Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Little Things That Could Make A World Of Difference...

After spending a week driving my new lex (2003 IS200), have to say this car is awesome. Great handling, acceleration and control in curves. Apart from the "built quality", it's a much better than my previous 3-series.

Despite the wonderful driving pleasure, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that the Lexus designers left out the little bits of things that you would have expected from a "semi-luxury" and "modern" car. Here's list for me to vent out my little disappointments... with a sigh...:

1. No auto-lock upon drive off. Even my family's 1997 Toyota Camry has this feature !!! Got word that even the new IS250 doesn't have this... Shame on the designers !!!

2. No coin box. From what I observe, there are plenty of available space for this.

3. Automatic folding side-mirror when engine-off. Okay, so you can press a button for this. But why can't they do that automatically when you switch off the engine?? It's just another line of software program to the on-board computer.

4. Handbrake closer to the passenger than the driver, while the cup holders are located to the contrary. Don't know about you, but it sounds unreasonably to me. Can't imagine why the passengers need to be assessible to the handbrake more than to the cupholders.

5. No mudflaps. Can't understand, why not?? Simple plastic mudflaps could protect a lot of paint from chips and rusting.

6. No alarm when leaving the headlights on while engine-off. Another very very simply software program that could save our butt some day when we rush out from the car without switching off headlights.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually very impressed with the car. It's just that somehow the car designers of a prestigious brand name could have actually thought about those.... Or... maybe i'm just picky.

6. No alarm when leaving the headlights on while engine-off. Another very very simply software program that could save our butt some day when we rush out from the car without switching off headlights.

if u use the auto lights they come on when it gets dark and go off when light and the turn off when u open your door to leave the car

I'm surprised at this-my 2003 RX has an alarm (soft tone) that goes on if i leave my lights on, doors or sunroof open etc

I usually leave my lights on auto as well, but I know for sure that my 2002 IS beeps if you leave the headlights on and open the door - perhaps there's a fault with yours ;)

I don't actually like mudflaps, so glad they're not there, but they are available from your Lexus dealer so no big problem.

Agree with the rest though, although its never been a problem as in any other car you'd usually have to make do with a lot less...... :whistling:

1. Yeah that would be nice.

2. Never really found the need for one myself.

3. Would be o.k. as a feature if you could choose to enable or disable but what about the times when parked on the side of a road and you need to use your mirrors when getting out of the car to see if anything is coming etc. If they folded in as soon as you turn off the engine then that could be dangerous.

4. Not noticed any problem, but I have my ipod sitting in the cupholder space so its perfect for me.

5. Mudflaps and stuff like that are usually dealer options. Personally I would not want them just cos of how they look really.

6. Mine has a warning bell alarm when you open the door with the ignition off and lights on. But generally keep them on auto anyway. Maybe your warning is bust?

Some as everyone else, my 2001 has a warning if i leave the lights on and open the door, don't use auto too often as i find its not sensitive enough and doesn't function with the sidelights, hate it when people wait until its pitch black to put lights on!

there is a buzzer when the lights are left on.

there are mudflaps available

there is a coin holder option instead of the ashtray

the handbrake is there because any closer as in where it is on lhd models is too close to the driver as its mounted on the side of the prop tunnel

autolock is a feature thats not available on UK cars, it is on US cars

remember the Altezza, which the is200/300 is based on is not classed as a luxury car in Japan, its a mondeo, a 3 series BMW......

so some of the functions just arent required, secondly the reason that some options are not included is basically Lexus GB didn not feel that the car needed them, it is them that specs the models for the UK market.

the design, is now nearly 10 years old

Some as everyone else, my 2001 has a warning if i leave the lights on and open the door, don't use auto too often as i find its not sensitive enough and doesn't function with the sidelights, hate it when people wait until its pitch black to put lights on!

the sensitivity can be adjusted by the dealers

leaving lights on Auto function actually shortens the life of the relay that controls them

leaving lights on Auto function actually shortens the life of the relay that controls them

Does it shorten it dramatically (in that it might need replacing soon) or is it something that would only affect you if you had the car more than 10 years say?

Personally I don't see the point in auto lights that you can't leave on all the time, but if its expensive and will fail much quicker, might start switching them off now and then..... :D

Does it shorten it dramatically (in that it might need replacing soon) or is it something that would only affect you if you had the car more than 10 years say?

Personally I don't see the point in auto lights that you can't leave on all the time, but if its expensive and will fail much quicker, might start switching them off now and then..... :D

its shortens it, as in more relays blow on cars that use autolights, than those that dont, in fact considerably more frequent

if u use the auto lights they come on when it gets dark and go off when light and the turn off when u open your door to leave the car

I don't particularly like the auto-lights. They come on when you pass under a couple of trees or go under a bridge, but stay off when it's pouring with rain on the motorway and you can't see 50 yards because of all the spray!

