Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hd Blu-ray Discs

Mr-Lex

Taking delivery of my new flash laptop :P ....Sony VGN-AR11s ....should be here anytime today :yahoo::yahoo:

I know UK "BR-D" are not available yet but anyone know where I can get hold of other region (preferably direct from person/retailer) websites etc are fine..... I'm aware eBay are selling them...

Hi Mate

does the graphics chip HDCP, if not then you woin't be able to play blue ray movie disc, i think.

found this article on it:

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/dvdburners...40091720,00.htm

Not sure about HDCP, but it can play blu ray movies(so far 25gb discs)...but saying that rumours has it that no first generation player will handle 50gb blu ray discs. This is obviously referring to pre-recorded BD50 media and not recordable discs. Sony, Pioneer, Samsung and Panasonic drives and players are all affected. Hopefully firmware will be forthcoming to resolve this - otherwise our players/drives might have a very short shelf life :o :crybaby:

Hi Mate

does the graphics chip HDCP, if not then you woin't be able to play blue ray movie disc, i think.

found this article on it:

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/dvdburners...40091720,00.htm

Not sure about HDCP, but it can play blu ray movies(so far 25gb discs)...but saying that rumours has it that no first generation player will handle 50gb blu ray discs. This is obviously referring to pre-recorded BD50 media and not recordable discs. Sony, Pioneer, Samsung and Panasonic drives and players are all affected. Hopefully firmware will be forthcoming to resolve this - otherwise our players/drives might have a very short shelf life :o :crybaby:

HDCP is more an output issue, but I don't think there's a problem with this laptop. The thing that you should bear in mind though is that the Sony computers only play blu-ray movies that have been encoded in MPEG-2. I'm not sure how these discs are encoded, but make sure that its not MPEG-4 as it won't play them.

Something else that I was wondering about the other day - could early DVD players play dual layer discs?

Something else that I was wondering about the other day - could early DVD players play dual layer discs?

I first bought a DVD player when they had just come out and was 'the new thing to have'. This was 6 or 7 years ago :unsure: and could play dual layer discs. It was a Sony and was the size of a house and cost about £600, (same one is about £150 nowadays)

Was reading something the other day saying the manufacturers didn't want either HD-DVD or BluRay playback to me made possible on 2000 / XP / Vista 32bit because so many tools exist that allow debugging which would make it easier for people to reverse engineer the protection - it was saying that only Vista running in 64bit mode will be able to playback the HD formats?

Not sure how much truth there is in that?

..:: Edit ::..

Actually just found this link clarifying - http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/arch.../24/450081.aspx? - no version of Vista will support HD content out of the box, they are leaving it up to the content providers, but they could still make the decision that 32bit is a no go!

Actually just found this link clarifying - http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/arch.../24/450081.aspx? - no version of Vista will support HD content out of the box, they are leaving it up to the content providers, but they could still make the decision that 32bit is a no go!

I really hope that's not true, cos I was planning on having a windows vista media pc as the hub of my AV when they come out :o

Is it not totally ridiculous to not allow playback? Although it does mean that people are forced to buy normal players, and people don't stop buying PCs, so its win win for them...... :angry:

But I thought Microsoft was supporting HD-DVD as it had much less copy-protection, but the movie companies preferred blu-ray because of its increased protection - this is all getting too confusing for me now :duh:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links