Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Family Touring Holiday In The New Is

Well, as per title, this was the first proper family test of the car.

We toured the English Lakes (Cumbria - my haven) and went to Loch Lomond for a day. Total mileage = 1200 in 9 days. We stayed Self catering and so had the car loaded to the gunnels.

We'd done a similar journey in my Old '98 406 and my old '52 A4, so this was a good measure. It goes without saying that the New IS has a decidedly small boot. However, we managed to get it all in...

So, overall:

Space - slightly tight - especially the Boot and in the back for kids getting in and out. The doors are small, but the rear seats are very comfortable. They didn't complain once. Enough Leg room given both myself and the wife aren't terribly tall. So if we were six footers, and we had teenage kids, the car could have been impractical for such a journey, and anyone with 3 kids would need a trailer or roof box. However, for us it was cool overall.

Performance - my golly! Overall superb. The car has loosened up remarkebly. The car was at 3750 miles on the odo when we left the midlands. The engine has become noticeably smoother - 6th feels a lot better, though the mirror still vibrates...

Gearing - I was apprehensive about tackling those steep inclines with such tall gearing, roads such at the "Struggle" between Ambleside and Windermere were hairy, but actually the car performed magnificently. No issues at all. In fact the gearing was well suited to the roads, you could leave it in 3rd for most of the duration of the Kirkstone Pass etc, which gave good feel and the car felt totally alive.

Economy - what a shocker. I was expecting mid 30's given all of the hills and lower gearing. The car was hitting 38-43 throughout the "lake touring" part of the journey and all the steep gradients, which included as mentioned above, long stretches of 3rd and 4th gear driving. The biggest shocker was the journey home, with almost 5000 on the clock, I filled the car up at the BP station between Windermere and Kendal. We stopped at Stoke on Trent for some last minute Potteries shopping, got stuck in the traffic for ages...yet the car averaged 48.5mpg at "no slouch" speeds. In fact the average speed was indicated as 64mph for the last leg including the SOT traffic jams. This is the best I've had on a long journey, with the car close to fully loaded. Truly fab and the car appears to have improved significantly since 4000ish miles.

SatNAV and MLS - it worked well overall. However, twice it tried to re-route half way around a roundabout (anyone else ever find this????) confusing the 'eck out of me...I know Eunos800 has mentioned this, but the POI's are a sham. It needs much much more, especially for smaller eateries. I think the Restaurants POI's are from the Good Food guide, so there's nothing on it really!! many of the "Tourist Attractions" in the lakes were missing too. Overall though it was OK, but if Lex is watching, how about a much heavier detailed DVD disc for the UK mapping only? I'd buy one, even at a price!! The MLS was superb as always, and whilst waiting for the kids to finish sandwiches etc the DVD system was very useful! The parking camera is by far and away the best "useable" device on the car.

Ride & Handling - the car handled like a dream (and I now reckon almost to BMW 3 series standards). It was so much easier to thread the car through twist and turns, with serious accuracy even compared to my old A4. It's head and shoulders above the pre facelift Audi A4. It seems to ride better when loaded too - totally composed. The only blot is the road noise. On the A50 near Stoke, the howling on the concrete sections was quite bad, but overall the car was good.

Comfort - overall incredible. The seats, with ventilation etc was incredibly good over such a long cruise.

So as a family car, I have to say it's amazing.

Lex if you're watching, please can you make the G3 IS with a 475 litre boot, 10cm more leg room in the back, an Auto diesel, and a Nespresso Coffee maker in the glovebox? Ooooh, don't forget to stop the mirror vibrating...

PS - on reflection, I'm totally addicted to the car - I just love it. Even all of the issues which took the shine off have totally gone. This is an amazing car, and whilst it's not totally perfect, it's really close. The motoring journo's have got it all totally wrong.

As an example, on 3 occasions I got compliments in car parks in the Lakes and Scotland. Strangers came over to admire the car, which made me realise why I actually bought one in the first place. It's delivers a knockout blow to the other marques, and the journo's hate it as such!!

Great review Jamboo, we did a similar touring thing but to the Gower Peninsula in Wales. Car loaded to the roof, kids in the back and it performed superbly. I have nearly 7k on the clock now and the in gear performance is fantastic - I have a 250 manual today and whilst they feel like the have the same acceleration I can see by the speedo that I'm travelling slower than I would be in the 220. However, being able to sit at 50 in 6th, and the initial pull of the line, is a huge plus for the V6.

I also still have people asking about the car, looking in the windows, wanting a ride etc even now there are more on the road. People just seem to be attracted to it :D

Excellent write up, glad you had a fanstatic time and enjoyed the motor

Did the run to Cornwall 2 weeks ago, site-seeing etc.. clocked up 1000 in my Aristo, like you was amazed at the MPG I was getting.

