Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Performance Tyres!

puresilk

I have looked at many tyres and i want to know if they actually make a difference to handling and performance and how much is that difference!

I currently run 215/45/17 Uniroyal Rainsport 1 and currently I got 21K out of them with about 2.5 mm tread left on them!

I popped two recently so had to get 2 new tyres and Choose Original Goodyear Eagle F1 (Not F1GS3) and stuck then on the rear!

I have been very impressed with the Rainsport 1's in terms of how long them have lasted!

My question is is do these tyres actually make a difference in the wet/dry conditions and how much difference do they make say for example compared a Budget tyre!

I saw some cheap Fulrunner tyres 215/45/17 with some wicked V tread designs for £49.95 fitted (Bracknell Tyres) and it makes me think is it worth spending an extra £50 for brand names tyres.

I know Toyo T1, Good year F1 etc look the part and are decent tyres, but some of these budget tyres from europe and asia are comming out with really nice V treads at excellent prices and they all claim to be excellent tyres?

What yr opions?

Not sure of the exact brand on the V300, Maxima or something like that, Maxis maybe, and they're truly awful!

Bad to the level of dangerous for the first few minutes until they warm up, I can get them spinning in the dry up to 90mph, but saying that I'm putting a lot more power down than an IS nowadays! Saying that though the guys with the better tyres don't get wheelspin at all - that's a big difference!

I always used the Toyo Proxes - in your case you've put some good tyres for the rear (not as good as those you mention), so why not match them on the front, if you've got two tyres with mixed handling characteristics you're unbalancing the car, it's not so bad having different front to rear as two different tyres on each axle, but still not a good idea imho.

It may cost you an extra 100 quid but if you lose control of the car one day will you regret not spending that money then?

the Toyo's were highly rated on the IS and I may put a set of those on the Aristo soon, I've got a feeling that I've shredded these tyres I've got on already within 1000 miles!!!!

Yeh I will get some F1's for the front very soon and match the 4 tyres up!

I cant believe you were wheel spinning at 90 mph that is dangerous no matter what car u drive!

And warming the tyres up, i thought you only did that in Formula one! lol

but thanks for the advice well recieved!

:winky:

Yeh I will get some F1's for the front very soon and match the 4 tyres up!

I cant believe you were wheel spinning at 90 mph that is dangerous no matter what car u drive!

And warming the tyres up, i thought you only did that in Formula one! lol

but thanks for the advice well recieved!

:winky:

:lol: wasn't wheel spinning on purpose mate, was overtaking someone so the car kicked down and went from 50 - 90 then hit the brakes, that was a speedo reading so more like 80 in all honesty, still crazy though!

It's just insanely easy to break traction in this car, it makes some right noises at times when the wheels spin and I'm literally hardly touching the throttle!

As for warming the tyres up, the Toyo Proxes can be the same, but they don't take long to warm up, you can feel the difference!

Toyo Proxes are a fairly soft compund tyre......I have them on my Tubby, as do many other owners. They are excellent in the dry for handling and reasonable in the wet. Due to the softer compound, don't expect to get 10K out of the rears....

Yeh Toyos do look good!

But whats the best tyres for wet handling?

I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Never really driven in the wet with them.

So I was quite surprised to find out they were excellent, no problems at all with standing water.

Car felt so stable even in these conditions.

We were doing about 80mph in the pic.

On my old tyres, Michelin I think, I would of had to slow down.

DSC00285.JPG

Yeh Toyos do look good!

But whats the best tyres for wet handling?

I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Never really driven in the wet with them.

So I was quite surprised to find out they were excellent, no problems at all with standing water.

Car felt so stable even in these conditions.

We were doing about 80mph in the pic.

On my old tyres, Michelin I think, I would of had to slow down.

DSC00285.JPG

F1's it is then for my next tyre!

Hello.

I had Eagle F1 GSD2's all round, replaced the rears with GSD3's all good tyres (dont like snow) get alot of wear when its very hot, can eaven hear them sticking on the road surface, although thats probably the road surface peeling onto the tyres!

I am a fan of the Uniroyal rainsports, they are good in the snow, however not sure if thats a case on an IS

Aaron

yeh im running rainsports now!

currenlty on 24K now and still have lots of life in them i think ill get 30 K!

But I love the tread on the Eagle GSD2 althought the GSD3 look better ill match the front with the rears when the rainsports die on me!

yeh im running rainsports now!

currenlty on 24K now and still have lots of life in them i think ill get 30 K!

But I love the tread on the Eagle GSD2 althought the GSD3 look better ill match the front with the rears when the rainsports die on me!

I have been runningrainsport for 4 yrs on rear. just had some 245/40/18 rainstorm fitted to front to replace crappy pirelli pzero as so happy with rears. Not cheap...£230 all in for fronts. Quoted me £280 all in for 275/35/18 s on rear when I need them in about 2000 miles.

Good roadholding from rears so hoping front will handle better now. Price quoted is for pair by the way