Not an especially useful function, if you can't remember to turn the lights on you probably shouldn't have a licence!

Just my view... :winky:

Mike

1. never found this a problem as the clifford locks them for me, but i can see why it would be annoying without it.

2. Ashtray :D

3. Just get the prolex kit

4. true but never found a problem.

5. mine came with them but ripped off, added some comedy when they where flapping about on the motorway at a lexus meet :lol:

6. My lex has a soft alarm when i leave the lights on.

if you can't remember to turn the lights on you probably shouldn't have a licence!

Lol! True! But you still see people driving in the dark without lights, but these people would probably still have their lights off even if they had auto lights!

Its just a gimmick at the end of the day.

Not an especially useful function, if you can't remember to turn the lights on you probably shouldn't have a licence!

See where you're coming from, but not entirely fair - luxury cars are about making life easier, its not that I don't know when or how to turn my lights on, its just that I don't want to have to :P

Its similar to things like reversing cameras - I know how to park, and parking sensors will do the job perfectly, but it will make life a little bit easier and that's what its all about :)

its shortens it, as in more relays blow on cars that use autolights, than those that dont, in fact considerably more frequent

Ah. As I was reading I was worried you meant the light sensor would eventually fail.

Relay switches are not that expensive to replace afaik.

I like the auto-light thinga-me-bob :D

D.

After spending a week driving my new lex (2003 IS200), have to say this car is awesome. Great handling, acceleration and control in curves. Apart from the "built quality", it's a much better than my previous 3-series.

Despite the wonderful driving pleasure, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that the Lexus designers left out the little bits of things that you would have expected from a "semi-luxury" and "modern" car. Here's list for me to vent out my little disappointments... with a sigh...:

1. No auto-lock upon drive off. Even my family's 1997 Toyota Camry has this feature !!! Got word that even the new IS250 doesn't have this... Shame on the designers !!!

A bit like Taxi's do then? :o Not sure i'd like this feature tbh...

2. No coin box. From what I observe, there are plenty of available space for this.

As others have said - the Ashtray!

3. Automatic folding side-mirror when engine-off. Okay, so you can press a button for this. But why can't they do that automatically when you switch off the engine?? It's just another line of software program to the on-board computer.

And as others have said, the Pro-lex auto wing-mirror (and sunroof) closure kit... Not available anymore, but there are plenty of ebay alternatives... You'll just need to get hold of the wiring diagrams (your first mod coming up perhaps?)

4. Handbrake closer to the passenger than the driver, while the cup holders are located to the contrary. Don't know about you, but it sounds unreasonably to me. Can't imagine why the passengers need to be assessible to the handbrake more than to the cupholders.

Not sure on this one. personal preference I guess. If you got a long left arm, then slightly more further away is probably better...

5. No mudflaps. Can't understand, why not?? Simple plastic mudflaps could protect a lot of paint from chips and rusting.

Personaly preference again really - I dont like the look of them tbh

And i'm sure that a buzzer or something goess off as soon as you open the doors with the lights on and engine off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually very impressed with the car. It's just that somehow the car designers of a prestigious brand name could have actually thought about those.... Or... maybe i'm just picky. lol :D

Welcome to LOC and enjoy the car non-the-less :)

Where abouts in HK do you live?

D.

See where you're coming from, but not entirely fair - luxury cars are about making life easier, its not that I don't know when or how to turn my lights on, its just that I don't want to have to :P

Its similar to things like reversing cameras - I know how to park, and parking sensors will do the job perfectly, but it will make life a little bit easier and that's what its all about :)

I do see your point, but the fact is they don't really work properly. They come on when you go through a short underpass at midday, but they don't come on at other times when they really should such as heavy spray on a motorway. Darkness is fine, they work well at that but that's not the only time you need lights!

Horses for courses I guess, I don't find them valuable but I suppose others love them! My last car, a Toyota Avensis, had an auto-dimming rear view mirror. I didn't like that either, it never went dark enough! And as for the automatic wipers...

Give me a simpler spec list and a higher build quality any day... (says he with an IS200 SE with electric everything!! :duh:)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my 1999 IS 200 SE for about 3 weeks.

1. Auto lock: not sure everyone wants it. What actual advantage does it serve? If you scared of car hijacking or a robbery then maybe. Otherwise I can only see issues like the doors being locked if you're in an accident. I know lots of cars have this feature, it's not one that I think has a use. Like you said for the mirrors, you can press the button if you want anyway.

