Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dvd Audio

Pick up the new SEL MM on Friday

I wondered what everyone is listening to on there MM and whats good in 5.1

DVD audio.

Recomendations please.

Jean Michel Jarre has always been a favourite

in the past and will probably first on in the newbie.

Cheers

Infinity....

Didin't realise they had DVD Audio lasers in them!

Not much material recorded in that format, check CD now/Amazon etc...

I heard some Michael Jackson stuff when i was at Alpines booth in Las vegas... Uncompressed audio sounds sooooo nice!

Didin't realise they had DVD Audio lasers in them!

Not much material recorded in that format, check CD now/Amazon etc...

I heard some Michael Jackson stuff when i was at Alpines booth in Las vegas... Uncompressed audio sounds sooooo nice!

DVD Audio is just the same as DVD Video format but obviously without the pictures

I have some uncompressed competion disks from my old days in sound off competition, Yello The Race is brilliant also Ride of the Valkyres (Apocalypse Now)

Try Jean Michell Jarre Aero its a double CD/DVD specifically recorded in 5.1 and is just awesome.

Others to try include Tubular Bells 5.1. The car should just turn off the video when moving.

But Aero is fantastic, go buy a copy if you like that kind of stuff

Infinity..............

Dark side of the moon on SACD ( just as good as DVD audio ) and plays fine in my MM...awesome

Other 5 slots are taken up with

Pulse DVD video disc 1 and 2

Sting - ten sommoners tales DVD audio

Tubular bells - DVD audio

home done compilation of mp3s ..sound remarkably good actually

The best so far has been video disc 2 of Pulse, played LOUD at 2am up the great orme on a starry black night with the moon roof open :D

Dark side of the moon on SACD ( just as good as DVD audio ) and plays fine in my MM...awesome

Other 5 slots are taken up with

Pulse DVD video disc 1 and 2

Sting - ten sommoners tales DVD audio

Tubular bells - DVD audio

home done compilation of mp3s ..sound remarkably good actually

The best so far has been video disc 2 of Pulse, played LOUD at 2am up the great orme on a starry black night with the moon roof open :D

So it plays SACD as well!! Shame Lexus don't advertise the fact.

Just watched the opening 5 chapters of War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise Version) the lighting strikes on the ground are stunning.

ML Audio is mind blowingly good. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Smiling like Tony Blair

Infinity................

Isn't SACD and DVD audio roughly the same thing?

And what is the actual difference between a CD and DVD audio besides the 5.1 encoding and extra capacity? I thought CD was uncompressed audio too? :duh:

And what is the actual difference between a CD and DVD audio besides the 5.1 encoding and extra capacity? I thought CD was uncompressed audio too? :duh:

Now im not sure if it does play SACD as i think that is a Sony/Philips driven format. I have one or two SACD's in my collection so i will try them in the morning.

SACD and DVD audio are similar but encoded differently not all DVD players will play SACD but all will play DVD audio. All of the SACD's i have are recordd in a format called Direct Stream Digital (DSD)

Both DVD and SACD are multi channel audio. I think DVD video is the VHS to Sonys SACD/DSD Betamax.

Its probably better sonically but nobody wants it.

All CD/DVD/MP3/WMA/CDA etc. audio formats are compressed to differing degrees to reduce the stream rate from the source and get more on a disk or whatever its stored on. uncompressed audio is exactly what is says it is uncompressed so takes up far more room on a disk than normal CDA and is sonically massively superior to CDA or MP3 you here all of the music and all the harmonics not just loud notes that blot out the high frequencies.

With uncompressed audio you may only get 3 or 4 3 minute songs on a standard 700mb disk.

Infinity...........

Just checked SACD in my Sony laptop and it wont play.

Now im not sure if it does play SACD as i think that is a Sony/Philips driven format. I have one or two SACD's in my collection so i will try them in the morning.

SACD and DVD audio are similar but encoded differently not all DVD players will play SACD but all will play DVD audio. All of the SACD's i have are recordd in a format called Direct Stream Digital (DSD)

Both DVD and SACD are multi channel audio. I think DVD video is the VHS to Sonys SACD/DSD Betamax.

All CD/DVD/MP3/WMA/CDA etc. audio formats are compressed to differing degrees to reduce the stream rate from the source and get more on a disk or whatever its stored on. uncompressed audio is exactly what is says it is uncompressed so takes up far more room on a disk than normal CDA and is sonically massively superior to CDA or MP3 you here all of the music and all the harmonics not just loud notes that blot out the high frequencies.

With uncompressed audio you may only get 3 or 4 3 minute songs on a standard 700mb disk.

Infinity...........

As far as I am aware SACD is not supported in all DVD players, however DVD-A is, providing the player is quite new, so The DVD player in the IS250 should play DVD-A. If anyone gets the chance, maybe they could test SACD and post the results.

Infinity...........

As far as I am aware SACD is not supported in all DVD players, however DVD-A is, providing the player is quite new, so The DVD player in the IS250 should play DVD-A. If anyone gets the chance, maybe they could test SACD and post the results.

As stated in my earlier post, my SACD of dark side of the moon plays fine in my MM system. It plays fine on my PJ based home cinema system too, but that is because my DVD player is compatible with both DVD audio and SACD ( Denon DVD 2200 )

I think you will find that the MM system is playing the CD layer of the SACD disc and NOT the full SACD mix. The Lexus MM system is compatible with DVD Audio but not with SACD.

You may well be right newbie....still sounds excellent though, with clearly defined channel seperation, and it does actually "play" as opposed to refusing to recognize the format as with other types of music code / format EG:

I dont believe anyone has yet found a way to get the ML system in these cars to recognize/ play a DVD of mp3 /wmas?

I think you will find that the MM system is playing the CD layer of the SACD disc and NOT the full SACD mix. The Lexus MM system is compatible with DVD Audio but not with SACD.

You may well be right newbie....still sounds excellent though, with clearly defined channel seperation, and it does actually "play" as opposed to refusing to recognize the format as with other types of music code / format EG:

I dont believe anyone has yet found a way to get the ML system in these cars to recognize/ play a DVD of mp3 /wmas?

Just checked my SACDs in the car and it just plays in stereo as there is no available multi channel option on the screen.

Still sounds good.

Infinity............

Does that mean once again Sony actually had the superior format, in that it could also be played in standard CD players? If only they weren't so stupid about copy protection..... ;)

This may sound a little silly, but I don't understand why it can play DVDs, and mp3s on CDs, but can't then recognise a DVD full of mp3s :duh:

Does that mean once again Sony actually had the superior format, in that it could also be played in standard CD players? If only they weren't so stupid about copy protection..... ;)

This may sound a little silly, but I don't understand why it can play DVDs, and mp3s on CDs, but can't then recognise a DVD full of mp3s :duh:

Mixed formats, like photos on a CD, some players see the photos some see junk same with

MP3 on DVD. The software just doesnt see the data as MP3 as its on a DVD.(Compression again)

Im sure there will be a way to confuse the software so it recognises the MP3's.

Will have a search on download.com see what i can find.

Ill report back later.

Infinity.........

Just checked my SACDs in the car and it just plays in stereo as there is no available multi channel option on the screen.

Still sounds good.

Infinity............

How do you mean...no available multi channel option on the screen ????

Still sounds good.

Infinity............

How do you mean...no available multi channel option on the screen ????

no the multi channel is there it just plays in stereo

Just tried a Sony SACD sampler disk and the car will not recognise the disk

50/50 multichannel and stereo tracks and the MM will not play it. maybe the disk you have is a newer multi layer

disk with multi channel and stereo.

Mine dont work.

In the audio screen irrespective of which type of disc is selected my choices are always identical.

I can select "sound" and get simple controls of bass/treble/mid...and fade L/R and F/Rear.

I can select "DSP" (presumably digital signal processing) and switch 2 items only

"auto speed levelling" on/off,

"surround" on /off.

When you say "multi channel option on screen" what exactly do you mean? Am I missing a menu or something?

Incidentally I thought all SACDs had 2 layers as it were....normal stereo, and uncompressed S/A - this is indeed why they should all be playable in any CD/DVD deck? My Dark Side disc is around 2 years old.

