Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shell Petrol Station - Wtf ?

No not the chip and pin scandal.

Called in at my usual fuel stop tonight. Tried pump as normal - nothing. Looked at pump and on a white piece of A4 ( against a white pump background ) a little note saying please pre-pay. Fair enough I thought we are going American.

Went inside and said I'll have £40 of unleaded please and offered my credit card. lady said either I keep your credit card whille you fill up or you pay cash in advance, we've had a lot of drive-offs at those two pumps. So I replied well if you don't trust me I don't trust you with my card so I'll take my custom elsewhere, and did.

Why tar every one with the same brush? Can't they make exceptions for regulars, or people that "look" honest or drive a Lexus? They had two drive-offs whilst I was there, people going elsewhere. Only two out of eight pumps have the signs, but that means potentially a 25% loss in custom if they all do as I did. The station has good quality CCTV as well, as can be seen on the screens inside.

Exact same thing happens to me mate ............. I just walk out, I don't want to leave my card with them !

I could just show them the warrant card ....... but I think, wtf should I !

That's what the country is coming to unfortunatley, but it's reality.

Happens in London alllll the time !

Ah, thankfully I live in a nice part of the country where you can leave your doors unlocked, and they trust me at the pumps, the day things here turn out like that is the day I leave the country!

Blimey, you must be loving it over there pal, shame you can't send some over at that price - duty free petrol - wouldn't that be a winner!

I'm sure I could arrange it mate, trouble is that the motion potion over here is ledded, and will soon be the death of all your pussies :blink:

i would also refuse to buy their fuel on principal, at that site or any other shell site.

on a similar note, there is a 'pc world' at newport road in cardiff that has a pedestal near the front doors with the most ludicrous security guard i have ever seen standing tall on it, the twice i have been there i have seen him actually barking orders to other store guards to 'check' people etc. truly un-nerving to see him eyeing you, myself and quite a few people i know actually refuse to use the store due to the total lack of respect toward paying customers, i wonder if they lose more business due to this almost military approach to store security than from shoplifting.

i would also refuse to buy their fuel on principal, at that site or any other shell site.

I think your forgetting that some of these stations aren't just under 'management' but are are owned and run by real people like me and you.

the problem you have if you leave the credit card/ debit card with them is you are in breach of your lenders Terms and conditions. THis could leave open to fraud. I have walked away from petrol stations that refuse to let you fill then pay, when i said no to leaving the card ( i did offer to leave £10) they told me no card no fuel. My reply was ok and walked out only to find the pump turned on. But how do you know they wont swipe you card in skimer and get all you card details down.

the problem you have if you leave the credit card/ debit card with them is you are in breach of your lenders Terms and conditions. THis could leave open to fraud. I have walked away from petrol stations that refuse to let you fill then pay, when i said no to leaving the card ( i did offer to leave £10) they told me no card no fuel. My reply was ok and walked out only to find the pump turned on. But how do you know they wont swipe you card in skimer and get all you card details down.

Yep as someone said above, if they don't trust me, I don't trust them either - no way am I going to leave my card with them....... :angry:

If they're this worried about it, its about time they fitted either pay at pump machines, or have someone to fill your car up (US style) rather than making us all feel like criminals while we pay possibly the highest fuel prices in the world :angry::angry:

If they're this worried about it, its about time they fitted either pay at pump machines, or have someone to fill your car up (US style) rather than making us all feel like criminals while we pay possibly the highest fuel prices in the world :angry::angry:

.... and Cyprus styleee :D

If they want cash up front then what's to stop them paying £10 and then putting in £40 and driving off ?

Can they regulate how much is dispensed ?

Yes, they can just turn the pumps off from inside the store........

24 hour petrol station over here late at night you have to pre-pay through a hatch and the pump then only dispenses the exact amount,

It even starts to slow down as it gets close to the end..... surely the same type of equipment is used in Britain

Why?

Do you think it's ok to support someones business who treats it's customers like they are about to commit a crime.

