Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Wheels And Tyres

P38Aaron

Hello.

I have got an IS200 Sport and want to get a set of 2nd wheels and put some winter tyres on them. I have just moved out into the country and we get forgotten about i the winter, so this year i want to be prepared.

Am after a 2nd set of wheels, alloys/steelies (probably steelies so they can cut through the snow as normally thinner) Does anybody know if there are steelies out there that will fit the IS200?

Any recomendations to winter tyres???

Thanks for taking a look and any info will be very helpfull.

Aaron

I've been using Toyo Snowprox the last two winters and they're pretty good.

Got caught in blizzard, and my mate in a 206 diesel (which you would think would be alright, heavy engine over narrow driving wheels) got stuck and had to push. We, on the other hand, had no problems - I was surprised & impressed, especially as they're 225/45/17 (on a spare set of standard alloys).

Last winter I bought 4 standard 16" wheels and fitted 205/55x16 Michelin Pilot Alpins. Also put a couple of concrete blocks in the back. All this thanks to help and advice from the LOC.

Made a massive difference for road work. Did get stuck on a mates's country drive once, but that was because as I was reversing down the long drive, I got out of the tracks in the snow, and ended up with my left wheels down in the snowy/muddy ditch :blush:

This is an expensive option, but the right thing to do for me. Car's much more sure-footed when it's cold and frosty too, due to the snow tyres working better at low temperatures. So this year, they'll go on before Xmas and stay on till late April (or thereabouts).

IanB :D

Hi all.

Got my second set of wheels today, so now i am deciding on the tyre have been taking a look on a site and found 2 types, recomendations are the michelin pilot alpine but i have also found for slightly cheaper and suggested better snow performance vredestein wintrac.

Anybody had any experience with the Vredesteins?

http://www2.sicherbestellen.de/tests/10/Vr...fentestcom.html

http://www2.sicherbestellen.de/tests/10/Mi...fentestcom.html

http://www2.sicherbestellen.de/tests/10/Du...fentestcom.html

Thought i should chuckthe dunlops in too

Thanks

Aaron

Well I do a lot of miles on winter tyres (travelling through Germany/Austria/Swiss during the winter time)

I and with me a lot of people like the Vredesteins (good value for money).

Best choice is 16" but I use 18" