Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gauges, Gauges...

lexusIT

allright, so... I apologize if this has been discussed already but couldn't find anything relevant with the search feature... :blush:

anyhow, I wanted to add some extra gauges, nothing fancy, just some cheap oil temp and maybe an a/f meter, just for the fun of it... question is... where do I plug the oil temp/pressure in?

I don't wanna make a mess and I've read somewhere else that, on a lot of cars, this device comes in really handy 10104.jpg.

Does anyone know if this can be fitted on our car?

This looks right on the money, but not really sure it can be done.

help :question:

Hi,

From the picture you have posted it looks like just a spacer that goes between the oil filter and mount on the engine block where the oil filter screws onto and there should be a pipe that comes from this which goes to the gauge which displays the pressure.From what i understand its a standard fit.

If your after cheap gauges try this website,Nick seems to have or can get what ever gauge you need.I know him well and you can trust him ;) if you want to buy from him.

http://domain887009.sites.fasthosts.com/shop/

Hope thats of some help to you.

Chips..

Hi,

From the picture you have posted it looks like just a spacer that goes between the oil filter and mount on the engine block where the oil filter screws onto and there should be a pipe that comes from this which goes to the gauge which displays the pressure.From what i understand its a standard fit.

If your after cheap gauges try this website,Nick seems to have or can get what ever gauge you need.I know him well and you can trust him ;) if you want to buy from him.

http://domain887009.sites.fasthosts.com/shop/

Hope thats of some help to you.

Chips..

hi chips,

yes you're right about the spacer thing, it's some sort of adaptor that should be put between the oil filter and the engine. The adaptor is provided with 2 "holes" where you can insert 2 sensor, typically temp and pressure. I've found useful info on this subject reading this guy's guide here.

Strange thing is, it seem sthat sometimes a smaller filter comes with this adaptor, so that the overall lenght remain the same. Somewhere else I've seen this adaptor sold w/o any filter... wonder if I'm gonna have any lenght limitation in the engine bay, i.e. the stock filter is gonna touch / rub something? :unsure:

well i just might give it a try and see if it works out...

I'll check the site you suggested, might find some other solution, thanks! :D

-edit-

just checkin the "gauge place" I've found they're also selling the so called "sandwich plate"...

I agree with Chips, the bloke at gaugeplace is v helpful.

I've got that sandwich plate fitted to the Evo, speak to nick and he'll tell you which size you need. From memory there are actually 4 openings on the sandwich plate (although i dunno what you use the other 2 for???) The Sandwich plate doesnt move the oil filter out that much really, prob bout half inch at most.

Hi,

Heres more info with more detail for anyone in the future...

REGARDS OPOT SANDWICH PLATES

The plates you are interested in are available normally with 3 different centre thread sizes.3/4unf 16 . M20 P1.5 and M18 P1.5 These sizes cover all makes of car. In the case of a LEXUS you will require a 3/4UNF 16 centre thread.

The plate that GAUGEPLACE sells, features 4 inlet ports. for the purpose of connecting either OIL PRESSURE or OIL TEMP electronic senders, which are supplied with most electronic gauges. Both senders can be connected or just one..The Plate comes with 4 blanking plugs as well. Plug off any unused ports.

The reason that there are 4 ports. is in regards angle of access.some car types may have a restricted space so this allows for the sender the be placed in a better position.

In some cars. due to limited access space, even this does not allow enough space for the oil pressure sender, so we also can supply an extension braided steel oil line of appropriate length. plus P Clips. which allows for the sender to be attached in a more accessible space.

To fit the plate..the OIL FILTER is removed and then the OPOT plate is screwed into the same position..then a new oil filter replaced. When fitting these, any and all threads should be wrapped with PTFE tape to ensure a snug leak free fit. This includes the threads on the senders, however the senders will need to be earthed to work properly..so in the case of the oil pressure a seperate earth wire should be attached, because the teflon tape will not allow the sender to earth on the OPOT plate.

Finally..if anyone would like any further information. on these or on the alternative COPOT version.which allows connection to an oil cooler..please feel free to email me. at nickgilchrist@yahoo.com

Hope this of help.

Chips..

Hi,

Heres more info with more detail for anyone in the future...

REGARDS OPOT SANDWICH PLATES

The plates you are interested in are available normally with 3 different centre thread sizes.3/4unf 16 . M20 P1.5 and M18 P1.5 These sizes cover all makes of car. In the case of a LEXUS you will require a 3/4UNF 16 centre thread.

The plate that GAUGEPLACE sells, features 4 inlet ports. for the purpose of connecting either OIL PRESSURE or OIL TEMP electronic senders, which are supplied with most electronic gauges. Both senders can be connected or just one..The Plate comes with 4 blanking plugs as well. Plug off any unused ports.

The reason that there are 4 ports. is in regards angle of access.some car types may have a restricted space so this allows for the sender the be placed in a better position.

