Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d V Bmw 320d

This if my first post...

BMW 320d v Lexus IS220d

The following is my impressions of the two cars after a 4 day evaluation.

Background, to help me decide on my comapany provided wheels for the next 3 years and circa 120,000 miles, I managed to get a 4 day test drive of each of the cars ie. drop off monday morning collect friday afternoon.

While I live in Lancashire (North West of England), I work monday to friday in Scotland and so I had the chance to take in various driving conditions the basics of which were

Motorway M6, M74 - North of Lancaster the M6 has next to no traffic so a sustained 90mph on cruise control is possible for many interupted miles (total bliss!)

A701 - This is the scenic route from M74 to Edinburgh and is in my oppinion one of the best driving roads in the country, 50 miles of empty tarmac with fabulous bends and the ability to see well into the distance for on-comming traffic a joy to drive and a real test of a cars handling and composure.

Motorway M8 - typical stop start and bumper to bumper sub 70mph motorway slog on a par with the worst bits of M1, M6, M25 - horrible but bearable in the right car.

Glasgow and Edinburgh city centre - typical big city congestion and third world standard pot holed roads.

First impressions

Lexus - driver arrived at 7.30am, car was exactly as requested and spotless clean. model IS220d base model with multimedia upgrade (Mark L. stereo, sat.nav, bluetooth), Messa Red, beidge interior. Mileage 7,000

BMW - driver arrived early afternoon car was not as requested (320dES not 320dSE). Car was brand new, Black, black interior with only 500 miles on the clock

Winner Lexus

Looks and style

Lexus - very good looking car although 17inch alloys finish it off to perfection, wife was deeply impressed stating no way could I get this car way to posh, neighbour opposite came over to admire the car though it was fantastic, other neighbour loved it but was not happy as reckons its much nicer than his A4.

BMW - very boring, no one noticed, wife instantly disliked it saying it was dull and dismal, I had to agree it did not feel in the least bit special

Winner Lexus

Interior space, driving environment

Lexus - superb in the front, difficult to get into in the back and definitely on the tight side (tough on the kids then!). Cockpit and instruments exude quality and really make you feel special, seat adjustment is easy, hand brake is too high and has to be pulled very hard to engage but a very very nice place to be for hours on end. Boot is not very big but I can put a top box on for holidays.

BMW - space in front and back is better than Lexus, boot is bigger plus no spare wheel. Cockpit quality is very good possibly slightly better than Lexus (not up to Audi standards) but it is all so dull, boring, functional and does not justify the high price. The seats are hard to adjust (dangerous if on the move!) as the height requires you to lift your body weight and let the seat catch you up, seatback adjustment is via a lever and you end up too far back or forward, much prefer the Lexus rotary nob. BMW seem to have addopted Vauxhalls daft one touch approach to control stalks and with the wipers I was never sure what they were set to, please can manufacturers leave one touch well alone.

Overall the BMW cockpit would have been ok in a base model mondeo or vectra but is simply outclassed by the luxury of the Lexus.

Winner BMW for space, Lexus for environment you takes your pick

Gearbox / gearing

Lexus - notchy from first to second, slightly long throw but perfectly useable, reverse easy to find. I have read numerous critisism of the high Lexus gearing, I agree it is not perfect and can lead to the car labouring but for me I loved the very high 6th gear, at 85-95mph were many of us drive when conditions allow, it is perfect leading to turbine smooth relaxed low rev. crusing. 60-70 on off driving on a congested motorway would suit 5th better which feels like top on most cars.

BMW - very notchy and rather unpleasant, this could be down to low mileage and seemed to improve noticeably if you pushed the clutch to the floor when changing but this is not how I like to drive. Reverse was very challenging to engage often needing several very hard and unatural pushs downwards and across

to engage. BMW have got the gearing spot on if only the box shifted better, see what you think I may have got a duffer as I normally love BMW gearboxes.

Winner - a draw, BMW if you get one with a good gearbox

Engine and performance

Lexus - The Lexus diesel engine was beautifully smooth and quiet and I really can't recognise the critisim motoring jornos have made. The power delivery is not as uniform as the BMW with a noticable lag till approx 1,800rpm when a huge dollop of power and torque kicks in followed by a tail off around 4,000rpm.

