Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All New Here. Looking To Get A 200

Robrs2

Hi All.

Thought it a good idea to find out about how these cars are before getting one.

A little back ground first. Current car is an MG ZS 120+. I got this car when it was 6 months old and loved it, that was until Rover went tits up and the car was worth sod all over night. So i have a Car that is 4 years old cost me £12,000 and is now worth part-ex £2500 at best.

I don't want to be hit like this again so in come the Lexus.

What i'm after is some info on the 200 mainly the sport version. The standard lsd does it for me :D

What are they like to run as an every day car?

Fuel consumption?

Insurance easy or hard to get the MG is a pain as they want a tracker.

Parts costs i.e. pads, filters, etc.

And the main one for me is what are they like to tow with, as i need to tow my trackcar about. I don't do long runs and the MG being only a 1.8 seems to cope ok.

Thanks

Rob

Shame about your previous history! The IS 200's are great cars! A fantastic second hand buy for the money! There is no car that could match it like for like on quality and features! Had mine 2 yearsin November, and altough ive modded mine a little, as standard they are great cars!

Labour at main dealers is not cheap, the parts arent that bad. Prolex-Uk who sponsor the site sell alot of stuff at very good prices :D , if not, get yourself signed up to gold and get good discount from many main dealers.

My 200 has been faultless. So much so, if Bought a car to repalce it, it would more than likely be another Lex. Good luck in the hunt. Petrol consumption depends on how you drive. Motorway driving there great, aroun town, there like any other big car......

Oh, welcome to LOC :D

I dont know any members who even have a towbar :unsure:

And TBH, i dont think that they are any worse than other main dealers in terms of Servicing.

My sister recently spent more on a service for her Skoda than it cost for mine.

Hi and Welcome to the LOC Robrs2 :)

Great cars the RS models from looking at the pictures on your post B)

I used to own a mk2 RS2000 years ago,i wish id never have sold it :D

Are you after a newish car for towing year wish or would you be happy with a older car?

The IS200 is a Great car,but i think you will find its about the same performance than your MG,maybe slower if you went for the Auto.MPG wise you will be far worse off with the IS200.

Myself id go for a IS300 ;) around the same mpg as the IS200 but with much better power and Torque.

The IS range should be good for towing as there RWD.

Hope thats of some help.

Is the mk2 the track car or the the Cossie.

Chips.

Chips,

A lot of people say that they wished they had never sold there mk2's so your not alone.

Me on the other hand, i didn't .Got the red one in 1989 the first car i bought.

Done several rebuilds on it ovr the years then gave it a power boost 2 years back and fitted a turbo on the pinto engine :D . Then last August i Won the white one at the RSCO national day raffle :hehe: So i now have 2 :blush: It cost me £10.

As for the Sierra its not a Cossie. Its an imported 1990 XR4i 3 door. As far as i know there are only a few in the uk. This is my track car.

It has been fitted with the V6 2.9 24 valve Cossie engine from the Scorpio. Full 6 point cage, coilovers, full adjustable suspension tops and tca's. Its a nice trackday toy.

As for the IS300 havn't looked at them yet but may give them the once over too. And no Autos for me like gears can be more fun.

Thanks

Rob

Hi,

Have you had the Turbo RS2 on the rollers,just interested in the power/torque outputs and how much quicker over a stock RS2 it is?

Maybe a Turbo would have been the answer on my old car,thats one of the reasons i ended up selling it was technology/time had caught up with it.The Cossie engine conversion was way to much money back then,thats what i looked into having done on it.

Chips.

It is a standard 2.0 EFi engine i fitted from a Granada. Bolted a T3 on it retarded the ignition by 4deg and set the boost at 8Psi.

The best run on the rollers it did 162 Bhp at the wheels the torque was a bit higher. Its quick, it keeps up with my m8s Focus RS.

It is a standard 2.0 EFi engine i fitted from a Granada. Bolted a T3 on it retarded the ignition by 4deg and set the boost at 8Psi.

The best run on the rollers it did 162 Bhp at the wheels the torque was a bit higher. Its quick, it keeps up with my m8s Focus RS.

Hi,

That RS2 sounds like a Nice bit of kit.

I will have to look out for you if you go down to the RS Day Next year at Castle Combe :winky:

Chips.

Need to know about towing though.

Rob

Hi and welcome

I tow a jet ski with mine and the bike (not at the same time) and it's ok I wouldn't tow anything heavier as the 200 does not have much low down torque But the car is ultra reliable if you go for a 300 they are auto so you will need to fit a trany cooler

Ade :)

hi and welcome, get one great cars, jus reitterating everything that everyone else says.

can be quite thirsty on fuel but depends on driving habits really. the other day i put in 16.5 litres in and got 109 miles from it. not sure what that converts to in MPG im guessing about 28-29 ish. that was doing a 26 mile round trip consisting mainly of free flowing trafic and an average speed on about 40mph id say