Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Wheel Corrosion

kamlex

Hi all

After 10 months, the dreaded corrosion on the alloys has started!

From previous posts, i get the impression that Lexus change corroded alloys for refurbished alloys as opposed to new alloys.

Can anybody tell me if the refurbished alloys retain the polished adge and spoke detail, or are they completley laquered?

I note that all new IS 200's still have the polished edge detail.

When I was buying my Lexus I asked the salesman about the problem with the alloy wheels. He told me it had been sorted and now Lexus fit new wheels so the problem shoudn't happen again. I see that your car is 10 months old, so I'm not sure when the new wheels were fitted or what the re-furbished ones look like. Can you 'post' a picture of your wheels as I'd like compare them with mine to see what the difference is - so that I know if I still have the old style wheels.

I purchased the car new in March 2002, although i have read on another thread that the 'new' wheels came out in April 2002!

I will post a pic later today, but my wheels have a highly polished 'bare' metal edge which continues on the front of the spokes. the remainder of the wheel has a silver paint finish with lacquer over it.

When i visited the dealer yesterday, i noticed that some of the used models on display had their alloys completeley covered with the silver paint and laquer, and therefore no polished 'bare' metal edge. I assumed that these were the refurbished alloys. The new IS200's in the showroom had the 'bare' metal polished edges like mine.

The 'bare' metal polished ege looks far better than the all over coating!

Some members have stated that their replacement wheels are coated on 'both sides' so i have assumed this means no more 'bare' meatal polished edge????

They don't have the bare edge as you say - I had the old ones at first and they corroded badly. However, the edges - although laquered - still have a shiney finish in comparison to the rest of the wheel. I like them better.... and as yet (touch wood), no corrosion.... :)

It seems strange that Lexus are still selling new IS 200's with the 'bare' metal edge and spokes, if the fully laquered replacements are fully pained and therefore do not have the bare edges.

Can anyone tell me how to post a picture of my wheels?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links