If it were not compared to the BMW, the power delivery would be seen as fabulous but it always seems to take a fraction longer to respond and wind up the power than the BMW. Refinment wise, I think the Lexus has the edge, more because it issolates engine rumble and noise better. There is no way I'm going back to petrol now we have such fantastic diesels. The Lexus is a little slow of the mark but in the right gear it goes like stink with effortless overtaking ability. On clear motorways you really need cruise control as the very tall 6th lulls you into a perception of slower speed, take your eye of the ball and you are hitting 120mph in no time and with the supreme quietness of the car it feels like 70mph

BMW - This engine is equally impresive for smoothness and quietness however it has the edge in terms of power delivery with a broad power/torque band very similar to a petrol. The engine intrudes into the cockpit more with noticeable rumble if your hand is sat on the gear stick at idel and a definite vibration through the clutch pedal if you leave your foot resting gently on the pedal at speed as I do. The BMW also provides storming performance and instant overtaking wallop, this is a seriously quick point to point car.

Winner - BMW by a fraction but both are superb

Economy

Lexus - I was deeply worried about fuel economy after reading scare stories of low 30's mpg. My economy over 761.1 miles was exactly 42mpg both from the on-board computer and by brimming and refilling the tank. Much better than I expected and close to my present A4 TDI average of 45mpg

BMW - I was expecting the BMW to wipe the floor with the Lexus and get close to 45/46mpg. Over 648.4 miles I averaged 42.5mpg again by on-board computer and tank briming. I expect the BMW will probably increase by 10% once it lossens up but not the convincing win I expected.

Winner - BMW

Drive,suspension and Handling

Lexus - After reading the press mags, I was expecting a disapointing drivers car however the Lexus handled precisely and kept its composure very well down the A701. The car goes exactly where you want it to and does not roll or heave around the bends. It also has excelent streight line stability making overtaking artics/tractors on narrow roads/lanes very confident. The ride and suspension are lovely and smooth unquestionably better than the BMW on good surfaces the ride is like gliding on air. Potholes and road noise are very well subdued.

BMW - One thing the jornos have got right is the BMW being a drivers car, it really does handle fantastic and you find yourself bombing down roads at a far higher speed than you would think possible. The ride and suspension are very good but definitely harder than the Lexus and a little more tiring on a long bumpy journey. On two occasions the BMW tail swung out then re-bit the road and streightend up nothing too off putting but somehow the numerous stability controls seemed to be asleep. Note I'm not one for switching such devices off. Overall if you live for driving like a bat out of hell and value this above a comfortable, soft, compliant ride, the BMW is for you but the Lexus is perfectly ok for me.

Winner - BMW for racers, Lexus for occasional racers

Equipment and value for money

Lexus - this is a no contest for me, the Lexus smashes the BMW on standard kit and equipment. The attention to detail is fantastic and the little things I though were gimmicks such as puddle lights and keyless entry are truely desirable once you have tried them. My car came with the ammitedly expensive multimendia upgrade, Mark Levison stereo (no I don't know who he is either), sat nav, Bluetooth, DVD player and reversing camera, its worth every penny.

Check your mobile will Bluetooth and transfer address book numbers as there are some compatibility concerns and I would rather have had digital radio than the additional speakers and amps which can't be appreciated when listening to Radio 4/5. I'm dreading replacing the Lexus in 3 years as it has every toy I

can imagine absolutely fantastic and great value for money. The DVD player let me watch the Simpsons when sat in stationery traffic - tops!

BMW - What a disapointment the 320d ES was. The radio is confusing and overly complicated, the ES has manual aircon no climate control or separate zones, there is no cruise control, the drivers arm rest is set too far back and for me was an uncomfortable obstacle which you can't move, you can upgrade to a sliding arm rest for peanuts but why don't BMW just provide this as standard? The interior made me feel like I was driving a bargin basement bottom of the range former eastern block car. I know this is one up from the bottom of the 3 series range and all my criticisms can be put right by buying options but the spec. and drab interior look was way behind Fords, Vauxhalls, Hondas et al and yet the price is way above.

Dealer service

Lexus - Went to Lexus Glasgow one evening rush hour to see an IS in the flesh, the sales woman was superb, taking time to tell me all about the car despite me saying it was a company purchase and all they might get by way of a sale was the servicing. A traffic warden approached and they offered to move my car

for me and avoid a ticket, they also offered to ring me when they had the colour I wanted so I could see it. I felt very wanted and special - fantastic.

