Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turboing A Lexus

Hi i dont own a lexus yet, but hope to have 1 very soon, just wondering if it is possible to turbo the 6pot engine, or would it be better for me to find a lexus with a different engine?

What modifications will have to do to the engine to run turbo? or can i run 1 with low boost without changeing to much of the engine internals?

also will i loose lots of mpg turboing the engine?

cheers

Tom

Two choices:

IS200 1G-FE which is good for 250bhp / 7psi boost without upgrading the internals

IS300 2JZ-GE which can be taken to 500bhp / 24psi

ok next question, how do i know which car has which engine?

Check the bold bits :P

Another option is an Altezza RS200 - the 3S-GE engine, not sure how high that thing can go but a couple of the lads on here are pushing the 300bhp mark with a bolt on turbo or supercharger kit :)

i would, but hard to get hold of and as rare as anything...

so what engine does the is200 sport come with? and is it turboable?

Yeah basically mate the IS is only available with two different engines - as the boys have said the IS200 is the 2 litre version with the 1G-FE, and the IS300 is the 3 litre version with the 2JZ-GE, same as used in the NA Supras I believe?

The only mechanical differences between the IS200 S / SE & Sport models is that the Sport has slightly lower springs and the LSD - everything else is cosmetic stuff I think, apart from the radio, the SE & Sport both have an extra amplifier which is supposed to sound better - never heard the stock S unit so can't comment, and the Sport has rear tinted windows...

The IS300 is a 3 litre. It is different to the IS200 unit, i.e. not just a bigger bore. The IS200 unit is a fairly old design which doesn't really push the boundaries - hence it is so reliable.

Mr Morse is currently tinkering with his IS300 - might be worth having a word.

The 300 is an auto however and produces 212bhp (or around that mark) as standard. They are more expensive though, think you'll still pay £15k plus for one.

Best people to speak to are TDI or Prolex - they are the experts.

you dont need prolex or tdi for this,speak to mr morse or scarface, go on the us forums to investigate the IS300.Prolex can source you a rotrex charger,or maybe Mr morses old one,but only once youve decided that its the right thing to do.Speak to IS300 owners,they are the most informed cats.The 300 is sequential(e-shift),so better than auto

*******, alot of power there, 300 would sound better, im used to 250bhp from my rover, but i fear the insurance on a 3litre might kill me.

will the reliabilty be lost if i wacked a turbo on the is 200 1G-FE engine?

and how much bhp will i be getting?

Im 22 now, was 20 when i did that post, wow 2 years ago... on my rover insurance is £1500, well it would be... but i only pay insurance for the days i use it. like weekends or car shows etc.

www.dayinsurance.co.uk

i only pay £600 on my astra (work / runaround)

What happens if the car gets nicked though - guessing basically it's uninsured, or do you have 3rd party fire and theft elsewhere on the car (if you can even do that?)

if its nicked them im screwed, but its behind lock gates and its not very easy to steal... well they might get about 1/2 a mile before it blows up... or they loose control, rover has big problem with over heating, ive always gotta top water up and have fans on before going anywhere... if i dont i blow the head very easily... lol

Im 22 now, was 20 when i did that post, wow 2 years ago... on my rover insurance is £1500, well it would be... but i only pay insurance for the days i use it. like weekends or car shows etc.

www.dayinsurance.co.uk

i only pay £600 on my astra (work / runaround)

interesting, i wasnt aware you could do that

makes it about £3700 a year :crying:

might solve a problem i get occaisonly :D

how do you get on with buying tax for it ?

lukily i had it insured for few months over the summer when i got it taxed and mot'd so no problems there, but cancelled insurance cos was paying £1500 a year and used it less than once a week, not to mention it went about a month with no engine in it. Not the most realible car in the world.

Yup is handy www.dayinsurance.co.uk