Goes to show you, a long run clears the engine out.

Nice review matey. Glad you enjoyed the holiday - and also that the car is finally beginning to deliver your expectations.

I had a very poor and bland response to my letter to lexus GB regarding my experiences,

( 3 weeks and 1 day to even get a response from Gill Want ), and I am currently awaiting a response from Steve Settle himself. Gill's letter actually proves that my dealer ( wont name names here ) is actually lying to Lexus GB about my situation ) :blink:

Overall, I am now enjoying my car very much - but lexus customer care is poor. Obviously JD power "customers" dont seem to agree, but I can only speak as I find.

I remain disillusioned with them, and have stated so in 3 letters to date.

Sorry Jamboo, didnt mean to hi-jack your thrread with my unhappiness :crybaby: but as your my matey, I know you wont beat me up about it :winky:

Nice review matey. Glad you enjoyed the holiday - and also that the car is finally beginning to deliver your expectations.

I had a very poor and bland response to my letter to lexus GB regarding my experiences,

( 3 weeks and 1 day to even get a response from Gill Want ), and I am currently awaiting a response from Steve Settle himself. Gill's letter actually proves that my dealer ( wont name names here ) is actually lying to Lexus GB about my situation ) :blink:

Overall, I am now enjoying my car very much - but lexus customer care is poor. Obviously JD power "customers" dont seem to agree, but I can only speak as I find.

I remain disillusioned with them, and have stated so in 3 letters to date.

Sorry Jamboo, didnt mean to hi-jack your thrread with my unhappiness :crybaby: but as your my matey, I know you wont beat me up about it :winky:

No worries buddy...

:lol:

I too agree that the Customer Care part of it all is very average, and like you that's from personal experience. however, I am well known at my dealership, and they know exactly who it is everytime I tell them my name...all of them!! I actually don't know whether that's good or bad! Mind you I'll probably use them for Warranty only, and try other dealers in the midlands and Essex for wider dealer experience.

Back on topic - just been to the tip (yes in the Lex) and I have to say I let it's horses loose, and took it to 5000rpm for the first time. Boy it goes like stink now in 2nd, 3rd and 4th....!

It really has loosened up in the last 1200 miles. It's now easier to drive it in 4th at 30mph...1200rpm!! No turbo on, very little throttle response, but it cruises in a well relaxed manner in town like that...and the MPG histogram sits between 30 and more often 60!!

QUESTION to Diesel owners over 4000 miles:

Have you noticed a distinct difference < and > 4000 miles? It's almost as if something has changed in the car's mapping, leading to a more "direct" and looser experience? And I am sure that the ful consumption has improved dramatically, especially around town. Or is it me? :duh:

About the mpg, I can confirm this (posted it in another thread a couple of weeks ago): it's as if it gets a better mpg "suddenly" after about 4000 miles.

I went from 7.5 litres/100km to 6.5 litres/100 km without really drastically changing my driving style.

I also have to admit I am addicted to the car... we'll have to start a "A"LOC and have meetings about our addiction.

Hi, my name is Koen and I am addicted to Lexus. *applause*

Have you noticed a distinct difference < and > 4000 miles? It's almost as if something has changed in the car's mapping, leading to a more "direct" and looser experience? And I am sure that the ful consumption has improved dramatically, especially around town. Or is it me? :duh:

I can't remember the exact mileage but there was a definite step function in the performance. I really have to watch the speed now as due to the lack of engine and road noise, seemingly hugely increased power and the long gearing it gets very easy to forget you're flying down an A road at 90 until you come to a corner or behind a car in front :crying: It might be easier if it wasn't for the fact that as 3rd gear is good for anything from 30 to 90 odd mph, you just don't realise how fast you're travelling as you don't even have to change gear

Nice write up Jamboo!

I think I've said in previous posts that performance improved around the 4-5000 miles but not the economy. However, since the new injectors things are really improving; I've done about 900 miles with a tank average settling about 43mpg, and this is a major improvement on mid 30s.

Nice write up Jamboo!

I think I've said in previous posts that performance improved around the 4-5000 miles but not the economy. However, since the new injectors things are really improving; I've done about 900 miles with a tank average settling about 43mpg, and this is a major improvement on mid 30s.

Thanks guys - I've really warmed to the car even more. It gives me a warm feeling....It's a phenominal machine now; maybe I'm also more used to it, but I really don't miss the Audi anymore at all.