BMW - Went to BMW dealer (name witheld) and asked about 3 series, the sales man pointed and said 'have a look they are all parked outside' and walked off

needless to say so did I.

Winner - Lexus

Niggles - Rear view mirror vibrates on motorway making it very difficult to spot police cars from behind and making you feel ill over time, digital radio would be good, 17 inch alloys on base model would be good

Overall - You can probably tell I was very impressed with the IS220D, so much so I have ordered one and it arrives 24th October !!!! can't wait.

I've read pretty much every IS review (Whatcar, Topgear, AutoExpress,Autocar,Test Drive,Fifth Gear, nearly spent more on car mags than on the eventual car and stressed Google to breaking point with searches) and I can truly say many of them are so so off the mark with their obsession with the 3 series, its good but simply not as good as the IS.

The IS is a car that makes you feel very special every time you drive it, gets lots of attention and is fantatstic if you have to spend hours every day at the wheel.

Hope this helps you decide which is best

Hope I'm still impressed 3 years and 120,000 miles from now

Welcome to LOC. Interesting read

I owned both and could not agree more with your accurate comparison BUT if its a diesel auto then of course its BMW ! I still cannot understand how BMW get away with a horrible stereo system and what looks like a really cheap interior! Fuel economy does not change much on the BM and is overstated by even more than lexus . Like you I have come back to Lexus and with minor concerns think it a much better package all round . I did not like the ride on run flat tyres either! A final point my BMW was handed over with about a cup of fuel and paint swirl marks all over due to sloppy preparation

alan

Nice first post and a very interesting read. I agree with all of what you say and am at a loss as to why journos seem to think the BMW 3 series is such a great car and that the IS is average. One example is that almost every review I have seen where the two cars are compared mention the fact the BMW has the bigger boot but none have ever mentioned the fact that the BMW doesn't have a spare tyre. This is hardly objective reporting. I have given up on the motoring press and prefer to look at the opinions of those people who actually drive the cars day in day out.

Great choice of car by the way, you won't be disappointed.

What a great report :excl: I have not long had my IS 220d Sport, and your report is spot on. I agree with the gearing and performance. I would hope Lexus could change the power under 2K rpm as some roundabouts can be a bit interesting if the turbo doesn't kick in in time :blink: I have the rattles too, very annoying :angry:

Like you, I have a number of people comment on the look of the car and you do get people in the street watch you go by, B)

I think the dealers are very approachable and always willing to help. Reading Lexus (where mine is from) were very good when I was buying mine and have been with the aftersales.

hope you enjoy your car!

This if my first post...

BMW 320d v Lexus IS220d

The following is my impressions of the two cars after a 4 day evaluation.

Background, to help me decide on my comapany provided wheels for the next 3 years and circa 120,000 miles, I managed to get a 4 day test drive of each of the cars ie. drop off monday morning collect friday afternoon.

While I live in Lancashire (North West of England), I work monday to friday in Scotland and so I had the chance to take in various driving conditions the basics of which were

Motorway M6, M74 - North of Lancaster the M6 has next to no traffic so a sustained 90mph on cruise control is possible for many interupted miles (total bliss!)

A701 - This is the scenic route from M74 to Edinburgh and is in my oppinion one of the best driving roads in the country, 50 miles of empty tarmac with fabulous bends and the ability to see well into the distance for on-comming traffic a joy to drive and a real test of a cars handling and composure.

Motorway M8 - typical stop start and bumper to bumper sub 70mph motorway slog on a par with the worst bits of M1, M6, M25 - horrible but bearable in the right car.

Glasgow and Edinburgh city centre - typical big city congestion and third world standard pot holed roads.

First impressions

Lexus - driver arrived at 7.30am, car was exactly as requested and spotless clean. model IS220d base model with multimedia upgrade (Mark L. stereo, sat.nav, bluetooth), Messa Red, beidge interior. Mileage 7,000

BMW - driver arrived early afternoon car was not as requested (320dES not 320dSE). Car was brand new, Black, black interior with only 500 miles on the clock

Winner Lexus

Looks and style

Lexus - very good looking car although 17inch alloys finish it off to perfection, wife was deeply impressed stating no way could I get this car way to posh, neighbour opposite came over to admire the car though it was fantastic, other neighbour loved it but was not happy as reckons its much nicer than his A4.

