Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bulgaria - Anyone Been?

aido

OK folks a few of us are looking to book a cheap trip to Bulgaria in September for a week, just wondered if any of you had been and could let me know what we should expect?

We're looking to rent an apartment in Sunny Beach, but I've read on the net that the resort starts to shutdown in September - is that the case and if so is it still worth going?

Thanks in advance!

We went last year to a resort a few miles from Sunny Beach called Elenite.

Hotel Link

The place got hammered on the opinion website so we were very worried but it was fantastic.

General opinions..

Weather is a bit hit and miss as it can rain a fair bit - the upside is the storms are fantastic!

The whole place is run by the mafia - Russian for counterfeit stuff, Bulgarian for entertainments, pubs etc. Not a bad thing as everything is cheap and perfect 'cos they want your money! Even the taxi's are arranged!

Amazingly cheap

Staff can be a bit grumpy, they get paid the equivalent of a £1 a day

Sunny beach is very commercial though, very good if you like that thing :)

Thanks for that mate, sounds like it could be a fun week then, we wanted somewhere cheap, and when we were told that beer can be as low as 30p a pint then it was game on, hopefully will only spend a tenner a day on the booze and another tenner on the ladies :lol:

Thanks for that mate, sounds like it could be a fun week then, we wanted somewhere cheap, and when we were told that beer can be as low as 30p a pint then it was game on, hopefully will only spend a tenner a day on the booze and another tenner on the ladies :lol:

That'll be plenty :winky:

Fantastic stuff guys, I read somewhere that they really like their feta cheese - what's that about?

As long as they do cheese and ham sandwiches I'll be fine for the week!

Mike, I shall be sharing my cheese with the local women, don't worry mate, I'll be taking some Red Leicester, Mature Cheddar and Dairylea, then they can take their pick from that lot :D

@ Brettster, I don't do cereal mate, just bread, sliced ham, and a pint of beer :D

I did that in Switzerland when I was with Zee and Nick and I don't think they could beleive their eyes when I ordered a beer at 7am!

It's a holiday thing :D

Aido,

I've been to Bulgaria several times, but a few years ago now. I was up the coast at Golden Sands. That looks a nicer resort (hotels scattered about in woods up the hillside) as I passed through Sunny Beach on my way to Nessebar (a quaint-ish ancient village on a promontory just a bit further south)

Yes, beer was cheap, food good with as good a selection as any British high street - Curry, Chinese, burgers, kebabs. A great family destination... in the day time. At night it all changes - from about 7:30 the young girls come out looking for trade, can get a bit tiresome saying no all the time. A few racy bars with strippers etc along the sea front too.

I really enjoyed Golden Sands resort. there is a web site, check it out... somewhere

http://www.goldensands.bg/

there it is.

You'll love it with a bunch of mates. They all speak good English.

Cheers,

Paulk :geek:

It sounds like it should be ace then thanks Paul, I'm going to have to have a curry, but one of the lads won't touch it so I'll have to sneak in when they're at the beach!

As for saying no all the time, I'm sure I may have to say yes eventually :o

Don't think the lads I'm going with are going to be up for the strip bars and stuff anyway to be honest, they're pretty reserved, we're going to head to the normal bars and nightclubs and see how many of the locals we can pull :D

Fingers crossed this should be a fun week then!