Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Bmw X5 Looks Good...

So where does this leave Lexus? I'm halfway out the showroom already heading towards BMW. I am biding my time to go out and buy a new RX400h because I'm concerned about any imminent face lifts. The car journals now refer to the RX as looking dated and the compitition are all at the top of their game just now.

So what is the next 12 months going to deliver for the future of the RX400h. I'm saying 12 months because that's when an X5 will probably be available to drive away. Yes I'll have to compromise on spec and an X5 will likely be around £45k with little on it - but it will be brand new and pretty much depreciation proof for the first 12months or so. Lexus need to respond and fast. It may well hit current sales by announcing future upgrades but I doubt I'm alone by being desperate for this info.

I am so happy with my Lexus and I have NEVER owned a car for over 3 years - my IS is now a month shy of 5 years old having driven it out the showroom brand new in 2001. I don't want to leave Lexus but dynamically the BMW looks stronger.

Does anybody have some crystal ball insight for the RX400h/RX450h???? My biggest concern lies with any exterior changes.

No crystal balls here, sorry.

But I do have some comments about your post.

First of all, one of the things I appreciate most in Lexus is the fact that they DON'T facelift a model every 18 months like Mercs and BMWs.

X5 is brand new right now: as you said, by the time you actually put your hands on it, 2007 will be almost gone. So, the facelift for the X5 will be 12 months away.

On the other hand, if Lexus continues with its long established policy, the 400 will remain the same for the next 3 years, I would say.

Second, and please forgive me if I get a bit personal and nasty, no one on this earth needs a 45 K £ car.

You buy one because you like it and you can afford it (I can't, and that makes me a 2nd hander... :winky: ).

So if you like the X5, or the 400H or whatever car pleases you, go get it and stop worrying about its future value, the market, the updates...

What if you put 50 grands on the X5 (say) and every given morning you look at that blue and white logo in the middle of the wheel and wish you had bought the 400H (or vice versa)?

On the other hand, if Lexus continues with its long established policy, the 400 will remain the same for the next 3 years, I would say.

Second, and please forgive me if I get a bit personal and nasty, no one on this earth needs a 45 K £ car.

You buy one because you like it and you can afford it (I can't, and that makes me a 2nd hander... :winky: ).

So if you like the X5, or the 400H or whatever car pleases you, go get it and stop worrying about its future value, the market, the updates...

Thanks, you made me smile if nothing else.

I agree with you that nobody needs to spend £45k on a car, it's obscene and if I do spend that kind of money then it will be an extremely measured decision and one that is not taken at all lightly. This is why I have my concerns about getting the best value for my money and why I posted my questions about the future of the Lexus.

I for one do not want to buy an RX400 only to discover that a facelift was a matter of months away. A dealer won't give me a great deal of inside knowledge on a showroom floor so where else might it be possible to gleen some info? Oh yes - this forum!!

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and you certainly voiced yours. IMO there is no way that the RX400h will continue in it's current guise for another 3 years. Remember that the MkII came out in 2003 and I'm not convinced that a SAT Nav upgrade is all Lexus will do with the RX over the next year or so. Beside the new IS/GS/LS and the forthcoming LF-S then the RX is looking dated - so come on all you gurus out there, suprise me with some real info that will help me make my mind up!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links