Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is22d Or Is250?

Maz

after trying out an IS220d from Lexus Leeds 2 weeks ago, i just fell in love with it, and im hoping to change my IS200 for one, but should i go for the IS200d or try the IS250 as well, what is the IS250 like? any pro and con compare to the IS220d? will the 220d be cheaper to run and insure than the IS250? as i have a a set budget for the new car (£27k max with my IS200 as a P-Ex) i think i can afford an brad new IS220d/250 SE with MM or an IS220d/250 SE-L without MM (can i fit the MM after when i get some spare cash or are they only factory fitted?), or should i forget about brand new and get a nearly new IS220d/250 Sport instead? any ideas guys?

Best Regards

Maz

Each person on here will have his or her own opinion - it's been covereed a few times!!

Diesel costs slightly more than petrol to start with. If it's a manual you want, then you need to drive the 250 yourself. It's quicker off the mark, but will give you a mere 22-24 in town, and 30-32 on a run. So on a par with the IS200???

The diesel is slower off the mark, but pulls very quickly when in turbo "zone" and is deceptively quick when overtaking - especially after the running in period/3000 miles. It's also more engaging to drive than a super smooth V6...!

Fuel economy is 26-30mpg in town on a warm engine and best of 50ish, but on a motoroway and at lorry speeds... :o I would say 40-44mpg on a run is what you'll typically get with a medium foot.

Having run the diesel for a while, I would say spend the extra £1000-1200 and get a 250 SE Auto with MM, or if it is the Diesel you want, then go for the Sport with MM...it's worth every penny - and whether you like Auto's or not it's the best auto this money can buy. The D Sport on the other hand has more sensible gearing (due to a changed out rear diff), though no real leather, but a better handling arrangement (Sports suspension and wider wheels) and HID/AFS etc!!

Note the D Sport will lose 2-4 MPG over an D SE!!

For just over £27000ish, you should be able to get either a Sport D with metallic and MM or SE Auto Metallic with MM. Just check out "www.drivethedeal.co.uk" and quote that to the dealer...don't budge until he concedes!!

Good luck - PS the SE Diesel is a very very good car, the Sport makes it slightly better to drive and hence marginally better VFM, but there ain't a lot in it and I prefer the real ventilated leather. I think the SE-L's toys are too expensive - the really usefull ones are parking sensors and HID's...! :D

IS250 everytime for me. Not a fan of oil burners, the smell if nothing esle makes me want to :sick:

I also believe that the government has not finished with screwing us vehicle drivers for every penny possible. I think that Diesel drivers will infact be paying more raod tax in the future due to the higher level of crap they chuck out.

Hey, I could be wrong :blush:

Take your time and drive them both, see which ticks the boxs for you.

You need to drive them both and decide whther you like one or both. When I drove the diesel at the Open Road I was a bit suprised how badly it pulled through the first two gears. I think it was because i wasn't used to it but you need to get the revs high before going to second. I went for a demo because it gave me the option of the MM that I wouldn't be able to afford on a new one plus I had tried an auto and thought it was best autobox I had driven sow ent for that as well.

So try them both thenif you still like them both ask again.

You need to drive them both and decide whther you like one or both. When I drove the diesel at the Open Road I was a bit suprised how badly it pulled through the first two gears. I think it was because i wasn't used to it but you need to get the revs high before going to second. I went for a demo because it gave me the option of the MM that I wouldn't be able to afford on a new one plus I had tried an auto and thought it was best autobox I had driven sow ent for that as well.

So try them both thenif you still like them both ask again.

PS - to answer the MM afterwards question - I would say forget it!! far too complex....but the MM i still believe should be viewed as more than satnav, in which case it's reasonably good VFM...Like Steve says, push the dealer on a ex-demo....try to at least get the VAT knocked from list against a demo, and then offer them a reasonable amount taking depreciation into account at £150 per 1000 miles travelled......you've nothing to lose!!

Save the extra and get a Private plate for £250 from DVLA-SOM - that way no one will know whether it's a 55, 06 or 56 plate.... :winky:

:lol::lol:

try to at least get the VAT knocked from list against a demo, and then offer them a reasonable amount taking depreciation into account at £150 per 1000 miles travelled......you've nothing to lose!!

Is that a realistic formula? I paid £26500, for a 10K miles ex-demo, which would have been £30,500 new.

Using your formula, I should have paid around £23,500.