In some cars. due to limited access space, even this does not allow enough space for the oil pressure sender, so we also can supply an extension braided steel oil line of appropriate length. plus P Clips. which allows for the sender to be attached in a more accessible space.

To fit the plate..the OIL FILTER is removed and then the OPOT plate is screwed into the same position..then a new oil filter replaced. When fitting these, any and all threads should be wrapped with PTFE tape to ensure a snug leak free fit. This includes the threads on the senders, however the senders will need to be earthed to work properly..so in the case of the oil pressure a seperate earth wire should be attached, because the teflon tape will not allow the sender to earth on the OPOT plate.

Finally..if anyone would like any further information. on these or on the alternative COPOT version.which allows connection to an oil cooler..please feel free to email me. at nickgilchrist@yahoo.com

Hope this of help.

Chips..

good stuff! :geek: :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

hey :)

bumped up the topic as I've just had my first transaction done with nick and his gaugeplate and I have to admit is good to deal with people so nice.

all my respect to nick, and thanks to the guys who pointed me in the right direction.

:winky:

hey :)

bumped up the topic as I've just had my first transaction done with nick and his gaugeplate and I have to admit is good to deal with people so nice.

all my respect to nick, and thanks to the guys who pointed me in the right direction.

:winky:

Nick is a top bloke :D

had a few dealings with him and cant fault him

is a great show goer too, turns up at almost all of them

• 1 month later...

ha, was bored this evening, nothin much to do and too dark to work on the car...

plus not many ppl posting here, so here we go with some pics of my install (yet to be put in the car, but we'll get there :D )

12102006ov0.th.jpg

12102006001cx7.th.jpg

12102006002vw6.th.jpg

apologize for pic quality, taken with the cell phone, but I care more about the entertaining value :winky:

Take care

[edit] now should be possible to see pics....

Hi,

I say what i see,to me it looks like a set of binoculars on the dash :unsure:

It doesnt look right to me.

:crybaby:

:P well never thought about the binoculars, but now i do... and it's all your fault!!!! :hehe:

anyhow, was looking for something differ4ent than this

http://www.turbo-garage.com.ua/shopimg/gau...A_IM-DGP-01.jpg

and so I tried..

thanks for the comment though :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guy i was wondering now i have a Oil cooler will i still need one of these to rig up my oil pressure and temp gauges

Cheers Elliott

Any Ideas fellas ????

And also what size do i need ?????

depends on your cooler ! and wether it has the facility to tap senders off of it

as you say you might be able to fit a sandwich in as well but i believe its tight down there and has to use a special dumpy oil filter

alternative places are teeing off the original pressure sender or in the sump plug

Hey guy i was wondering now i have a Oil cooler will i still need one of these to rig up my oil pressure and temp gauges

Cheers Elliott

Any Ideas fellas ????

And also what size do i need ?????

depends on your cooler ! and wether it has the facility to tap senders off of it

as you say you might be able to fit a sandwich in as well but i believe its tight down there and has to use a special dumpy oil filter

alternative places are teeing off the original pressure sender or in the sump plug

Its the prolex one i think i may pm him now

OK turbo boys i need to find out if i have the Prolex Oil cooler can i fit a sandwich plate anyone had any experience with this set up???

Im gonna get a small filter of Mr Dave but hes still not sure if a sandwich plate for the gauges will fit it ????

Any info or advise will be most welcome :D

Cheers

OK turbo boys i need to find out if i have the Prolex Oil cooler can i fit a sandwich plate anyone had any experience with this set up???

Im gonna get a small filter of Mr Dave but hes still not sure if a sandwich plate for the gauges will fit it ????

Cheers

You'll have to modify the actuall cooler sandwich plate :winky:

a066a2c4.jpg

Cheers

You'll have to modify the actuall cooler sandwich plate :winky:

a066a2c4.jpg

ooo poo lol cant see photo still at work ill have a look later.

Did u do it your self adie

that plate looks like it allready has the holes for the senders

looks like its leaked as well :lol:

should also seriously consider having a thermostatic divertor in the oil cooler set up

:yawn:

O go.d whats that barry :( will it not come with my Defi gauges, i also got the EGT gauge but not sure where this will plug/strap onto exhaust system :tomato:

that plate looks like it allready has the holes for the senders

looks like its leaked as well :lol:

should also seriously consider having a thermostatic divertor in the oil cooler set up

:yawn:

O go.d whats that barry :( will it not come with my Defi gauges, i also got the EGT gauge but not sure where this will plug/strap onto exhaust system :tomato:

thermostatic divertor: diverts the oil to the cooler, only when it reaches a set temperature

otherwise you will find that the engine takes a long time to warm up, or doesnt even reach optimum temperature

try and get the EGT in the manifold or turbo housing, the idea is it measure the engines exhaust temps, and not your actual exhausts temps

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links