2. Coin box: There are plenty of places you can put a few coins, they just don't say 'COINS' on them. Mine are in the front ash tray.

3. Auto-folding Mirrors: Yeah, would be useful, but fold in when you press lock on the fob not on engine off. It's also not as simple as an extra line of code. Sure, software wise, it is simple. But there will need to be an extra control line/relay etc, so a bit of hardware required.

4. Handbrake: I thought the handbrake position looked a bit weird, but using it has been fine. It's over to the left so it's not in the way of your arm for changing gear. Most cars have it further back, or my last one did.

5. Mudflaps: come on, no mudflaps, is this a design error? Or did you forget to get the option.

6. Headlight alarm: Mine has an alarm.

It's just that somehow the car designers of a prestigious brand name could have actually thought about those.... Or... maybe i'm just picky.

I'm sure they did think about all these things. And personally, I think they chose correct on most of them. I find the auto lights don't come on soon enough for me either, and so far that's the only niggle I've got. (Other than niggles with the car not being new, of which there are plenty!)

Rich.

It's a nice feature to have as for security reason.

Isn't it that the box under the armrest a coin box ? I use that one and the ash tray for coin storage.

It would be nice to have it as a feature that you can manually enable or disable it for some safety reason. Prolong folding of the mirror would cause the mechanism to wear and break down easier.

The handbrake on the passenger's side is perfect for me. I hate thing close to or touching my butt when sitting, really uncomfortable.

It's an option that you can choose to put on.

Mine one has got no alarm too but it will shut off once the driver's door is opened.

I don't really trust the Auto-Light as well as most people here. The Auto light does not work as desired as I always have light on day & night for safety reason and concerned that the delay would break down too soon.

None of the things youve mentioned bother me at all. I love it but the one thing I think isnt right is the gear box. its smooth and good to change gear but i think 6th is too low because you cant let it do very small revs on a motorway at 80 but this is just a very very minor gripe as I avrage 32mpg in mine to a full tank!

:P

What a car!!!!! :D

ps I hate auto locks as I had a little accident in my dads bm when i was 15! he wasnt too happy!!

And also, why is it that when you do see people driving with no lights on and you flash them nine times out of ten they take offence :o

Your not sposed to leave your main beam on Aido :winky: :lol:

I took delivery of my new IS 250 SE-L yesterday and I am largely delighted with it. The exception to this is the SatNav system, which appears to me to be very clunky, complicated, old fashioned and totally unintuitive. I had hoped that it would get me away from the need for an add-on system, but I suspect that within a week I will be back to my TomTom 910 . . . . . :crybaby:

And also, why is it that when you do see people driving with no lights on and you flash them nine times out of ten they take offence :o

Your not sposed to leave your main beam on Aido :winky: :lol:

I took delivery of my new IS 250 SE-L yesterday and I am largely delighted with it. The exception to this is the SatNav system, which appears to me to be very clunky, complicated, old fashioned and totally unintuitive. I had hoped that it would get me away from the need for an add-on system, but I suspect that within a week I will be back to my TomTom 910 . . . . . :crybaby:

Supprisesd you find the new system hard, ive used an old GS430 sat nav and it was great!

Supprisesd you find the new system hard, ive used an old GS430 sat nav and it was great!

Then why does it need a 100+ page manual?

My Tom Tom 910 manages with 17 pages of only two thirds the size of those in the Lexus manual and using it is so obvious that you hardly need to read them anyway!

More importantly, the route calculation software on the 910 leaves the Lexus stuff standing, and it includes a speed camera data-base.

I tried to use the Lexus navigator on two obvious routes today. choosing the "quickest" option - on both occasions it ignored the by-pass around our local town and tried to take me through the town centre. Either it's map data-base is ancient or it's algorithms are crap.

Then why does it need a 100+ page manual?

My Tom Tom 910 manages with 17 pages of only two thirds the size of those in the Lexus manual and using it is so obvious that you hardly need to read them anyway!

More importantly, the route calculation software on the 910 leaves the Lexus stuff standing, and it includes a speed camera data-base.

I tried to use the Lexus navigator on two obvious routes today. choosing the "quickest" option - on both occasions it ignored the by-pass around our local town and tried to take me through the town centre. Either it's map data-base is ancient or it's algorithms are crap.

The manual for the TomTom 910 is 80 pages long while the Lexus is just over 100 and a lot of that is screen shots.

With the Lexus the actual "this is how you enter a route" is about 40 pages long, the rest of it is how to personalise the system. At the end of the day I guess it is what you are used to. I picked up my car and set my destination as home without even reading the manual. I've used the Tom Tom and while it is a good piece of kit, for a portable system I personally do not like having these devices on the windscreen. And it seems to take forever to calculate a route.