Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does The New Compact Road Angel Work?

Buzzz

I am considering one of these for the IS250. However, the manufacturer states that the unit will not work if the car is fitted with a 'heat reflective windscreen'. If this is the case then you have to purchase an external ariel, don't really want to spoil the look of the car after spending the money!!

So, just wondered if anyone has one fitted, also where and how do you mount it. The final thing is have you hard wired it in and do you leave it in situ, or remove it after every trip.

Sorry lot's of questions!!

I am considering one of these for the IS250. However, the manufacturer states that the unit will not work if the car is fitted with a 'heat reflective windscreen'. If this is the case then you have to purchase an external ariel, don't really want to spoil the look of the car after spending the money!!

So, just wondered if anyone has one fitted, also where and how do you mount it. The final thing is have you hard wired it in and do you leave it in situ, or remove it after every trip.

Sorry lot's of questions!!

I've got one in the IS200 Sport, but haven't tried it in the IS250..I'll do this and let you know the answer if no one has come up with an answer by the time I get back to the UK (next week-end).

are the road angels worth getting?? do they work well??

I think all the current breed of GPS detectors work quite well, I was going to get a road angel recently but then decided on the new Snooper sapphire instead cos I loved the gloss black/chrome finish, and the colour screen! It works just as well though, so just pick the one you like most :)

181493724.jpg

Where do you mount the unit and is it large? Do you leave it in the vehicle when parked or take it out?

Just sticks to the windscreen - as the antenna is built in and it has a Battery, there are no wires at all and sits very neatly between the speedo cluster and satnav.

Never leave it on show when the car's parked as its bound to get stolen if I did that :o

Not very large at all, slightly larger than a candybar style mobile phone, here's a pic alongside my moto V3x and I-mate Jam:

181532881.jpg

Where did you buy the unit from? Did you have to buy a charger etc or just the unit?

Any chance of a picture showing where exactly you mount the unit?

Sorry this took a while, been a little busy :blush:

Got it straight from Snooper at the Motor show, think it was £180, they're somewhere around £200 normal price. Everything you need comes in the box, windscreen mount, mains charger, car charger and usb cable.

This is where I put it in my IS, and it works fine.....

182281572.jpg

A renault we used to have had a heat reflective windscreen, but that looked like a mirror from certain angles - as the new IS doesn't, I would guess that it doesn't have a heat reflective windscreen but I'm most likely wrong ;)

Where did you buy the unit from? Did you have to buy a charger etc or just the unit?

Any chance of a picture showing where exactly you mount the unit?

Sorry this took a while, been a little busy :blush:

Got it straight from Snooper at the Motor show, think it was £180, they're somewhere around £200 normal price. Everything you need comes in the box, windscreen mount, mains charger, car charger and usb cable.

This is where I put it in my IS, and it works fine.....

182281572.jpg

A renault we used to have had a heat reflective windscreen, but that looked like a mirror from certain angles - as the new IS doesn't, I would guess that it doesn't have a heat reflective windscreen but I'm most likely wrong ;)

been thinking about one of these snooper sapphires......do you have to update regularly and/or does it use a radar detector aswell (or is it solely GPS). am i also correct in assuming there is a monthly subscription charge??

cheers

rob

been thinking about one of these snooper sapphires......do you have to update regularly and/or does it use a radar detector aswell (or is it solely GPS). am i also correct in assuming there is a monthly subscription charge??

This one is just GPS - I wasn't personally too bothered about having a radar or laser detector, its mainly just to know where cameras are when going places I've never been to before.

I've so far paid £99 for a 2 year subscription - updates take just a few seconds, plug it in via USB and click update :)

I wanted a Battery operated unit so it could easily move between cars and also have no installation. That narrowed it down to just the Sapphire and the new Road Angel - I know the road angel has the laser detector too but I decided to go with style instead :D (hope that doesn't come back and bite me in the a*s!)

I have to say i'm glad I installed the laser unit on my Origin B2, it has saved me a few times on the A50. Fuzz sitting on bridges accross the road :tsktsk:

Does it actually catch the the laser then before they get you? Might have to install a separate device then if it actually works...... ;)

I have to say i'm glad I installed the laser unit on my Origin B2, it has saved me a few times on the A50. Fuzz sitting on bridges accross the road :tsktsk:

lee, what are the benefits of the Origin B2 over something like the snooper sapphire?? does it tell you speed limits etc, or just flag up radars??

Thanks for everyone's participation so far. But has anyone got a GPS based unit working on a new IS250 without the need for an external ariel? It would seem that no one knows whether the new IS250 has a heat reflective front screen or not.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for everyone's participation so far. But has anyone got a GPS based unit working on a new IS250 without the need for an external ariel? It would seem that no one knows whether the new IS250 has a heat reflective front screen or not.

Thanks in advance

I was surprised when I tried the IS 250 SE-L with the Multimedia package to find how unsophisticated the Sat Nav is when compared with devices like the TomTom costing only a fraction of the price. In particular, the apparent inability to do regular mapping updates and to add POI data bases is very poor. There are several on-line Safety Camera data bases that show all the current cameras and the regular sites of mobiles. The one that I use is updated monthly.

Not to be able to input such data bases to equipment that costs as much as this seems to be either inept of perverse.

Or have I misunderstood? Does anybody update and write their own DVDs for the Lexus system?

Thanks in advance

Have a Road Angel Plus working fine in mine without an external antenna if that helps

Regards

Barry

Thanks in advance

Have a Road Angel Plus working fine in mine without an external antenna if that helps

Regards

Barry

Thanks for that, exactly what I wanted to hear! Looks like an order will be placed shortly for the Compact!!

Does it actually catch the the laser then before they get you? Might have to install a separate device then if it actually works...... ;)

I presume so, it gives you a bit of time to slow down before you see them.

The A50 is the only road i've been able to try it on as I don't drive the car that much and that road is pretty straight. It did go mad in Calais port where they have the speed traps as well. If you react quick enough you'll be ok.

lee, what are the benefits of the Origin B2 over something like the snooper sapphire?? does it tell you speed limits etc, or just flag up radars??

Not really tried anything else mate. It tells you your speed and when i camera is coming it tells you what speed you should be doing. It also tells you of specs camera's and how many there are in the zone.

Not really tried anything else mate. It tells you your speed and when i camera is coming it tells you what speed you should be doing. It also tells you of specs camera's and how many there are in the zone.

so its purely laser activated and not GPS?

so its purely laser activated and not GPS?

No mate its GPS with a laser detector addon.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links