Is this the kind of prices you guys are paying for your used cars :o

try to at least get the VAT knocked from list against a demo, and then offer them a reasonable amount taking depreciation into account at £150 per 1000 miles travelled......you've nothing to lose!!

Is that a realistic formula? I paid £26500, for a 10K miles ex-demo, which would have been £30,500 new.

Id imagine it varies from dealer to dealer....

Id imagine it varies from dealer to dealer....

No but the cheeky dealers pay the VAT man on a ademo and then charge you for it...they'd never give you that...

Thank guys for the informations, i have booked a test drive this coming Tuesday to see what the IS250 like :) :) , hopfully i will know which one to go for by then, also i noticed from the price list that the Sport is cheaper than the SE-L, how come? as i would though the Sport will have the highest spec... :question::question: let see how thing go on Tuesday...... :) :) :) :)

Thank guys for the informations, i have booked a test drive this coming Tuesday to see what the IS250 like :) :) , hopfully i will know which one to go for by then, also i noticed from the price list that the Sport is cheaper than the SE-L, how come? as i would though the Sport will have the highest spec... :question::question: let see how thing go on Tuesday...... :) :) :) :)

Good luck - If I recall, SE-L has full leather (heated and ventilated) and Illuminated scuff plates, but the standard SE wheels and suspension. It's also got Yamaha piano wood and an electric rear sun screen.

The Sport has unlit scuff plates, 18" wheels and sports suspension. It has Celensia (artificial suedy stuff) rather than leather, and no ventilation. Aluminium pedals and if I remember rightly no wood - the console is the same shiny plaggy as the base and SE.

It's horses for courses...

The ideal spec would be Sport with leather....if only - and an auto Sport diesel with Leather!!!

my 2p worth - having driven a couple of IS220Ds (non sport) my main impression was the gearing was all wrong. The ratios were much too high meaning all roundabouts and tight corners had to be taken in 1st gear else no power available and unable to use 6th gear at 70 mph for the same reason. I also found the clutch heavy and 2nd gear very notchy the turbo lag was awful.

as has been said horses for courses but the auto in the 250 was excellent so that would be my choice.

my 2p worth - having driven a couple of IS220Ds (non sport) my main impression was the gearing was all wrong. The ratios were much too high meaning all roundabouts and tight corners had to be taken in 1st gear else no power available and unable to use 6th gear at 70 mph for the same reason. I also found the clutch heavy and 2nd gear very notchy the turbo lag was awful.

as has been said horses for courses but the auto in the 250 was excellent so that would be my choice.

Rillo,

:offtopic: BUT Top Avatar.

Howay the Toon.

Well i had my test drive today with an IS250SE, pretty good, drive alots like the IS200 i have only quicker and better, but in the end i have gone for the 220D instead, as it was cheaper to buy and run, and i did enjoy the drive with one when i had my IS200 service and mot at the dealer, so come in October will be my new Mesa Red IS220D SE + MM :D :D :D :D :D cant wait.... :D :D :D

Congrats on the purchase.

Delivery dates are like share prices, they can go down as well as up.

have to confess mine was due 16th Aug but arrived at the dealers 2 weeks ago

1st Sept feels like Christmas day to a 7 year old

Infinity

Did you return it to standard then mate?

Lexus wouldn't touch my car as they just didn't know where to start with it or what to offer value wise!

No i didnt return it to standard, i though they wouldnt take it either, but they did, and did offered a good price for it (still lost some money which i already known before i started all the mods), so i think i been lucky this time.... :) :) :) :) :) and will i mods again? well not this time, must be getting old.... :whistling::whistling: hehe

Hi Maz!

I have driven both of them, the IS220d and the IS250 (A/T).

And I was really disapointed about the power of the IS220d. :yawn:

So lame.... it pulls for a short moment in a 500-1000rpm area and then it falls back asleep.

But the IS250 was surprising me.

Never thought I would like it, but I do. :blush:

I'm waiting to get a ride in the M/T model once. B)

So lame.... it pulls for a short moment in a 500-1000rpm area and then it falls back asleep.

:duh: R U sure you mean 500-1000rpm...that's idle range...not many diesel cars pull the skin off a custard on that range....

Try 2nd, 3rd or 4th at 2200rpm... :lol:

I think I know what you mean buddy - it's got a narrow power band, but it's more like 1700rpm - 2100 - 3700rpm...which for a turbo diesel is not brilliant...