BMW - very boring, no one noticed, wife instantly disliked it saying it was dull and dismal, I had to agree it did not feel in the least bit special

Winner Lexus

Interior space, driving environment

Lexus - superb in the front, difficult to get into in the back and definitely on the tight side (tough on the kids then!). Cockpit and instruments exude quality and really make you feel special, seat adjustment is easy, hand brake is too high and has to be pulled very hard to engage but a very very nice place to be for hours on end. Boot is not very big but I can put a top box on for holidays.

BMW - space in front and back is better than Lexus, boot is bigger plus no spare wheel. Cockpit quality is very good possibly slightly better than Lexus (not up to Audi standards) but it is all so dull, boring, functional and does not justify the high price. The seats are hard to adjust (dangerous if on the move!) as the height requires you to lift your body weight and let the seat catch you up, seatback adjustment is via a lever and you end up too far back or forward, much prefer the Lexus rotary nob. BMW seem to have addopted Vauxhalls daft one touch approach to control stalks and with the wipers I was never sure what they were set to, please can manufacturers leave one touch well alone.

Overall the BMW cockpit would have been ok in a base model mondeo or vectra but is simply outclassed by the luxury of the Lexus.

Winner BMW for space, Lexus for environment you takes your pick

Gearbox / gearing

Lexus - notchy from first to second, slightly long throw but perfectly useable, reverse easy to find. I have read numerous critisism of the high Lexus gearing, I agree it is not perfect and can lead to the car labouring but for me I loved the very high 6th gear, at 85-95mph were many of us drive when conditions allow, it is perfect leading to turbine smooth relaxed low rev. crusing. 60-70 on off driving on a congested motorway would suit 5th better which feels like top on most cars.

BMW - very notchy and rather unpleasant, this could be down to low mileage and seemed to improve noticeably if you pushed the clutch to the floor when changing but this is not how I like to drive. Reverse was very challenging to engage often needing several very hard and unatural pushs downwards and across

to engage. BMW have got the gearing spot on if only the box shifted better, see what you think I may have got a duffer as I normally love BMW gearboxes.

Winner - a draw, BMW if you get one with a good gearbox

Engine and performance

Lexus - The Lexus diesel engine was beautifully smooth and quiet and I really can't recognise the critisim motoring jornos have made. The power delivery is not as uniform as the BMW with a noticable lag till approx 1,800rpm when a huge dollop of power and torque kicks in followed by a tail off around 4,000rpm.

If it were not compared to the BMW, the power delivery would be seen as fabulous but it always seems to take a fraction longer to respond and wind up the power than the BMW. Refinment wise, I think the Lexus has the edge, more because it issolates engine rumble and noise better. There is no way I'm going back to petrol now we have such fantastic diesels. The Lexus is a little slow of the mark but in the right gear it goes like stink with effortless overtaking ability. On clear motorways you really need cruise control as the very tall 6th lulls you into a perception of slower speed, take your eye of the ball and you are hitting 120mph in no time and with the supreme quietness of the car it feels like 70mph

BMW - This engine is equally impresive for smoothness and quietness however it has the edge in terms of power delivery with a broad power/torque band very similar to a petrol. The engine intrudes into the cockpit more with noticeable rumble if your hand is sat on the gear stick at idel and a definite vibration through the clutch pedal if you leave your foot resting gently on the pedal at speed as I do. The BMW also provides storming performance and instant overtaking wallop, this is a seriously quick point to point car.

Winner - BMW by a fraction but both are superb

Economy

Lexus - I was deeply worried about fuel economy after reading scare stories of low 30's mpg. My economy over 761.1 miles was exactly 42mpg both from the on-board computer and by brimming and refilling the tank. Much better than I expected and close to my present A4 TDI average of 45mpg

BMW - I was expecting the BMW to wipe the floor with the Lexus and get close to 45/46mpg. Over 648.4 miles I averaged 42.5mpg again by on-board computer and tank briming. I expect the BMW will probably increase by 10% once it lossens up but not the convincing win I expected.

Winner - BMW

Drive,suspension and Handling

Lexus - After reading the press mags, I was expecting a disapointing drivers car however the Lexus handled precisely and kept its composure very well down the A701. The car goes exactly where you want it to and does not roll or heave around the bends. It also has excelent streight line stability making overtaking artics/tractors on narrow roads/lanes very confident. The ride and suspension are lovely and smooth unquestionably better than the BMW on good surfaces the ride is like gliding on air. Potholes and road noise are very well subdued.

