Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ebayer Car Buyer Robbed At Gunpoint

maneesh

Taken from skynews today, what are your comments on this? Would you ever pay cash for a car? Personally, I would try and do a BACS transfer or banker's draft.

A man who tried to buy a car advertised on eBay was robbed at gunpoint when he went to hand over the cash, it is reported.

Shahzad Ali Shah, 23, from Crawley, West Sussex, was told by the seller of a Mercedes Benz Kompressor C180 that a cash purchase would secure him his dream car.

Normally, transactions on eBay - an internet auction site - are done via a secure online payment service, cheque or postal order.

Mr Ali Shah told the Daily Mirror: "The man said if I paid in cash he would not offer it to anyone else.

"He said if I had the cash, the car was available and we could do the deal straight away. I put in an offer for £5,500 and he accepted."

The student agreed to meet the seller in east London and was accompanied by his mother and brother-in-law.

When they arrived, four men got out of a Vauxhall Corsa and surrounded the car, the newspaper reported.

Mr Ali Shah said an Asian man produced a gun, took their car keys and demanded the money for the Mercedes.

He said: "One said 'I'll count to three and if you don't hand over the money I'm going to do something'.

"He started counting and got to two and I shouted at my mum to hand it over. It was a terrifying ordeal."

As well as the cash, a purse and credit cards were reportedly stolen.

An eBay spokesman said it was the first such incident involving website users that he was aware of.

*****, that must have been scary. I have heard of many similar things from Autotrader etc. I guess not much difference.

Surely though if car is on eBay you go and look at it first ( without any money ), then agree a deal afterwards.

*****, that must have been scary. I have heard of many similar things from Autotrader etc. I guess not much difference.

Surely though if car is on eBay you go and look at it first ( without any money ), then agree a deal afterwards.

I suppose you could do that, but it could still be the same situation when u go back with the money? I'm surprised if it hasn't happend alot of times b4 :angry:

Paid for my current Ser 4 LS400 that way. Guess the guys DOG could have eaten me....but apart from that, he even put a full tank of petrol in before I left!

Lovely Lexus people, you see!

Paid £4500 for set of Avantgarde Duo speakers cash, too!

Will start hiding cash in LSs hidden security box, now....Doh! Now everyone will know!

It's a tough world out there, so take care?

Would you ever pay cash for a car?

Nope, never. I'd always pay with a banker's draft - if they won't accept it, there must be something weird going on.

We sold a car a few years ago, and was quite surprised that the guy came to buy it with £7.5k in cash in carrier bags! Wasn't even in £50 notes, was mostly £5s and £10s with a few £20s - very surreal indeed :o

Hmmm...interesting. I have bought two cars from eBay sellers in the past month and paid sizable cash sums on both ocassions.

Both sellers were fortunately genuine and I have two great cars to the bargain.

Guess I have just been lucky.

Its a mad world out there.

Would you ever pay cash for a car?

Nope, never. I'd always pay with a banker's draft - if they won't accept it, there must be something weird going on.

We sold a car a few years ago, and was quite surprised that the guy came to buy it with £7.5k in cash in carrier bags! Wasn't even in £50 notes, was mostly £5s and £10s with a few £20s - very surreal indeed :o

Yeap I'd pay cash at every instance - I paid for my uncles IS with cash, aswell as another car I purchased for another member of the family.

Funniest time with cash was when I had to place £16.5k in cash on a table at a Clive Elmson Auction for a property I bought. The table was right at the front of a hotel conference hall with around 500 people onlooking behind :lol:

Nine grand of what I paid for the GS was in cash. Attempting to nick the satchel off my shoulder that day would've been a dangerous thing to do! :P

A mate of mine's been offered a fake second chance offer on a car (and it's definitely fake). Baseball bat mini-meet, anyone? :lol:

yeah id always pay cash. im picking my new lexus up on tuesday and taking £5900 in cash with me! i took it with me when i looked at the car.

i wanted to drive away with it the night i went to look at it. but the guy didnt have the log book with him so i have to go back.

taking cash just saves all the messing about and wasted journeys most of the time.

they would have to prise it from my dead cold hand to get the cash off of me!!!