Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Get Wire From Cabin To Engine Bay?

Joolz

Hi guys, I am wanting to wire up a subwoofer tube in the boot, am I right in thinking that I need 1 cable to teh back of the stereo for power on signal (pmt or something?), 1 stereo cable to the sub out, as well as 1 power from the Battery +, and - to anywhere metallic on car in the boot. The other parts are not so difficult, but I am not sure how I can get the red +ve power cable into the engine bay from inside the cabin? I suspect there's somewhere under the glovebox I can do that? Or do I not need to draw power from the Battery directly and that there mgiht be somewhere inside the cabin that I can do that? Any hints please?

(Not using lexus standard headunit, previous owner put in a JVC MP3)

Thanks,

Julius

Direct to the Battery for the 12v + & down to the chasis for the neg. make sure you use reasonable cable for the power supply including the earth, in 12v DC you will loose half a volt per metre if you use crap cable killing the output from your sub. Something like 4AWG unless your running a huge amp. Pick up the power arial output from the radio or switched 12v as a power on for the amp or if you dont have one any ACC or Ignition live will do.I have an old table showing voltage drop over cable length against power draw in watts, giving recommendations on cable guage for power. I think its at work, i'll see if i can find it tomorrow and post it up.

or try this for a quick answer the load in amps is the size of the fuse in the amp for a best guess.

Infinity..........

Thanks for the help guys! fluff34567 I did look... on my A4 and GTO before, the path was under the glovebox on the lower vertical section of the floorboard... OK I probably wasn't bending down enough... with a beer belly it's not quite as easy to do so :o

Hi one question, can I draw power from the yellow (live direct from batter supposedly) on the back of headunit connector cluster? Is it safe doing that? Or I really should go direct to the battery? Thanks, Jules

If its to power the amp defininatly not you will blow the supply fuse straight away.

The power supply to be back of the head unit is not designed for additional loads.

As i posted earlier, direct to the Battery for power with a separate line fuse rated just below the amplifier fuse rating, if you put a bigger fuse in you risk burning the wiring out.

Follow the previous instructions only or you risk seriously damaging the vehicle wiring.

Infinity.............