Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice On Refurb/replace Alloy Wheels On A Gs Mk2

Laurence

Hi Folks,

a bit of advice please?

The wheels on my GS300 (SE, Mk2) are badly corroded and I'm considering either a refurb or new wheels.

Q1. There's a Toyota dealer on eBay flogging off new (presumably old stock) 18" Lexus GS300 Mk2 Sport 18" wheels, complete with the matching P0's. Can I just stick these straight on my SE? What about ride and noise? I remember back in '95 (when I bought my first Lexus) test driving the Mk1 Sport and thinking that the tyre noise was excessive and the ride was harsh (I ended up buying the "standard" GS) so don't want to ruin the smooth, quiet ride on my SE.

Q2. Does anyone have a personal recommendation for a alloy refurb company in Gloucestershire? I know that Pristine in MK have a zillion resellers around the country and are good but they are really expensive and I don't really want to mess around with the whole exchange process. There's also lap-tab in Brum who are meant to be good, but it means 2x quite long round trips and having the car off the road for a few days.

Thanks!

the 18 inch wheels will fit, but the profile is 45 series, and ride quality will definitely be worse than with your current setup. the pirelli p zeros are very noisy, so I'd avoid going down that route. Personally, after I changed from P zeros to Goodyear eagle f1s the tyre noise went down considerably.

there is a very good place that was discussed on this forum that can refurb the wheels. It's located somewhere on the outskirts of bristol, and i was going to get my sport wheels refurbed there. i think it was around 40 quid a wheel for same day service. have a search for on the forum, unless anyone else remembers the name and number!

There is a very good place that was discussed on this forum that can refurb the wheels. It's located somewhere on the outskirts of Bristol, and i was going to get my sport wheels refurbed there. i think it was around 40 quid a wheel for same day service. have a search for on the forum, unless anyone else remembers the name and number!
D.M.D.?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...=0&p=359703

There is a very good place that was discussed on this forum that can refurb the wheels. It's located somewhere on the outskirts of Bristol, and i was going to get my sport wheels refurbed there. i think it was around 40 quid a wheel for same day service. have a search for on the forum, unless anyone else remembers the name and number!
D.M.D.?

I don't think DMD are trading any more, the web site is "offline": http://www.dmdwheelrefurb.co.uk/ and the number is out of service.

I spoke to Superlite Wheels, they are a little more expensive at £47 per wheel on a 5-7 day service but seem helpful & knowledgable (they are wheel manufacturers primarily). Anyway, am trusting them with the wheels off of the Supra next week (they need doing too!) and if all goes well will have the Lexus wheels done the week after. I'll report back if anyone is interested??

Thanks for all the comments & I think I'll stick with the standard 17".

BTW - the bloke at Superlite had a comment that's worth considering if you're refurbing. He mentioned that lots of companies are doing "powder coating" on wheel refurbs, this apparently needs to be baked at 280 degrees C. Apparently this alters the original "heat treatment" that the wheels would have had in the factory, leaving them brittle. Superlite use a different process (something enameling?) and then a resin(?) laquer. Might be a question worth looking into if/when you get your wheels refurbed.

D.M.D.?

I don't think DMD are trading any more, the web site is "offline": http://www.dmdwheelrefurb.co.uk/ and the number is out of service.

I spoke to Superlite Wheels, they are a little more expensive at £47 per wheel on a 5-7 day service but seem helpful & knowledgable (they are wheel manufacturers primarily). Anyway, am trusting them with the wheels off of the Supra next week (they need doing too!) and if all goes well will have the Lexus wheels done the week after. I'll report back if anyone is interested??

BTW - the bloke at Superlite had a comment that's worth considering if you're refurbing. He mentioned that lots of companies are doing "powder coating" on wheel refurbs, this apparently needs to be baked at 280 degrees C. Apparently this alters the original "heat treatment" that the wheels would have had in the factory, leaving them brittle. Superlite use a different process (something enameling?) and then a resin(?) laquer. Might be a question worth looking into if/when you get your wheels refurbed.

I have just had a set of standard GS MKII wheels refurbed.

Peterborough based company that collects and delivers.

I have a spare set of 5 wheels with tyres that are for sale (4 centre caps).

I bought these to drive round on while i had my set done. If you're interested drop me note.

A set with tyres does fit in a GS so could meet.

D.M.D.?

I have just had a set of standard 16" wheels refurbed.

Peterborough based company that collects and delivers.

I have a spare set of 5 wheels with tyres that are for sale (4 centre caps).

I bought these to drive round on while i had my set done. If you're interested drop me note.