Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Twin Turbo - Spark Plug Change

goodoldgrandad

Anyone any tips on how to get to and replace spark plugs on the TT. I've got the information for doing this on the GS300 but there is a lot more plumbing in the engine bay on my beast!!

There may be more plumbing, but the principle is the same that you have to remove the TB in order to get to the plugs.

OK - I was hoping someone would have found an easier solution rather than dismantling the engine bay on a routine service item. It's a shame Lexus/Toyota overlooked this in the original design - unless they have a hidden flap somewhere under the dash board to load spark plugs in !!

Isn't the TT easier? The throttle body isn't in the way. You just have to be careful unplugging and removing the coil packs, and be wary of brittle breather pipes (unless the VVTi is very different from the earlier TT).

Yes changing the plugs on a TT is a LOT easier then on a GS300 or N/A, just becareful not to round the screws holding the coil packs in place, also the little connectors plugged into the coil packs are very brittle, make sure you take care with them as they can cause you to misfire if damaged.

Perhaps I'm not looking at it from the right starting place!! On the MkII V300 VVTi twin turbo engine I've got (early 1998 production) it is possible with a torch to see the tops of the coil packs on the right of the engine block, but not possible to get near them with any tools and my big hands (unless things come out first). You can't see the left side of the engine block for the twin turbo pipework.

Can anyone clarify what is the best procedure to get to the coil packs and spark plugs in the first place!!

I'm surprised nobody posted this link up:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/spark_plugs/index.html

It's as easy as pie if you have the right tools :) Just make sure you don't break the brackets for the coilpacks and make sure you've ordered a set of Crank Case hoses from Lexus themselves...mine were brittle and fell apart when taking them off.

Excellent information - thanks everyone. I was confused by details obtianed for the standard GS300 engine layout and didn't think to whip off the top cover in front of me!! Looks a simpler job than I ever anticipated - and other people have said it's a Lexus only garage job.