Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Ever Installed Or Seen A Gm Tranny In A Aristo Or Supra?

skeet94

For the tuners on this board - Have any of you done a GM 4L80E conversion into a Aristo, or a Supra for that matter? Just curious, as I can get ahold of a built up 4L80E from the USA for a pretty good price with a ProTorque TC, but have any of the tuners on here done anything of the sort when it comes to installation? Asking as before I do ANY kind of performance modifications to the Aristo (even before BPU), I'd like to take care of where the car falls short (transmission, handling, braking, etc) with the biggest being the Transmission as it will only hold so much power before it breaks and tougher rebuilt ones are not exactly bulletproof like the GM trannies, not to mention as smooth.

I do know that I will need a custom driveshaft, which I could have fabricated from a contact in the USA from carbon fibre and a custom Torque Convertor if I use the Toyota Bellhousing, but since I'm planning on keeping the car forever...I wouldn't mind if someone banged away on the transmission tunnel to fit the GM tranny as long as it looks near enough stock (position/angle/etc).

Therefore the main concerns/problems would be something along the lines of:

1) Banging the transmission tunnel to hell and back.

2) Since it's a electronic gearbox (E in the model designates that) a controller of some sort would be required - don't even talk about AEM EMS, would never touch it with a 10ft pole! Ever since I've read about how mature the HKS F-CON V is and how it is locked up once setup I'm leaning towards it.

3) Hook up the electronics to the car (Speedo, etc).

Who feels competant enough to do this? Or has done something of this nature?

I know a US Tuner is planning this out for US Supra's but it's going to be a in-house install due to complications/competition otherwise I'd just order the full kit. I was considering the TH400 with GearVendors Overdrive unit but it's too costly not to mention I'd rather have the 4L80E which is a tough transmission with OD and lockable convertor in one unit and can handle 1000rwhp horsepower and abuse with ease with daily drivability.

Opinions? Comments? Please do NOT PM me...post it all up on here...unless it's something which competitors shouldn't know about :).

Finally, what kind of cost would one be looking at for installing such a transmission install?

Chips & Matt: The 4L80E is the same as a TH400 except it's a 4 speed with OD, where the TH400 is a 3 speed. 4L80E is also electronically controlled.

Manual conversion would cost more than this conversion with the possibility of a mis-shift killing a gear in the gearbox as well as a triple or maybe even quad plate clutch (future plans would call for this if I went manual). This would cost a substantial amount compared to the 4L80E conversion. I'd be looking at a minimum of £2000 for a clutch (maybe more) not to mention the conversion and parts for the gearbox which would cost more than the 4L80E gearbox & conversion.

This conversion would be near bulletproof with a properly built transmission. Since it would have the OD it'd make for a nice cruiser with decent mpg. Also top speed would still be near enough the stock A340E as well as a nice comfortable town car (hate manual in town LOL). Drivability wouldn't be compromised as such that it would have to rev all the way up to 4000rpm before moving forward in traffic :).

Aido: The gearbox can handle it, although it's just a ticking bomb waiting to go at those kind of power levels. A rebuild/upgrade isn't much good either, as failure is definitely going to happen...just a matter of time. This transmission would be near bulletproof, can withstand the abuse of building boost off the line as well as at a roll (brakeboosting whilst rolling), can easily take the power with abuse left and centre with the right Torque Convertor. OH YEAH about the power I want more than 600bhp...I've got some HIGH goals for this car, which will take alot of money and research to get it to, but it'll be worth it in the end. No kit, no exterior mods except exhaust and wheels, a true sleeper.

Anybody have any experience with it?

Matt: The transmission is the weakest link in the whole drivetrain. The other things will be upgraded after the transmission has been sorted out :). I'm still sticking to the idea of a 3.4L HKS Stroker built shortblock with a PHR Stage 5 kit. Built port and polished head retaining VVTi with HKS Valcon Pro system. 4 Row FMIC, PWR Radiator, etc, etc. Rather get this sorted out as it's where the MOST downtime will be experienced as the rest of the stuff (engine, etc) will be made using a new shortblock, blueprinted, and machined using the HKS Stroker Kit...this is of course going to be quite a while. I'm leaning towards a Fullrace manifold.

I'm still in the planning/budgetnig phase as I'm doing as much research as possible on everything before I put down the cash. Therefore rather find out about this transmission conversion as everything else is 85% decided on.

Rallure: You've got PM.

• 10 months later...

Can't really help I'm afraid so good luck on your travels !

What I will say and maybe Matt/Yoshi/bazza will back me up is its great to say you have *** bhp but actually driving the car and using it is another matter.

Mine is at approx 400bhp and I've done a lot to the suspension brakes etc . Its extremely quick and I cant see how you will ever use all the BHP in the UK (why I've done 4500 miles in europe since June this year !) without loosing your licence

I met a guy at the euro meet who has fitted a manual gearbox to his IS300 Turbo and to get round the auto gearbox ecu he did smoe electrical wizardry so the ecu thought the car was always in nuetral.....

Hmm I am in the consideration phase of what to do about my box when it grenades itself. Are you saying that this replacement box including fabrication and carbon shafts etc would come in cheaper than £3k? I'm not sure why you'd be needing a 2 grand clutch surely thats just utterly ludicrous power??

Hmm I am in the consideration phase of what to do about my box when it grenades itself. Are you saying that this replacement box including fabrication and carbon shafts etc would come in cheaper than £3k? I'm not sure why you'd be needing a 2 grand clutch surely thats just utterly ludicrous power??

This replacement box is a bolt on as it uses the stock Toyota transmission bell housing, albeit there is a minor bit of "tunnel banging" required, which if done properly (ie: knowledge of EXACTLY where to bang the transmission tunnel, etc) shouldn't pose any issues. Also a transmission controller is required unless you're going with a AEM EMS. Carbon fibre driveshaft, etc all included in the price for a SP4L80E shouldn't be more than £4500 including fitting/banging/tuning/etc.

The TH400 is cheaper, although shifting has to be done manually and it doesn't come with overdrive either - which can effectively affect your MPG on long motorway trips.

I'm personally NOT going to go with a AEM EMS, so will be needing an aftermarket transmission controller. That's not to be done yet as I've got something very nutty in the pipeline, that I'm waiting on having built...before I go with the SP4L80E transmission.

• 2 weeks later...