Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Cover Of This Weeks Autocar

It seems at the moment that if anything new is coming out from Lexus, the autocar guys just make up the picture by grafting on the IS250 front! They did it on the possible BS series and now the IS nose is on the LFA. Seems a bit lazy to me!

The mag constantly refers to the LFA as Toyota's supercar. Does the Audi R8 ever get described as VW's?

I don't understand the apathy that surrounds Lexus in the press!

It seems at the moment that if anything new is coming out from Lexus, the autocar guys just make up the picture by grafting on the IS250 front! They did it on the possible BS series and now the IS nose is on the LFA. Seems a bit lazy to me!

The mag constantly refers to the LFA as Toyota's supercar. Does the Audi R8 ever get described as VW's?

I don't understand the apathy that surrounds Lexus in the press!

It is very frustrating that the media have to have a dig at every opportunity. Even if they get great line write ups and reviews....somewhere down the lien you will read something about it being Toyota this and Toyota that. Think thats why Lexus have been struggling so far throughout EU.

Well to be fair, that's not quite the same thing anyway. Audi has a history all of its own, and as far as I know, Audi actually predates VW. All that's happened there is that two companies have merged together - we don't call Aston Martins Fords do we?

With Lexus, it is a name that has been purely fabricated from thin air - its history is Toyota's history. In addition, I can't remember which, but it was either the new GS or the new IS that was the first actual Lexus - which means the company has only really been around for a year, so its gonna take time before Lexus gets the respect it deserves.

Don't want this to sound like I'm having a go, cos I'm not, but its just that Lexus is a very new brand, a creation of Toyota, so its going to be a long time before its fully accepted as a true luxury brand.

Also Autocar is notoriously biased towards the Germans, so there gonna take every opportunity to have a go that they can :)

Of course, they are sh***ing their pants because Lexus is truly quality and eventually they might lose respect in favor of Lexus.

That's why they have to try to convince the public (who doesn't know Lexus that well) that Lexus is just a Toyota (when they have nothing objective to say).

You can read it in any "general" forum. Again and again. Everytime a thread is started about Lexus, the jerry's-and-friends are criticising the Lex (mostly with cliché stuff).

So, from my point of view, these people are not truly car fanatics, because they FIRST look at the badge, and then they say either positive or negative things about it. It's just about being Japanese or European... A Jap is always bad, a European is always superb. Maybe they ought to test the car first without knowing which brand it is and then put their comments on paper. But hey, who can blame them for being patriotic?

This is what works for me: if you have a brain and you have to make a choice between bmw and Lexus, and you want to make that choice "objective", you'll probably go for the Lex. More value for money.

Well to be fair, that's not quite the same thing anyway. Audi has a history all of its own, and as far as I know, Audi actually predates VW. All that's happened there is that two companies have merged together - we don't call Aston Martins Fords do we?

With Lexus, it is a name that has been purely fabricated from thin air - its history is Toyota's history. In addition, I can't remember which, but it was either the new GS or the new IS that was the first actual Lexus - which means the company has only really been around for a year, so its gonna take time before Lexus gets the respect it deserves.

Don't want this to sound like I'm having a go, cos I'm not, but its just that Lexus is a very new brand, a creation of Toyota, so its going to be a long time before its fully accepted as a true luxury brand.

Also Autocar is notoriously biased towards the Germans, so there gonna take every opportunity to have a go that they can :)

Fair point, well made!

I also think Lexus Europe could do more in their PR department to improve the image of Lexus. For example, when the IS250 appeared in all the mags, it wasn't in blacks and silvers, it was in the much more niche gold, red and greens, which appeal to far fewer people.

I suppose if everyone new Lexus was as good as it is, everyone would be driving them, they'd be common as muck and most of us would be looking for a different brand. haha!