BMW - One thing the jornos have got right is the BMW being a drivers car, it really does handle fantastic and you find yourself bombing down roads at a far higher speed than you would think possible. The ride and suspension are very good but definitely harder than the Lexus and a little more tiring on a long bumpy journey. On two occasions the BMW tail swung out then re-bit the road and streightend up nothing too off putting but somehow the numerous stability controls seemed to be asleep. Note I'm not one for switching such devices off. Overall if you live for driving like a bat out of hell and value this above a comfortable, soft, compliant ride, the BMW is for you but the Lexus is perfectly ok for me.

Winner - BMW for racers, Lexus for occasional racers

Equipment and value for money

Lexus - this is a no contest for me, the Lexus smashes the BMW on standard kit and equipment. The attention to detail is fantastic and the little things I though were gimmicks such as puddle lights and keyless entry are truely desirable once you have tried them. My car came with the ammitedly expensive multimendia upgrade, Mark Levison stereo (no I don't know who he is either), sat nav, bluetooth, DVD player and reversing camera, its worth every penny.

Check your mobile will bluetooth and transfer address book numbers as there are some compatibility concerns and I would rather have had digital radio than the additional speakers and amps which can't be appreciated when listening to Radio 4/5. I'm dreading replacing the Lexus in 3 years as it has every toy I

can imagine absolutely fantastic and great value for money. The DVD player let me watch the Simpsons when sat in stationery traffic - tops!

BMW - What a disapointment the 320d ES was. The radio is confusing and overly complicated, the ES has manual aircon no climate control or separate zones, there is no cruise control, the drivers arm rest is set too far back and for me was an uncomfortable obstacle which you can't move, you can upgrade to a sliding arm rest for peanuts but why don't BMW just provide this as standard? The interior made me feel like I was driving a bargin basement bottom of the range former eastern block car. I know this is one up from the bottom of the 3 series range and all my criticisms can be put right by buying options but the spec. and drab interior look was way behind Fords, Vauxhalls, Hondas et al and yet the price is way above.

Dealer service

Lexus - Went to Lexus Glasgow one evening rush hour to see an IS in the flesh, the sales woman was superb, taking time to tell me all about the car despite me saying it was a company purchase and all they might get by way of a sale was the servicing. A traffic warden approached and they offered to move my car

for me and avoid a ticket, they also offered to ring me when they had the colour I wanted so I could see it. I felt very wanted and special - fantastic.

BMW - Went to BMW dealer (name witheld) and asked about 3 series, the sales man pointed and said 'have a look they are all parked outside' and walked off

needless to say so did I.

Winner - Lexus

Niggles - Rear view mirror vibrates on motorway making it very difficult to spot police cars from behind and making you feel ill over time, digital radio would be good, 17 inch alloys on base model would be good

Overall - You can probably tell I was very impressed with the IS220D, so much so I have ordered one and it arrives 24th October !!!! can't wait.

I've read pretty much every IS review (Whatcar, Topgear, AutoExpress,Autocar,Test Drive,Fifth Gear, nearly spent more on car mags than on the eventual car and stressed Google to breaking point with searches) and I can truly say many of them are so so off the mark with their obsession with the 3 series, its good but simply not as good as the IS.

The IS is a car that makes you feel very special every time you drive it, gets lots of attention and is fantatstic if you have to spend hours every day at the wheel.

Hope this helps you decide which is best

Hope I'm still impressed 3 years and 120,000 miles from now

:D Absolutely briliant report !!! You have definitely read almost everything that has been written about the IS 220D because I can recognize some very specific words the "jornos" use almost everywhere. I am myself quite a diesel maniac and like yourself I cannot wait to take delivery of my 220D SE MMP in new velvet black colour. I have done exactely what you have done concerning what has been written about the new IS diesel and after printing out almost all the reports, I have to say that I think I must have chopped a few trees. Anyway, you couldn't have been any more to the point than you have and I am absolutely trilled that there is at least another driver out there who thinks exactely the same as I do. I have already test drove the IS diesel (with and without the MMP) four times already and at one point the Lexus rep thought that I might be a bit of a spy from the opposition or so. My baby should arrive within two weeks but I still cannot wait until then and now and again I go back on the Lexus website to get another look at it. I was very concerned at one point regarding the average consumption, but having read your comments I am mare than reassured now. At the end of the day it will depend on the way you drive the car. I am more than positive now that I have chosen the right car and having said that, only smart and very special people buy a special car, a Lexus. Well Done again for your report. Enjoy. :winky:

