Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My First Lex.... Wonderful !

Recently traded-in my 1998 BMW 318i with a 2003 IS200. I was getting fed-up with the maintenance problems of the Bimmer (overheated twice in a month in the middle of the road)... and it was a choice between Audi A3 and Lexus IS200. Considering that both are priced pretty much the same... the IS200 won face down. So finally, I've joined the club of Lexus owners last Saturday.

Took the IS for a spin this weekend.... involving urban roads, highways, mountain roads... and WOW !!! The driving pleasure given by IS200 is really just as good as the 3-series !!! Can't say better.... but have to say... just as good. Excellent handling, decent acceleration, very quiet, good sound system, excellent air-con.... the Lexus is just amazing.

Anyways, as a first time IS owner. I've got a few "Strange Observations" which I hope folks here could shed a bit of light.... Maybe I'm a bit over-sensitive, so it might be nothing.

1. There seems to be a rather noisy "Fan" noise coming from the hood. It's doesn't sound like engine noise. Sounds more like the cooling fan or air-con fan. It's not exactly alarmingly noisy, but it sounds like some fan rotating at very very high speed. Loud air-con?? Maybe it's a Lexus design..... never had this sound in my BMW (and BMW's are not quiet).

2. When starting the car in the morning, there are "knocking" sounds (audible even with the radio on) in the car cabin. Lasts for about 10 minutes, then it disappears. I don't think the car cabin metals need warming up.... but can't figure it out otherwise.....

3. The Reverse Radar is downright annoying. It beeps like crazy even if there's nothing in the vicinity !!!

Apart from that.... after 2 days and 200km of driving.... the Lexus IS200 is truly amazing !!! Glad to join the club ^_^

Welcome to the club mate, glad you're enjoying your new motor :D

I don't know about the first two questions but for the last one I'm assuming your car doesn't have parking sensors? That beep is just to tell you the car is in reverse - the reason its there is because its quite easy (I believe) to engage reverse gear instead of first gear, so it warns you. I have an auto so don't have that problem, but I have heard its weird.

Let's see some pics of your new baby up on here! :winky:

Hello, welcome to LOC.

I have the same problem with te reversing beep, mine is auto and when i put it in reverse it beeps and tends to go crazy most of the time, can never work it out but just learned to live with it!!

Enjoy your Lex!

Hiya mate, nice choice of car!

Although i went round to my mate's house yesterday

and he had a brand new audi rs4 convertible! Very nice!

anyway, my car does the same. Very noisy cooling fan,

and i believe the noise you hear is the water circulating

behind the dash. Kind of a knocking burbling type sound.

Is very weird. Think its been covered on here so just do a search!

sam :D

The reversing bleep is only audible inside the car. Its their as a safety feature, as 1st and reverse are so close together, and you dont have to lift or press anything to select reverse. So the car warns you when you do. I thik there is a post somewhere on here about disconnecting the audible warning bleeper but its not an easy job as the sounder is right under the dash board.