Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evening troops, all has been going well with the Aristo tt until today when it dropped 1.5 litres of coolant onto the floor after driving and engine turned off, it was dripping from the area in the centre of the engine near the gearbox behind the steering rack, is it likely to be a heater hose?? Posted this in 430 section too by mistake

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

You have a heater hose that runs at the back of the engine, this goes into the heater matrix inside the passenger compartment.

Mine went a few months ago and is a s0d to get to and replace, only about £30 from the Lexus Dealership, but becarefull of the heater valve, this is made of plastic and can snap easly, this cost me £50 to replace mine.

BR

Paul

Hi Matt,

You have a heater hose that runs at the back of the engine, this goes into the heater matrix inside the passenger compartment.

Mine went a few months ago and is a s0d to get to and replace, only about £30 from the Lexus Dealership, but becarefull of the heater valve, this is made of plastic and can snap easly, this cost me £50 to replace mine.

BR

Paul

Thanks have got it booked in with Martin James from supra forum who is expert on these engines he thinks it is that and will sort it, pain in the arse though, do you think it will be ok to drive if i leave fans on cold and take it steady, about 80 miles?

Hi,

Great info as usual Paul ;)

Id not take the chance of driving the car 80 miles with a chance of it over heating and warping the head.

Chips..

I know bit of a risk but it does not sem to leak under pressure, ie when the engine is running, just when it was turned off, and only dropped 1.5 litres out of 9, did not get any rise on temp gauge whilst driving

Hi,

The other thing to do if your going to drive the car the 80 miles,would be to undo the rad cap so it doesnt build pressure then you wont loose as much coolant,and keep the heater turned up on HOT if the temp gauge starts to go up to get rid of the heat build up.It might be worth taking some spare coolant with you for top up.

Chips..

Hi,

The other thing to do if your going to drive the car the 80 miles,would be to undo the rad cap so it doesnt build pressure then you wont loose as much coolant,and keep the heater turned up on HOT if the temp gauge starts to go up to get rid of the heat build up.It might be worth taking some spare coolant with you for top up.

Chips..

Thanks chips, will do, i had been advised to keep fans on cold during journey as it prob is a heater hose, will have plenty of coolant with me, whole journey is motorway so i will take it steady.Do you mean undo the rad cap so it is still on but cannot be pulled off?

cheers

Matt

Hi,

Chips..

Thanks chips, will do, i had been advised to keep fans on cold during journey as it prob is a heater hose, will have plenty of coolant with me, whole journey is motorway so i will take it steady.Do you mean undo the rad cap so it is still on but cannot be pulled off?

cheers

Matt

Hi,

Yep just turn the rad cap so it doesnt build up pressure,its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

The engine temp gauge might be a little higher than normal because the systems not under pressure,but you wont loose the fluid as quickly.

Chips..