Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Imported Wheels From Usa

neil is200

Been looking on eay usa and the wheels on there are dirt cheap! set of 18" as little as 300 dollars. contacted customs and they said import tax of 4% and vat on everything inclueding delivery. Worked out that i can get a set of 18" wheels for £450 all in! Is this good value or will they be dodgy?post-2894-1156704378.jpg

the thing with rims, is that you are really betting alot (i.e. your safety) for a low price and nice looks. You just cannot tell how good a rim is online. I mean, even if you look at the rim in person, you wont be able to detect any poor workmanship at a material/grain level. I would always buy from a quality vendor to ensure good QC.

For example, I have a club mate, who bought a set of very nice looking rims (looks very similar to Rays CE28N). The rim itself looks totally top notch, except for the fact that the brand was not a well known one. The price was about 1/2 the rays (japanese import).

One day, he was driving, he hit a really deep pot hole at high speed, his rim crushed in, snapping 2 spokes. He was lucky he was able to stop safely and the rim didnt fly out and hit someone else's car on the hwy!

My advice, rims is "not" a part that you want to save on. There is a reason why a similar looking rim can have a 2x price differential.

Experienced manufacturers who make for racing (i.e. WRC or track etc) are good choices.

Sorry to sound naggy, but ppl tend to easily buy into the bling factor without considering safety. Its one thing to buy bling at discounted prices (like strut bars etc) for things that dont adversely affect the car ...

I imported mine, but then mine were custom made (3 month wait) and cost 15 times more than the ones your looking at :(

Bernard has given you some good advice, personally $300 for set of rims says to me there cheap tat.

I imported mine, but then mine were custom made (3 month wait) and cost 15 times more than the ones your looking at :(

Bernard has given you some good advice, personally $300 for set of rims says to me there cheap tat.

I agree with bernard and mrsingh, most of the decent brands i've seen for sale in the US (on clublexus.com) with lexus fitments retail for between $2000 and $3000 for a set. it's always exciting to get a bargain, but like bernard says, you don't want to find out the hard way if driving over a pothole..

however, try your luck, maybe they are discontinued wheels, hence the dirt cheap price?

They do look deceivingly nice. If you took mats advice and got them cleared coated, would that still not make them a better deal? I mean what else would go wrong with them?

@ Am your rims cost you nearly £7k!? Woah, I'm in the wrong line of work :)