Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pic Request

johno

just curious as to if there are any pics of an IS 200/300 on aftermarket 17" alloys? i've tried using the search function on here, but got nothing back, and most pics or others i've seen seem to have upgraded to 18" or higher, is there a reason for this other than purely cosmetic?

I've found a set i want...before i've found the car i want :D but just wanted to know whether its worth throwing the extra £150 at them to go up to 18"s in case the smaller ones look a bit lost in the arches!

cheers, john

btw, it would be lowered aswell! - dont want a tractor spec car! :lol:

I fitted 17"s because I wasn't going to lower the car as I didn't really intend modifying it too much..

Now got 18"s on with coilovers and looks alot better than 17"s

My avatar is 18"s and the banner below is 17"s

I fitted 17"s because I wasn't going to lower the car as I didn't really intend modifying it too much..

from what i've see...looks like that plan lasted a long time then! :lol::lol: hehe, always the case though, i spent a fortune on my focus when i had that and never intended on doing! as soon as the first mod goes on, its a long spiral down!

i've just been looking around the site a bit and saw yours on konigs, looks kinda cool with the smaller rims! will have to look into whether the one's i want come in 18" though.

adie was yours lowered on 17"? did you have much trouble with kerbs, speed bumps etc? only i live down a broken track and we've got a gravel drive which is an absolute ******* at the best of times, dont really fancy bottoming out on that!

most pics or others i've seen seem to have upgraded to 18" or higher, is there a reason for this other than purely cosmetic?

Yeah, prob just cosmetic/personal pref, and the fact that 18's are so more common nowadays means more tyres available and not so expensive as they were when only a handful of 18's available.

BTW mine is on 19's but not lowered at all. I think with the styling kit and wheels it does not need lowering, but I am sure others would disagree!

most pics or others i've seen seem to have upgraded to 18" or higher, is there a reason for this other than purely cosmetic?

Yeah, prob just cosmetic/personal pref, and the fact that 18's are so more common nowadays means more tyres available and not so expensive as they were when only a handful of 18's available.

BTW mine is on 19's but not lowered at all. I think with the styling kit and wheels it does not need lowering, but I am sure others would disagree!

I think they look nice .... as there is an equal radius to the arches all around, not flat at the top if you know what i mean... :blush:

I first lowered it on the 17"s with -30mm Eibach springs. No problems with ride quality, speed bumps or anything. It actually looked a little high still. Looked much better lowered even more with coilovers..

If you can get them in 18" then I would mate. As you are only going to probably want to change to 18"s anyway sooner or later.

Have you got any full size pics of your car? I'd really like to see how it looks on standard suspension. Although its a sport tho is it? So its lowered 15mm?

mr morse....dam thats nice! is that lowered by any at all?

theres just so many options, i really dont know which way to go! although that is a fair point about wanting to upgrade to 18"s at a later date. The ones ive found do come in an 18" option thankfully so i think i'll go down that route...although there is a black IS200 on autotrader with polished faced 19"s bolted to it that looks amazing, but id rather have go than show personally!

adie cheers for that, i think im gonna get some tein or KW coilovers, the last car i had was only lowered on springs and i didnt wanna go lower than -30mm on springs because of stories i've heard, might just be urban myth but id rather be safe than sorry!

is there much differential in handling between 18"s and 17"s??

Hi,

If you want to have a Good Look at what wheels are on most of the IS200 on the forum.

Have a look through the members Registry :winky:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...utocom=registry

As to the pros and cons of Alloy sizes,

You will have slightly more of a tyre footprint on the road with 18s V 17s so slightly more Grip with 18s.

The wider the tyre the more likely you will get tramlining on uneven roads.

18s will be more expensive to replace against 17s.

The lower the profile the harsher the ride.

:excl: Also make sure the wheel offset on the new alloys are right for your car,or the the tyres might rub the arches.

Chips..

mr morse....dam thats nice! is that lowered by any at all?

theres just so many options, i really dont know which way to go! although that is a fair point about wanting to upgrade to 18"s at a later date. The ones ive found do come in an 18" option thankfully so i think i'll go down that route...although there is a black IS200 on autotrader with polished faced 19"s bolted to it that looks amazing, but id rather have go than show personally!

adie cheers for that, i think im gonna get some tein or KW coilovers, the last car i had was only lowered on springs and i didnt wanna go lower than -30mm on springs because of stories i've heard, might just be urban myth but id rather be safe than sorry!

is there much differential in handling between 18"s and 17"s??

if u can wait a couple of days, i'll post up some pics of my IS in 17" rays rims.

TBH, when i tried driving my friends IS200 with 18, I did notice slight deterioration in the dynamics of the car during cornering. Personally, for a non turbo-d or charged IS200, I would stick with 17". But thats just me.

You also need to consider that the diameter is only 1 of the factors that affect the way a rim looks on a car.

You need to look at the width of the rim itself (as it affects the way a tire looks on a rim). A tire on a 7J or 7JJ or 8J could look quite differently. And i have seen ppl who have used these width with a 215 tire.

Of course, the offset is very important, cos a small offset (ie 38 or 40) would fill the wheel wells a lot better than a 50mm offset rim.

Anyways, its your choice really, as different ppl have different taste. As I said, if you can wait a couple days, I will post my car with 17s.

Bernard

Have you got any full size pics of your car? I'd really like to see how it looks on standard suspension. Although its a sport tho is it? So its lowered 15mm?

Yeah its a sport. Here you go, slightly bigger pics... I bought the car with those wheels and tyres so I think they are 19x8.5 wheels (actually not quite the right offset, or more likely just a bit too wide for the IS and the best offset available to make them fit). Tyres are 225/35 which are actually a bit too narrow for the wheels, but again they could be the best to actually fit without rubbing.

lexus_01.JPG

lexus_02.JPG

lexus_03.JPG

That ride is slammed Jay.... :D

I'd give ya +rep if I could :blink:

lol cheers, its lower now however as ive got a snapped spring on the back drivers side, in the process of looking at tein coilovers to help with the handeling as you can imagine its not too hot with a snapped spring lol.

Looking good Jay, btw what wheels are they

Coilovers are definatly the right way to go mate :)

they're ultralite grid wp811's in gun metal, any suggestions on coilovers apart from tein as ive read it will only drop the car 35mm

they're ultralite grid wp811's in gun metal, any suggestions on coilovers apart from tein as ive read it will only drop the car 35mm

Go back up to the pic of my 300 dude....she's dropped around 80mm all round, on HKS HiperMax RS coils

:offtopic:

As I understood it, most coilovers are adjustable height.