Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changed the leads on the car today and have developed a really strange problem with the car.

Start the car and rev the nuts off it without selecting gear and its fine but after a few minutes it starts to miss. Start the car and select gear and it starts to miss immediately.

I started the car and let it idle and disconnected each lead in sequence to see if i could find a dodgy lead but i get the same response from all leads (ok attatched, missing and lumpy when removed)

now obviously i had to remove the throttle body and the attaching lecky plugs when i changed the leads does anyone know if i could have created a vacuum/electric problem from that.

Needless to say i had no problems before i changed the leads so tomorrow i am swopping them back out one by one to see if i have one duff lead in there.

Any ideas would be welcome i'm a bit baffled at the minute

Austin

Why can't you check the leads using a multimeter, to see if they are getting full voltage through or not?

whats the multimeter reading supposed to be ? :duh:

A couple of kilovolts!

Out-of-circuit they should measure the same as your old ones, near enough.

Why can't you check the leads using a multimeter, to see if they are getting full voltage through or not?

whats the multimeter reading supposed to be ? :duh:

A couple of kilovolts!

Out-of-circuit they should measure the same as your old ones, near enough.

Right all sorted must have been a dodgy plug connection or the fact the plugs were swimming in coolant from removing the throttle body :blush:

Removed the throttle body again took the leads off took the centre cover plate out removed the plugs and cleaned all the plug ports and crud out from between the two cam covers refitted everything and voila everything is ok.

Will say that replacing the leads has stopped the strange rumbling i had when parked in drive at the lights and the stalling problem i had when braking from speed to stand still so thats food for thought for anyone who experiences the problems i did