground on stereo removal. To do mine, I had to remove the vents from above the set, and a switch panel from below. This revealed 4 screws which held the stereo cradle in.

Whether this can be applied to you're car, I dont know, but it cant harm to have a look see.

On another note, I just cut the wires on my handsfree kit and stashed them away inside the centre console, and there have been no issues with it.

Paul,

You are looking on the wrong forum mate. :duh: Go to www.clublexus.com and look in GS-second generation. Everything there is to know about GSs is on there. If you search for GS radio on there, it's got info on how to take it out. Be careful though, if you do it without care, you can really :tsktsk: the dash up.