I washed, vac'd and dusted it yesterday, and it looks brand new again. All that Polishing and Long Life wax treatment/Sealant Glaze/Carnauba wax stuff really does make a difference. Still no dings in the car at all, but stone chips have started to appear now.

This morning, I took the local roundabout as normal, only to find that I actually made the back step out a tad in 2nd, totally unintentionally. Haven't done that for years (not since my E36 328i days). It was wet, so that may have been the reason, but the responsiveness has markedly improved.

There's also the other thread about a TTE chip - my golly this would be the finishing touch!!

I need to start saving the penny's - the plan is again to keep the car 6 years, with mods starting from end of year 3!!

Things I could do with are:

Rear Lip spoiler

Lowering kit (2.5cm would do it, but the speed humps around me are a royal pain, so may have to go for a 1.5cm)

TTE chip - but need to see if that's any good. Might mean a trip to germany nearer the time to try a demo car first...unless Prolex or some other mod company imports them over.

Maybe some wheels - but somehow I like the originals - keeps the car a wolf in Sheeps clothing.

I really have to watch the speed now as due to the lack of engine and road noise, seemingly hugely increased power and the long gearing it gets very easy to forget you're flying down an A road at 90 until you come to a corner or behind a car in front :crying: It might be easier if it wasn't for the fact that as 3rd gear is good for anything from 30 to 90 odd mph, you just don't realise how fast you're travelling as you don't even have to change gear

I'm sure I got "flashed" near festival Park in SoT the other day... saw the dashed lines....gulp.....looked at the speedo...saw 40 when I should have been at 30...hit the brakes.... :o

Thanks guys - I've really warmed to the car even more. It gives me a warm feeling....It's a phenominal machine now; maybe I'm also more used to it, but I really don't miss the Audi anymore at all.

I washed, vac'd and dusted it yesterday, and it looks brand new again. All that Polishing and Long Life wax treatment/Sealant Glaze/Carnauba wax stuff really does make a difference. Still no dings in the car at all, but stone chips have started to appear now.

This morning, I took the local roundabout as normal, only to find that I actually made the back step out a tad in 2nd, totally unintentionally. Haven't done that for years (not since my E36 328i days). It was wet, so that may have been the reason, but the responsiveness has markedly improved.

There's also the other thread about a TTE chip - my golly this would be the finishing touch!!

I need to start saving the penny's - the plan is again to keep the car 6 years, with mods starting from end of year 3!!

Things I could do with are:

Rear Lip spoiler

nice review I am also really warming to lexus and for the first time feel I would need something really special to tempt me to move away.

alan

Lowering kit (2.5cm would do it, but the speed humps around me are a royal pain, so may have to go for a 1.5cm)

TTE chip - but need to see if that's any good. Might mean a trip to germany nearer the time to try a demo car first...unless Prolex or some other mod company imports them over.

Maybe some wheels - but somehow I like the originals - keeps the car a wolf in Sheeps clothing.

I really have to watch the speed now as due to the lack of engine and road noise, seemingly hugely increased power and the long gearing it gets very easy to forget you're flying down an A road at 90 until you come to a corner or behind a car in front :crying: It might be easier if it wasn't for the fact that as 3rd gear is good for anything from 30 to 90 odd mph, you just don't realise how fast you're travelling as you don't even have to change gear

I'm sure I got "flashed" near festival Park in SoT the other day... saw the dashed lines....gulp.....looked at the speedo...saw 40 when I should have been at 30...hit the brakes.... :o

Well, as per title, this was the first proper family test of the car.

We toured the English Lakes (Cumbria - my haven)

we were touring the lakes last week26.8.06-2.9.06. :)

for the first time and it was fun,walked and drove for

miles.

car went well,loved those roads and some great views :)

check out was it you :) ps dont think i got your mpg though :lol::lol:

Hi Jamboo.

Great report. I could be over in UK (mainly Scotland) next April, so may have to get some tips on what to see up north.

Back to the car, yes, the red (whatever colour it is termed as) would be outstanding in a crowd. We don't have that option down under.

Speaking to the lead mechanic last week, they tell me that the computers in the car adjust the cars performance based on the driving it's been doing. Hence, the long drive at high speeds adjusts the performance to this and now you have noticed improved performance back at you local driving. I had the same experience after my long (3000k) holiday drive.

If you go back to suburban type driving, over a period it will adjust back. Don't know the reason why they do this, just what I was told.

As for the maps, they tell me they come from a local (country) provided service. Here in Oz, they use Whereis. So, you may want to find out what mapping service they are using on get onto them about the lack of POIs, etc.

Also, I agree with you about the boot size. Even extending part of the boot lid opening down lower (to level with the boot floor) would be a hugh assistance.