Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Camera...

Tony9r

Just driven past a standard GATSO camera (rear facing) on the other side of the road :o, so I was travelling in the opposite direction, and it flashed me twice... would it have got me??? :blink:

OK, I admit I was going nearly 40 in a 30mph zone, but it was a straight empty road and I was well aware of the surroundings :blush:

Never been flashed by one of these before, so have I got something to worry about? :crying:

if its the normal standard 1 then no well i have never been had :)

Thanks Daza - yes it's the bog standard normal one... I feel a bit better now :blush:

If it had the markings on both sides of the road, then probably yes, but just wait and see

well round here they put markings on both side anyway must have flashed me and my friends 20 plus times

these new grey ones can there was one in london yesterday but that actually faces you

No it wouldn't have taken you ...........

I have set of many of those Gatso's ........ (both on and off duty) whilst travelling on the opposite side of the road .......

Unless there is road markings (the lines) you're fine ......... :D

Ahmet, just to throw something else in the mix, what's with the Truvelo cameras that are popping up everywhere?

Basically a couple of years ago in this area they installed the Trovelo cameras, installed on your side of the road facing the driver, however, all the timing marks have been painted behind the cameras, and there is nothing to take your picture along these - therefore are they dummy cameras? They do flash and I've heard people actually say they've had tickets from these, but if they do not have photographic evidence that can be manually checked, such as the time it takes you to cross the start and end of the timing marks, does this mean the ticket can be contested?

Cheers fella :)

Forward facing cameras (truvelo ones) don't need markings as they can get an actual speed reading based on how quickly you approach the camera (same as a policeman standing in the road with a gun)

Its only rear facing ones that can't get your speed as you travel away from it, so uses the distance travelled to calculate speed :)

I thought truvelos didn't flash though as they're infra-red or something......not sure why there are markings behind the camera though, unless they've replaced the standard gatsos with these :unsure:

Truvelo cameras don't flash, it would be illegal if it did as there not allowed to have cameras that flash straight at the front of the car, could you imagine getting one of them super bright flashes on your face, twice!!

As for those gatsos if they're in the middle of the road they have to be facing the way your travelling, although saying that there is a few i've come accross that are on the other side of the road facing that flash but i think the sensor jus get triggered you can't be caught by them.

I thought truvelos didn't flash though as they're infra-red or something......not sure why there are markings behind the camera though, unless they've replaced the standard gatsos with these :unsure:

It was at a brand new site, all I can think of then is maybe the council contractors were expecting to do a Gatso installation, and then the Truvelo cameras were specced at the last minute - that sounds like it would make sense for a council to do :o

could you imagine getting one of them super bright flashes on your face, twice!!

I had that happen to me on uni boulevard in Nottingham they flashed facing the car and it's bloody bright :tsktsk:

I was doing 43 in a 40 on a early(7am) sunday morning!! :blush: