Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Is200 Sportcross

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2003 38000 mile IS200 SportCross. My local Toyota dealer has one in, and I must say it looks impressive. I have a test drive booked for tomorrow.

I'm after any advice on things to look out for. I've read the IS200 buying guide on this site, but if anyone has any specifics to offer on the Sportcross that would be much appreciated.

Sticker price is £11995. I have no part-ex as I've sold my previous car privately. Any suggestions as to what the dealer's bottom line might be? This example seems to have all the toys, including built-in DVD navigation system. Only partial service history though (I'll check the details tomorrow). It also has a tow bar, so I might use this as a bargaining point and will certainly be sensitive to the clutch in case the towing has had an adverse effect.

Reading this forum, I sense that some owners are disappointed with the resistance to stone chips on the bonnet. However, this example is practically pristine, and it's not even been prepped by the garage yet.

The alloys look in fine condition too (I'm aware of the problem where many were replaced under warranty).

If there are any 200 SportCross owners reading this, then what real-work economy do you usually achieve?

As I say, car looks stunning so hope the test drive tomorrow lives up to my expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Wheel corrosion is a common problem, stereo issues, they can be hard wearing on the ball joints to.

Not sure about the Sportcross, but normal IS200's which id imagine would be the same as the Sportcross can have water pumper failure/leaks. Think that covers the most likely, although ive only ever been a victim to the alloys corroding.

Hope this helps, sure others will be able to give more examples.

Good luck with the purchase!

Welcome to LOC :D

Wheel corrosion is a common problem, stereo issues, they can be hard wearing on the ball joints to.

Not sure about the Sportcross, but normal IS200's which id imagine would be the same as the Sportcross can have ater pumper failure. Think that covers the most likely, although ive only ever been a victim to the alloys corroding.

Hope this helps, sure others will be able to give more examples.

Good luck with the purchase!

Welcome to LOC :D

Welcome Charles_SportCross

The 200's normally need new front and rear disks and pads around 30 to 40k depending on how its been driven, check the wear on the disks and ask if they have been replaced.

Stereo can be troublesome check the autochanger doesnt stick or ERR codes on the display.

The older versions tended to be worse (CD slot on the bottom).

As Kazi said look at the waterpump carefully had mine replaced under warranty.

And get a good warranty, a good starting point is the remainder of the manufacters plus at least a year.

Infinity..............

Adding my pennyworth as a former Is200 SportCross owner ... I traded my '03 in back in March - had 35K on the clock, and I'd had it from new.

Had no problems with the SportCross at all - corroding wheels had been changed twice by the dealer; stereo never gave any problems. Apart from the services the car never saw the inside of the dealership.

Check out the tyre wear - my first front pair only lasted about 12k miles before they became badly worn on the inside edges; then the dealer fixed the wheel alignment and the next sets lasted over 20k.

My 'real world' mpg was approx 28mpg - but most of my journeys were over A roads in the Peak District, so not the best place for economising.

Hope you enjoyed the test drive. :D

I like the Sportcross. Mine's a 300, which gives an excellent smooth auto box, and more poke than the 200. Fuel consumption varies between 22 mpg on very short stop/start runs, and up to 28 mpg on long motorway runs, so not much worse than the 200. Would be better for towing, I imagine.

It's not as roomy as a proper estate, but if you fold the back seats down you can get a lot of loose stuff in the back. Doubt you'd get a washing machine in though due to restricted width and sloping back window. Also has a second fag lighter socket in the "boot", which can be handy for running accessories in the back.

Stereo doesn't sound as good (bass-ey) as the saloon, but it's still pretty good.

I used to own a 200 saloon and thought it was great car. 300SC makes up for small boot opening and limited midrange pulling power. Not a good car in snow though (common IS problem). Take care or buy winter tyres.

Good luck with your choice.

IanB :D

As a SportCross owner theres not much to add to what these guys have said.

I've had calipers and set of alloys replaced before warranty ran out in March.

Just one other thing I would look for, and thats scrapes, marks and dents in the roof lining, and the dash trim, especially round the air-vents. Why I hear you asking??? Well if you imagine, the seats go down, and you can carry long stuff home from your favourite DIY store - so interior is now subjected to lengths of 4x2 being fed from the rear, over the seats, and crashing into the dash!!!!

I had a couple scrapes repaired on mine before handing over the cash - very impressed too, a good match can be achieved. Although I missed one - on the drivers side too!!! :msn-cry: not happy!!!!

I've actually brought home a 12 foot long wardrobe end panel in mine - literally wedged over the dash into windscreen as far as possible, over flattened passenger seat, over flat rear seats, into boot, touching inner edge of boot!!!!

I agree its not as roomy as a 'proper' estate, but I can get the kids buggy in now without taking the wheels off first - which is what we had to do with my old SE !!!!

I see your in Letchworth Charles - I'm in Stevenage. Which garage is the SC at?? Might see you around!! Post some pics WHEN you buy her!!! You know you wanna!!!

ATB

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links