Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Identify A Real Is200 !

KevH

This may sound a strange question to all you IS200 owners ! But Im looking at buying one on eBay. The problem is that is listed as a S model but it has all the spec of a Sport !

Its got leather seats, tinted rear windows , sports pedal, the sports kick plates , two tone steering wheel etc etc

Either a previous owner spent a lot of money fitting all the parts or it aint what it seems ! I did an HPI check and everything was clear but that doesn't mean anything .

If I buy it I want to identify its real identity ! So can any of you guys tell me where exactly I can find all the VIN plates and the engine serial number .

Thanks in advance

Kev

chassis number

Thanks but where exactly is it hidden . A lot of modern cars have them so you can see them thru the windscreen but some have them hidden under a flap of carpet next to the drivers seat. When I go to see it I want to be able to go straight to the correct place rather than strip half the car.

Thanks

Kev

on the lexus it is visable through the windscreen on the passenger side, also located on the bulkhead at the rear of the engine, get the chassis number and contact someone like a dealer, or chris shipley on these forums and it can be confirmed either way for you

Edited by Monster-Mat

Post up a link to the car you are thinking about..... ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...I%3AIT&rd=1

I don't really trust the seller ! Despite the fact that he says the theres no reserve and that the buyers can value it hes actually shill bidding (bidding himself using another eBay account) to boost the price !

Anybody know where the enginer serial number is since Ive seen chassis numbers faked before .

Thanks guys

Kev

I can't see where it says it's an 'S' model - all it says is Standard Car.

The guy's recent history shows he's sold a fiesta but nothing else for months so I'd guess he's not a trader. I can't see anything to make me believe it's not a sport model and the guy just isn't used to advertising cars.

Might be being too trusting but...

The guy's recent history shows he's sold a fiesta but nothing else for months so I'd guess he's not a trader. I can't see anything to make me believe it's not a sport model and the guy just isn't used to advertising cars.

I emailed the seller and he tols me it was a S model , I also did an HPI check and it said it was a S model .

I dug deeper into his history and he has sold about 6 other cars as far as I can tell , he also uses a false account under the name of marialouise314. Both user names are registered in the same area and according to the feedback records marialouise bought 5 cars in a very short period of time from this guy. Have alook at the fiesta again and click on the bidders and you will see that marialouise314 bid on that one as well !

So at least someone agrees it looks too much like a sports model !

Thanks

Kev

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the car has a sunroof, which means its definitely not an 'S' model. Only thing that's confusing me is the spoiler as that's not the sport spoiler, but I suppose if the fixing holes are in the same place then it could easily have been swapped over at some point

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the car has a sunroof, which means its definitely not an 'S' model. Only thing that's confusing me is the spoiler as that's not the sport spoiler, but I suppose if the fixing holes are in the same place then it could easily have been swapped over at some point

Hmm , interesting ! Ive just emailed the buyer and asked if it has a sunroof fitted .

Thanks

Kev

Hmm , interesting ! Ive just emailed the buyer and asked if it has a sunroof fitted .

Thanks

Kev

Yep that should do it, 's' dont have sunroof :D

RAC says the same thing:

Vehicle details

Manufacturer LEXUS

Model IS200 S

Body type SALOON

Colour BLUE

Fuel type PETROL

Date manufactured 31 December 2000

Number of previous owners 2

Last owner change 27 June 2005

Although I've seen Sports called S before, could it not just be the DVLA registering them wrong?

That car has had a lot done to get it to a sport spec, sounds like a ringer to me.... Steer well clear. :o

Yip it certainly looks like it !

Kev

I emailed the seller and he tols me it was a S model , I also did an HPI check and it said it was a S model .

I dug deeper into his history and he has sold about 6 other cars as far as I can tell , he also uses a false account under the name of marialouise314. Both user names are registered in the same area and according to the feedback records marialouise bought 5 cars in a very short period of time from this guy. Have alook at the fiesta again and click on the bidders and you will see that marialouise314 bid on that one as well !

So at least someone agrees it looks too much like a sports model !

Thanks

Kev

If nothing else Id contact eBay as what he's doing is illegal.

Just noticed he's stated theres 2 keys, should infact be three. As mentioned, he's done alot of work to the interior as it does look like a sports interior.

Id be more than wary on this!

Although I've seen Sports called S before, could it not just be the DVLA registering them wrong?

Can a Lexus dealer tell from the chassis number ?

Kev

Kev

They should be able to, yes.

Kev

They should be able to, yes.

Great, just emailed the guy and told him that I need the chassis number so that I can get a price from Lexus to upgrade the brakes !! (OK just a little lie!)

See what happens !

Thanks

Kev

To be fair though why would someone go to all the effort and expense of buying all the parts to pass the car off as a Sport - maybe this guy just bought it as is?

I'd have thought the steering wheel on it's own would be near the cost difference between the two? Aren't they something stupid like £700, or would that be the TRD ones I'm thinking of?

To be fair though why would someone go to all the effort and expense of buying all the parts to pass the car off as a Sport - maybe this guy just bought it as is?

I'd have thought the steering wheel on it's own would be near the cost difference between the two? Aren't they something stupid like £700, or would that be the TRD ones I'm thinking of?

I don't think that's the issue here, its whether the car's a 'Sport', but the plates are off an 'S', implying it might not be as it seems....... :unsure:

I don't think that's the issue here, its whether the car's a 'Sport', but the plates are off an 'S', implying it might not be as it seems....... :unsure:

Yip, Im not too bothered is it is an S and someone spent a lot of money making it look like a Sport , Im just worried that the car is a ringer . :crybaby:

Thanks

Kev

Buy the way guys thanks for all your quick replies . I do appreciate it . :)

Im new to Lexus once I get my hands on one Im going to be looking into some interesting projects ! :winky:

Cheers

Kev

My Chasis number is right at the back of the engine bay stamped into the cars bodywork. I have the SE model. :)

I think the seat controls on the S model are manual where you have to turn them. On the SE and Sport model they are fully electric. Maybe an easy way of telling?.]

My Chasis number is right at the back of the engine bay stamped into the cars bodywork. I have the SE model. :)

I think the seat controls on the S model are manual where you have to turn them. On the SE and Sport model they are fully electric. Maybe an easy way of telling?.

That would normally be the case but the interior including the seats have been changed to SE/Sport ones.

Personally if your unsure, dont do it. Theres plenty of IS200's out there, just keep looking till you find one your happy with mate.

All looks a little bit iffy.....