Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dvd Audio

This feature is not implemented in the car system because only 95% of the music is heard when the engine is started or the car is moving. The high definition information would also be lost with the inferior OEM amplifier and speakers.

I agree with much of what you say, but I personally wouldn't put the Mark Levinson system in the category of "inferior OEM amplifier and speakers"! Yes, a decent home set-up is going to outperform it, but it's the best I've ever heard in a car.

Just to clear up something as some of you have missed interpret the importance of the technology

DVD Audio and Audio DVD are two different thing. Audio DVD is same format as DVD movie and the quality is depended on the level of encoding compression used.

DVD Audio is similar to Audio CD. Audio CD is digitally uncompressed and the quality is depended on the number of bits that is used to create it. The maximum bits for a CD is 16 but some companies even claim 20 or 24bits format CD like Denon Master technology.

Some of you might have heard or even listened ot HDCD. HDCD sounds great comparing to normal CD but SA-CD (DSD technology) is even much better than HDCD quality as SA-CD can deliver 360 degrees surround sound.

High Definition Compatible Digital, HDCD-encoded CDs sound better because they are encoded with 20 bits of real musical information as compared with 16 bits for all other CDs. HDCD overcomes the limitation of the 16-bit CD format by using a sophisticated system to encode the additional 4 bits onto the CD while remaining completely compatible with the CD format. HDCD is a patented process that delivers on CD the full richness and detail of the original microphone feed. When listening to HDCD recordings, you hear more dynamic range, a focused 3-D soundstage, and extremely natural vocal and musical timbre. You get the body, depth, and emotion of the original performance-not a flat, digital imitation.

Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology reproduces the original sound without any distortion. The DSD technology behind Super Audio CD enables the recording and reproduction of sound in a way that makes it indistinguishable from the original, which can be a master tape from a live or studio recording, or a tape with precious archive material. The DSD signal is delivered in up to 6 separate channels (5.1 sound). Multichannel SA-CD sound can faithfully reproduce the original performance space. In practice this means that the geographical layout of an orchestra can be replicated in your home, bringing you closer to the live performance. An example of this can be heard on Linn CKD 180 Poulenc Organ Concerto", which exploits the rear channels to place the organ in its geographically correct position behind the listener. Multichannel SA-CD can also create a 360° sound environment which seems to envelop you in the music. SA-CD is a Hybrid that contains two seperate layers. One layer contains the normal CD information and the other contains the high density SA-CD information (a Multichannel of Stereo mix).

To conclude ...

All normal CD players can play HDCD but the last 4 bits of the high definition information will be lost. Only some SACDs are Hybrid CDs which can be played on all CD players. Some SA-CDs can only be played on compatible SA-CD players. So far none of the car stereo system can deliver the high definition information encoded on the HDCD or SACD. This feature is not implemented in the car system because only 95% of the music is heard when the engine is started or the car is moving. The high definition information would also be lost with the inferior OEM amplifier and speakers.

I think you mean audio CD is COMPRESSED as opposed to uncompressed.Thank you for that very full technical explanation...however the original thread regards compatibility of certain discs in the MM system.

I had a disc which I thought was DVD audio, and it played fine in the system, but no audio stream menu appeared....It transpires that this is actually a DTS format audio disc, and it seems that this is yet another variation on a theme. When a DVD Audio disc is loaded, what does the opening screen show it as? IE just CD / DVD / or DVD A ??

I agree with much of what you say, but I personally wouldn't put the Mark Levinson system in the category of "inferior OEM amplifier and speakers"! Yes, a decent home set-up is going to outperform it, but it's the best I've ever heard in a car.

If you just classify the car system by itself of-course there are low & high class between them. But it does not matter how good the car system is, it's still not comparable with a medium class home stereo system with you sitting in the middle of 6.1 or more channels. Why ? because we are too close to the speakers inside a car and we can never be sitting in the middle of the speakers of the car. Besides the cleanness and clearness of the audio and system, all proper system have a hot spot to create the best sound definition. All high definition audio require a certain distance from the speakers to create the environment and atmosphere. Hence the manufacturers would not waste time in adding the costly technology of SACD or HDCD in the car system but focus on how clean and clear the audio the car system can produce.

No doubt that Mark Levinson is a superior system and it's very hard to compare from one brand to another to say which one is the best. But I would still prefer Nakamichi over any other brand, those who had came across this brand would know what I mean :D

I think you mean audio CD is COMPRESSED as opposed to uncompressed.Thank you for that very full technical explanation...however the original thread regards compatibility of certain discs in the MM system.

I had a disc which I thought was DVD audio, and it played fine in the system, but no audio stream menu appeared....It transpires that this is actually a DTS format audio disc, and it seems that this is yet another variation on a theme. When a DVD Audio disc is loaded, what does the opening screen show it as? IE just CD / DVD / or DVD A ??

Audio CD is uncompressed means uncompressed in human terminology, NOT "as opposed to uncompressed", it's similar to Microsoft wave which is the best quality you can get from computer format. The content of Audio CD is digitally sampled audio with 16-bit resolution, ie. the best sound you can get with this format.

Those DVDs Audio I've seen loaded like CDs but it can display the title. And those Audio DVD that I've created myself is similar to DVD movie format with 2 or 5.1 channels, it's got menu, titles and a picture for each album or individual title.

No doubt that Mark Levinson is a superior system

That's all I wanted to hear - no-one's allowed to dis the Levinson! Especially after I paid all that extra money for it... :P

Agree with you on the space/positioning issues of speakers within a car environment. I suppose even in that confined space there is good and bad positioning and design of audio components. I think the ML system does quite well given the limitations of space.

So should you be able to skip a track on these DVD audios? I tried it today on JMJ Aero and it wasn't going anywhere ........ skips OK on the CD version though.

This is mainly recording dependence. Same scenario if you wrap all titles of an album into an mp3 file, you would not be able to skip between tracks.

I only wanted to know what everyone was listening too ! :crybaby:

Infinity

I usually listen to music from Tony O'Connor, Kitaro & Medwyn Goodall. But most of the time from Tony as he's got the most gorgeous music on this planet. More info can be obtained at www.tonyoconnor.com.au

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links