:D Absolutely briliant report !!! You have definitely read almost everything that has been written about the IS 220D because I can recognize some very specific words the "jornos" use almost everywhere. I am myself quite a diesel maniac and like yourself I cannot wait to take delivery of my 220D SE MMP in new velvet black colour. I have done exactely what you have done concerning what has been written about the new IS diesel and after printing out almost all the reports, I have to say that I think I must have chopped a few trees. Anyway, you couldn't have been any more to the point than you have and I am absolutely trilled that there is at least another driver out there who thinks exactely the same as I do. I have already test drove the IS diesel (with and without the MMP) four times already and at one point the Lexus rep thought that I might be a bit of a spy from the opposition or so. My baby should arrive within two weeks but I still cannot wait until then and now and again I go back on the Lexus website to get another look at it. I was very concerned at one point regarding the average consumption, but having read your comments I am mare than reassured now. At the end of the day it will depend on the way you drive the car. I am more than positive now that I have chosen the right car and having said that, only smart and very special people buy a special car, a Lexus. Well Done again for your report. Enjoy. :winky:

I was very concerned at one point regarding the average consumption, but having read your comments I am mare than reassured now.

The poor fuel consumption appears to be related to early (Jan/Feb) IS220d and Lexus now has a fix that involves fitting new fuel injectors (different type to those supplied).

Thanks for the feedback on my report. I was interested to see that you had a velvet black IS, mine is due 24th October and Lexus tell me it will be Velvet black not Astral black as I requested (it's a company purchase) is it true the Velvet is a metalic not solid paint as per the Astral? it's a daft question but is it very different from Astral?

It sounds like I will get a 2007 spec car, anyone know the differences, the US site does not go into much detail.

Any Lexus dealers out there give us some clues !! it might be worth your while, I just know when my new IS appears in the car park, the Audi/BM boys will be itching to swap :D

Thanks for the feedback on my report. I was interested to see that you had a velvet black IS, mine is due 24th October and Lexus tell me it will be Velvet black not Astral black as I requested (it's a company purchase) is it true the Velvet is a metalic not solid paint as per the Astral? it's a daft question but is it very different from Astral?

It sounds like I will get a 2007 spec car, anyone know the differences, the US site does not go into much detail.

Any Lexus dealers out there give us some clues !! it might be worth your while, I just know when my new IS appears in the car park, the Audi/BM boys will be itching to swap :D

:question: Yes John, you are right, it is a metalic paint and I saw a sample today at the dealership in Southend. It looks "the business" especially when you combine it with the oakham leather trim. I am sure that you will have a few of your colleagues eyes on her. And yes indeed it looks like the 2007 spec has an upgraded MMP due to the fact there were concerns over the compatibility after a 3 year period (taking into account the fast speed of IT developments). I have a japanese friend (playing games over the internet) and I asked him to look at their website (which is obviously in japanese and I don't understand a thing) and he confirmed that to me, but it doesn't say that it will apply to the IS for Europe. Anyway, it will probably transpire soon. Have a good day and be happy. Regards.

I was very concerned at one point regarding the average consumption, but having read your comments I am mare than reassured now.

The poor fuel consumption appears to be related to early (Jan/Feb) IS220d and Lexus now has a fix that involves fitting new fuel injectors (different type to those supplied).

:) Yes Scott you are right. I have asked this question the Lexus top rep in Southend and he confirmed this. All 2006 (march/april onwards) and 2007 models have got the modified injectors. The same development will be applied to the Rav T180 and Avensis T180 due to the same poor reports over the average consumption. :winky:

Mine seems OK now economy wise - delivered 17th March 2006 - also had it's Seatbelts done at "port"...I will double check though!! You never know (especially with my luck)

Really excellent review. You should be a motoring journo...

As I used to drive a 320d (2000 model) I totally agree with everything you say.

Just a quick comment about mine.....

Never had any rattles, apart from the wife, but that's removeable!

The car is just solid, day in, day out... everything as it should be.. quite boring really.

At the current rate of mileage as well, it will see the dealer only once a year, unlike my BMW that saw the dealership on an all too regular basis.