Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trouble Starting - Is300

chalky12

Hi,

Has anyone else had trouble with their starter on an IS?

This evening I had driven around doing a few things, stopped for petrol and then parked the car to make a phone call. About 15 minutes later tried to start the car...

It made a clicking noise, I guess like a relay flicking but the car didn't make any attempt to turn over...

It this just a sticky starter?

I was on my way to a friends for dinner so I left the car in the car park for about 2 hours came back and it started first time...

Just a bit worried now that I can't trust the car to start if I'm out and about anywhere.

Any got any advice?

Cheers.

When I got the clicking noise it was just a flat battery, it sorted itself out on trickle charge after an hour and never had the problem again!

Yeah I did a few searches and it seems the clicking nnoise can come from a flat Battery.

The car is 5 years old and it looks like it's still on the original Battery, so it's probably due a change.

I tried to get a new Battery this morning but the one they gave me was the wrong size :duh:

I'll change it on monday and see how I get on.

Cheers.

Hi,

It would be worth checking the water level of the Battery,on some batteries there are lids that can be unscrewed to each of the cells.

Top up with distilled water if the water level is under the metal plates.There should be abit of plastic that comes from the top of the Battery when you look inside each cell.Top the water level up until its up to the plastic.

If the Battery level is ok then the problem could be a low charging alternator not keeping the Battery charged up enough.

The problem could also be a sticky starter motor or bad earth on the starter motor.

Chips.

I tested the voltages on the Battery..

Engine off 12.1

Engine on 13.8 or something like that so the voltages would indicate the alt is ok, right?

The water levels seem to be ok in the Battery but I think I'll change it early next week can't hurt.

It's hard to see the starter I think it sits on the right hand side of the engine near the front of the engine bay.

If it's sticking you just hit it a whack don't you? Until to finally decide to replace it!

How does the starter earth? There is an earth from the Battery to the car body and engine block and the starter is on a bracket or something on the engine block and that's how it earths? I think thats whats going on but it's hard to see with out stripping down a bit.

Cheers,

Richard.

Hi,

If its not broke dont fix it,sound like the Battery is ok id not be in to much of a hurry to buy another Battery for the moment.

The alternator seems to be charging ok.

Yep a quick fix to get the car going would be to give the started motor a nudge :D

There should be a wiring loom that goes down to the starter motor with a few wires coming off of it to the starter.

It would be worth checking that they are not corroded or loose,the problem could be as simple as that.

I dont know how easy the starter motor is to get to on your car but if you could get it off and grease all the teeth up that should fix the problem.With all the hot weather and all id say everythings dry and not moving as it should.

Chips.

It's interesting about the Battery size.

I just replaced my Battery.

My trade parts place also supplied the wrong size (way too big)

I tried Lexus and they also supplied too big a Battery (only slightly too large)

They kindly dropped round the correct sized one later on though.

Both places knew the year of my car etc. Are there several Battery sizes for IS300?

The one I ended up with seems identical to an IS200 one.

The place I got the batter from looked it up the bosch catalogue, they gave me the one listed for the IS300 a Bosch Asia Silver 9BA (dimensions 306 173 225).

The one listed for the IS200 is a 6DA (dimensions 232 173 225).

There is no way a 306mm Battery is going to fit in the tray provided, the existing Battery is about 230 mm.

So I'm going to try the one listed for the 200.

I also check with Halfords they list exactly the same Battery for the 200 & 300...

The place I got the batter from looked it up the bosch catalogue, they gave me the one listed for the IS300 a Bosch Asia Silver 9BA (dimensions 306 173 225).

The one listed for the IS200 is a 6DA (dimensions 232 173 225).

There is no way a 306mm battery is going to fit in the tray provided, the existing battery is about 230 mm.

So I'm going to try the one listed for the 200.

I also check with halfords they list exactly the same battery for the 200 & 300...

The correct Battery is the 6DA. Bosch have made an error in their catalogue!

• 2 months later...