Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lugage Restrictions

Ro1

I'm reading that electric key fobs are among the items not allowed to be carried into the cabin on flights departing the UK. From what I've read, there's no way to start the car without the electronic key. What happens if the checked luggage goes missing and the car is at the airport?

Has anyone travelled with the key for a new GS or IS over the last few days and been able to bring it on board or is it definitely banned?

I'm reading that electric key fobs are among the items not allowed to be carried into the cabin on flights departing the UK. From what I've read, there's no way to start the car without the electronic key. What happens if the checked luggage goes missing and the car is at the airport?

Has anyone travelled with the key for a new GS or IS over the last few days and been able to bring it on board or is it definitely banned?

If you're flying BA it's going to be in the baggage hold along with everything else, apart from maybe your wallet and travel docs. Spectacles and sunglasses also allowed, but not the glasses case. Any carry-on needs to be in a clear plastic bag. :yawn:

Best thing to do is get your bags plastic wrapped, it might at least put off the thieves in Baggage Handling now they're tempted by all those cameras, iPods, laptops and mobile phones....or is it just restricted to those that work in Jo'berg? My large Samonsite shell case had the locks broken coming out of Houston last trip, but there was a note in the case saying Homeland Security had done it...that's OK then :angry:

...and the answer to your question? Hard luck, just hope the trip to bring your spare key to the airport doesn't take too long.

If you're flying BA it's going to be in the baggage hold along with everything else, apart from maybe your wallet and travel docs. Spectacles and sunglasses also allowed, but not the glasses case. Any carry-on needs to be in a clear plastic bag. :yawn:

Best thing to do is get your bags plastic wrapped, it might at least put off the thieves in Baggage Handling now they're tempted by all those cameras, iPods, laptops and mobile phones....or is it just restricted to those that work in Jo'berg? My large Samonsite shell case had the locks broken coming out of Houston last trip, but there was a note in the case saying Homeland Security had done it...that's OK then :angry:

...and the answer to your question? Hard luck, just hope the trip to bring your spare key to the airport doesn't take too long.

I flew in the UK on Friday from Orkney to Heathrow via Glasgow. I was up in Orkney all week and watched the news reports with a sinking feeling - I had my laptop, car keys, mobile, PDA etc with me and I knew I was going to have to check it all in.

You can carry keys, but not electrical keyfobs. I could have split my key and carried on just the metal bit, checking in the fob, but that would still be no good if they lost the fob. You could get into the car, but not start it. As it happens, I checked the whole lot through and got it back at Heathrow. Phew!

In future though, I'll see if I can lock the fob in the boot in a steel box or take the Battery out, and carry the metal key with me. I'll be able to get back into the car with the metal bit , recover the fob and Bob's your uncle!

I really hope these carry on restrictions don't last too long though....

Can you still wear a bum bag :question:

No handbags or bumbags, and nothing in your pockets either as everything you're allowed to carry goes into the clear plastic bag. We'll all be boarding naked soon...

Jesus, ive got a 14hour flight on friday to hong kong, im gonna be lost without my Laptop n ipod........i hope somethin is allowed on the planes by then :duh:

Think it varies depending on airline and destination, but most of the international flights have similar requirements, with the USA destinations having the most stringent.

corner.gifcorner.gif :o

Try this. Its not the best but may work.

Check out the boarding restrictions in Amsterdam, if they are more relaxed than here dont check in your bags all the way to Hong Kong, just to Schiphol. Then re-check in for the long haul taking aforementioned Ipod and laptop on with you.

Infinity..........

I'll see if I can lock the fob in the boot in a steel box or take the Battery out, and carry the metal key with me. I'll be able to get back into the car with the metal bit , recover the fob and Bob's your uncle!

:offtopic: Under normal circumstances does the car recognise the key in the boot and unlock the car if you accidentally leave the keys in?

Infinity.........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links