Why?

Do you think it's ok to support someones business who treats it's customers like they are about to commit a crime.

Can understand you saying that you would not buy fuel from that retailer, but to spread that to all Shell outlets seems totally illogical. That's like saying the girl in the Nisa shop on Orkney was rude to me so I won't go into a Nisa in Cornwall.

No not the chip and pin scandal.

Called in at my usual fuel stop tonight. Tried pump as normal - nothing. Looked at pump and on a white piece of A4 ( against a white pump background ) a little note saying please pre-pay. Fair enough I thought we are going American.

As you probably know it's standard over here, certainly is in Houston. I never leave the card though, just pay $40 dollars and the pump slows down and shuts off as the figure is reached...still fills up the average yank tank at $3 a gallon, but I'd hate to have to hand over £65 in notes every time I filled up in the UK :crybaby: . Fortunately we don't have the problem down in the Cotswolds...the tractors don't move fast enough to do a runner from the pumps :whistling:

Two things there...

1) Must be rough out East London as i've never had that problem in West/North London....

2)This is the more likely conclusion. You just look dodgy :lol:

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Nick ............. :lol:

Why?

Can understand you saying that you would not buy fuel from that retailer, but to spread that to all Shell outlets seems totally illogical. That's like saying the girl in the Nisa shop on Orkney was rude to me so I won't go into a Nisa in Cornwall.

i disagree, the franchisor provides it's 'name' and reputation to the franchisee, in return the franchisee pays the franchiser for the privelage, if the franchisor is unable to prevent the franchisee from bringing it's name into disrepute, than that is their problem, not mine. I work hard for my money, and will not support any business who treats customers this way, if everyone did the same, then they would either have to change the way they do business or go out of business.

If you where filling up something like a billy can you'd have to guess how much you can fit in it or would they refund the difference if you pay for £4's worth of unleaded and then can only fit £3 in it?

Same goes if your filling up your petrol tank to full, what if you pay for £50 and you can only fit £46 in the tank (for example)?

You'd then have to go back and they would have to cancel the original transaction and do it all again. :blink:

24 hour petrol station over here late at night you have to pre-pay through a hatch and the pump then only despenses the exact amount,

It even starts to slow down as it gets close to the end..... surely the same type of equipment is used in Britian

What happens if you can't fit the amount you've paid for into your petrol tank, do you just lose out or get a refund on the amount left over?

If you where filling up something like a billy can you'd have to guess how much you can fit in it or would they refund the difference if you pay for £4's worth of unleaded and then can only fit £3 in it?

Same goes if your filling up your petrol tank to full, what if you pay for £50 and you can only fit £46 in the tank (for example)?

You'd then have to go back and they would have to cancel the original transaction and do it all again. :blink:

24 hour petrol station over here late at night you have to pre-pay through a hatch and the pump then only despenses the exact amount,

It even starts to slow down as it gets close to the end..... surely the same type of equipment is used in Britain

What happens if you can't fit the amount you've paid for into your petrol tank, do you just lose out or get a refund on the amount left over?

Just drive around for awhile and come back......... :P , It's like making a cake..... you can always add more but you can't take it out.... :tomato:

seriously though when i find myself using these places at night it usually means the tank is practically empty, so sticking 20 or 30 quid isn't going to get anywhere near filling it...... also not the kind of places you want to spend too long hanging around..... :winky:

Just drive around for awhile and come back......... :P , It's like making a cake..... you can always add more but you can't take it out.... :tomato:

seriously though when i find myself using these places at night it usually means the tank is practically empty, so sticking 20 or 30 quid isn't going to get anywhere near filling it...... also not the kind of places you want to spend too long hanging around..... :winky:

I always remember in a Peugeot showroom some one broke in and stole the drivers door off a brand new 206. Didn't bother with the car just the door, Obviously they needed one for theirs. :lol: Cars aren't even safe in showrooms anymore (maybe they planned to take it all apart and rebuild it when they got home).