Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc - New Battery Required

pmarsh22

Guest inicol63
Hi

Need a new battery, whats the best ????

and is there a specific part number ???

Cheers

Hi I was told by my Local dearler that these battery's do not last that long.

He did say that the SC 430 go through their fair share of batterys and they should have been more powerful.

Welcome to the site and hope that someone will give you better information then myself.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I do know if I dont use my SC for a few weeks (3-4) that I have Battery troubles. Twice ive gone to the garage and had a flat Battery. Of course once you start charging a Battery from dead you risk having it shagged. As winters coming again I probs wont be using my SC that much again so will no doubt have Battery troubles again.

Ive heard the Optima batteries are the best, may try one latter in the year if I have problems again.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Battery problems with my 2001 SC. After the winter 2003 Lexus did replace the Battery for me free of charge. I did called the 'AAA' (well the ADAC) when the Battery was down the second time and did sent a complaint mail to Lexus. Since than my dealer did react immediatelly and helped me to start the car. He said Lexus doesn't want to have any Lexus appearing in the automobile club break down statistics. After he started my SC the 4th time Lexus paid the new pattery. Since than never ever had anything again. I have to say that I drive my SC only seldom and sometimes it just sits for 2 month in the garage doing nothing. My new 2006 SC seems not to have the Battery problem any longer. Always a 'strong' and easy start.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi

Need a new battery, whats the best ????

and is there a specific part number ???

Cheers

The best replacement Battery is from bosch. Shop around for the price about £80 is the average.

• 12 years later...

Not sure about that Malc if this price is correct 😀

Peter just make sure the terminal polarity is the correct way round, Lexus tend to have reversed terminals to most cars.

Buy a branded one with a good warranty, to be fair Lexus prices are very competitive even though they come from Toyota.

F648CA2D-C1F4-498C-8986-5141DA1E6CF0.png

Europarts have some good deals now and again, got one from them for my 2006 SC 50% off so £45 with 3yr guarantee. From what i have read the early cars did suffer a drain if not used for quite a while, i believe a back up re chagable Battery on security system caused the problem by eventually failing yet still calling for charge from main Battery

1 hour ago, PeterT said:

Thanks for replies so far I was thinking of this https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5008/

based on another old thread here:  https://forum.lexusownersclub.com/threads/sc430-battery-choices.3238/ but happy to be "steered" another way 🙂

just checked on that link for Tanya batteries and put in my reg ( on a IS250 ) and it came back with the wrong Battery! ( terminals reversed! could easily cause someone a world of pain in connected up with reverse polarity) Even one of the reviews on the page ( JW of Guildford with a IS250) says the terminals were the wrong way round and now his Battery connections are stretched tight! Cause Its The WRONG Battery...not a good place to buy I feel.

12 hours ago, Texas said:

just checked on that link for Tanya batteries and put in my reg ( on a IS250 ) and it came back with the wrong battery! ( terminals reversed! could easily cause someone a world of pain in connected up with reverse polarity) Even one of the reviews on the page ( JW of Guildford with a IS250) says the terminals were the wrong way round and now his battery connections are stretched tight! Cause Its The WRONG battery...not a good place to buy I feel.

I've often wondered why this causes people so much consternation.

As long as the Battery physically fits in the holder then wrong terminal position shouldn't matter - simply extend the Battery cables.

OK, I appreciate that a 'proper' Battery with terminals in the correct position is preferable, but connectors are made specifically for the job of extending Battery cables and it's not a 'bodge' to use them and do so. Given a long, arduous search to find a 'proper' Battery that will inevitably be more expensive, or the choice of getting one immediately off the shelf and extending the cables, I know what I'd do.

then at least get a quote for OEM from Lexus / Toyota who will pop it on for you too I'm sure

when replacing my ( ordinary ) Battery at Toyota it seemed pretty seamless and quite inexpensive  .....  why try to save a couple of squid when Toyota might be fine and correct

Malc

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

I've often wondered why this causes people so much consternation.

As long as the battery physically fits in the holder then wrong terminal position shouldn't matter - simply extend the battery cables.

OK, I appreciate that a 'proper' battery with terminals in the correct position is preferable, but connectors are made specifically for the job of extending battery cables and it's not a 'bodge' to use them and do so. Given a long, arduous search to find a 'proper' battery that will inevitably be more expensive, or the choice of getting one immediately off the shelf and extending the cables, I know what I'd do.

I’m curious Herbs, how do you easily and safely extend Battery leads?

Are we talking about removing the existing battery clamps then adding another piece of 50 odd mm2 cable and jointing it all up?

17 hours ago, Herbie said:

but connectors are made specifically for the job of extending battery cables and it's not a 'bodge' to use them and do so.

sounds like the very definition of the word bodge. Why would you do that when the correct Battery design is easily available.

The batteries don't last long in the SC if you have a parasitic drain issue which is a common problem and often the stereo amp - no lead-acid Battery will last long if it is been deep-cycled regularly.

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

I’m curious Herbs, how do you easily and safely extend battery leads?

Are we talking about removing the existing battery clamps then adding another piece of 50 odd mm2 cable and jointing it all up?

I suppose there's various ways of doing it Steve.

You could either just buy ready-made longer cables and replace the existing ones, or you could buy a couple of lengths of cable and solder lugs to make up your own cables to replace the existing ones, or you could add in a new piece and joint it with a joint box something like this one or maybe use Anderson Connectors.

I suppose that the flaw in my suggestion is that I'm an electrician by trade so I have the required tools and something like this is second nature to me, but I do concede that 'Joe Bloggs' may consider it a step too far, although there are plenty of Youtube videos to refer to if someone wasn't completely confident.

Some people may think that it's a lot of faffing about and maybe it is, but it depends on how elusive the 'correct' Battery with correct terminal orientation proves to be and at what cost.

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

sounds like the very definition of the word bodge.

Not at all. There are companies out there who manufacture joint boxes purely for the purpose of extending Battery cables, although I do agree that replacing is better than jointing.

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Why would you do that when the correct battery design is easily available.

Ah well, that's the whole crux of the matter isn't it?

These forums seem to have many people struggling for one reason or other to get a correct Battery for whichever car and this is just a workaround for the problem of reversed terminals if their search is proving fruitless.

Of course, if you have more than one car available to you then it may not be a problem but if, like me, you only have one car and the search for a Battery is keeping it off the road then this is a viable alternative.

22 hours ago, Texas said:

just checked on that link for Tanya batteries and put in my reg ( on a IS250 ) and it came back with the wrong battery! ( terminals reversed! could easily cause someone a world of pain in connected up with reverse polarity) Even one of the reviews on the page ( JW of Guildford with a IS250) says the terminals were the wrong way round and now his battery connections are stretched tight! Cause Its The WRONG battery...not a good place to buy I feel.

I bought a new Tanya Battery 2 years ago for my LS430. I think sometimes the specs they have against the Lexus range are not always accurate, but they are most helpful, just ring them, preferably with your Battery dimensions, I got the Battery model I needed but you can specify which way round the terminals are. Lexus as we all know tend to drain battery’s and even though Tanya give a 4 year warranty, it does exclude, like I guess others, failure through sulphate on the plates, which is a consequence of letting the Battery go flat.
I now use a CTek charger and connect and leave it when the car is idle, so no further problems.