Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can Someone Please Help Me Figure This Setup Out?

Right I've been trying to sort out the stuff I got with the car, in the boot it had an Alpine Navigation unit, which is working great, and also a TV tuner is in there along with aeriels all over the car and I'm just trying to figure out whether it's useless and can be removed, or whether it could be made to work at some point...

Basically, the setup is pretty simple, the factory navigation system from the Aristo has been removed, and replaced by the Alpine unit...

This then has a harness connected to the Alpine unit which goes to a breakout box, with a connection for Guide Out, NTSC Video Out, and then the Aerial connections for the GPS etc..

I've traced the NTSC video cable back, and this goes to the video in on a PAL -> NTSC convertor box, not sure why, as it's set to convert the signal to NTSC - this box has multiple indicators and from memory I think the N3 box is lit meaning that the box is taking an NTSC signal, but then passing out an NTSC signal!

Tried connecting the cables inline taking the box out the equation and just get a blank screen - maybe the screen in the Aristo needs a specific type of NTSC with colour information, I'm guessing the box is taking an NTSC 3.58 signal and converting to NTSC 4.43 - although it literally just says output NTSC which is typical!

The output I've traced and is soldered into a wiring harness connected to what I'm assuming is the amplifier box of tricks in the boot - this I'm assuming is the standard OEM unit as provided in the car - certainly looks that way with all the connectors etc...

Anyway, all the stuff above is working, although on the headunit in the car, which looks like the standard GS one when they have Nav, except with Chinese writing, the picture from the Alpine Nav is displayed on every channel, and the sound also comes through on every channel, although the sound seems mixed as you can sometimes hear the faint part of a UK tv programme when changing channels. Like I say only the sound changes - the picture doesn't change at all so I'm guessing something has been overridden in here?

The car then has a TV tuner sat in there which I'm not sure is the factory unit or not?

It looks like this:

21082006025jm1.jpg

I can't get the power convertor off the top, it feels like over time it has bonded to the unit so I can't get the make or model - but wondered if any of you guys who are familiar with this stuff recognise the brand?

That power converter is feeding the PAL - NTSC converter box by the way - this TV box seems to be getting it's power from elsewhere - the PC type connector at the top...

It does have a sticker on it saying Checked by Punch Audio PTE - so I'm assuming this was something done over in Singapore as I found a company over there which seems to match?

Would that box work over here?

I tried connecting it into the converter box and on the screen you just get a screen of noise like when a TV isn't tuned in - the strange thing is though I can't see a IR port on it so *** knows how you control that thing?!

The aerials are connected to the back window, but causing some rattling when the sub hits certain frequencies which is doing my head in, but I don't want to rip them out in case I can get something else working with them?

Also the back window is heavily tinted so don't want to go and rip a bit of that off if you know what I mean!!!

Any ideas where I should start with this one, or would it be best to go and leave it with a local car audio place for the day and let them try and figure it all out?

Mainly interested in how they've overridden the factory display, like I say it's just a composite cable carrying a NTSC signal that's been soldered into the existing harness in the boot!

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Right then ok been having a play with this again and I hit lucky :D

It turns out the TV Tuner is a Centurion / Necvox DA-230 II Super Tuner, it looks like it should work in the UK, I just need to figure it out now, but it looks like basically the connections have been played around with, and I've got a feeling that I may hit gold if I take the AV input from the satnav, feed that into the TV tuner box, and then take the output from the tv tuner and send into the NTSC - PAL converter..

It's raining at the minute though so I can't play too much!

Is anyone familiar with this TV tuner please as I may need to get hold of a manual and potentially another remote control for it...

If anyone here has this model and could pass on some information for me it would be greatly appreciated :)

I always do mate :D

Just hoping someone out there has this same bit of kit, Google just turns up loads of crap when you look for the manuals for this thing, I'm going to pop to Tesco in a minute to get some cables and try and get it all sorted today hopefully :)

If I can figure this out I'll be well happy and it also means that then I can start adding a DVD player and stuff, that would be ace as I'm well jealous of John in his CLS350 with DVD playback as standard!!