When i play DVD's there is a button on the screen to look at the various surround options. this isnt available when you play the SACD. All this said its the only one i can play all the others dont work at all.

Just done a bit of checkingon the SACD, the newer SACD's are hybrid which allows them to be played on all machines SACD or not obviously non SACD equipped players only see the stereo track

From Sony's SACD site

Will my current CD collection play on an SACD player?

Yes. Super Audio CD players can play back all current CDs.

Can I play a Super Audio CD on my current CD player?Only Hybrid SACDs - i.e., those containing a CD layer - can be played on CD compatible players.

What is SACD Multi-channel?

SACD multi-channel sound can contain as many as six separate channels, each captured on disc at the full DSD bit rate with the full DSD sound quality. Some producers will use the added channels to faithfully reproduce the precise acoustic signature of the performance space. Others will realize new creative possibilities, immersing the listener in a 360° field of sound. Multi-channel SACD takes its place beside stereo SACD as another compelling way to enjoy music.

When i play DVD's there is a button on the screen to look at the various surround options

Which are what exactly ??? I seem to have options for screen format and soundtrack type selection...but I assumed this was only relevant to DVD video. Are you saying that these audio track format selections are avauilable with DVD audio discs also?

When i play DVD's there is a button on the screen to look at the various surround options

Which are what exactly ??? I seem to have options for screen format and soundtrack type selection...but I assumed this was only relevant to DVD video. Are you saying that these audio track format selections are avauilable with DVD audio discs also?

Yes, because DVD and DVD audio are the same thing, just the sound without pictures.

Infinity...........

Just to clear up something as some of you have missed interpret the importance of the technology

DVD Audio and Audio DVD are two different thing. Audio DVD is same format as DVD movie and the quality is depended on the level of encoding compression used.

DVD Audio is similar to Audio CD. Audio CD is digitally uncompressed and the quality is depended on the number of bits that is used to create it. The maximum bits for a CD is 16 but some companies even claim 20 or 24bits format CD like Denon Master technology.

Some of you might have heard or even listened ot HDCD. HDCD sounds great comparing to normal CD but SA-CD (DSD technology) is even much better than HDCD quality as SA-CD can deliver 360 degrees surround sound.

High Definition Compatible Digital, HDCD-encoded CDs sound better because they are encoded with 20 bits of real musical information as compared with 16 bits for all other CDs. HDCD overcomes the limitation of the 16-bit CD format by using a sophisticated system to encode the additional 4 bits onto the CD while remaining completely compatible with the CD format. HDCD is a patented process that delivers on CD the full richness and detail of the original microphone feed. When listening to HDCD recordings, you hear more dynamic range, a focused 3-D soundstage, and extremely natural vocal and musical timbre. You get the body, depth, and emotion of the original performance-not a flat, digital imitation.

Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology reproduces the original sound without any distortion. The DSD technology behind Super Audio CD enables the recording and reproduction of sound in a way that makes it indistinguishable from the original, which can be a master tape from a live or studio recording, or a tape with precious archive material. The DSD signal is delivered in up to 6 separate channels (5.1 sound). Multichannel SA-CD sound can faithfully reproduce the original performance space. In practice this means that the geographical layout of an orchestra can be replicated in your home, bringing you closer to the live performance. An example of this can be heard on Linn CKD 180 Poulenc Organ Concerto", which exploits the rear channels to place the organ in its geographically correct position behind the listener. Multichannel SA-CD can also create a 360° sound environment which seems to envelop you in the music. SA-CD is a Hybrid that contains two seperate layers. One layer contains the normal CD information and the other contains the high density SA-CD information (a Multichannel of Stereo mix).

To conclude ...

All normal CD players can play HDCD but the last 4 bits of the high definition information will be lost. Only some SACDs are Hybrid CDs which can be played on all CD players. Some SA-CDs can only be played on compatible SA-CD players. So far none of the car stereo system can deliver the high definition information encoded on the HDCD or SACD. This feature is not implemented in the car system because only 95% of the music is heard when the engine is started or the car is moving. The high definition information would also be lost with the inferior OEM amplifier and speakers.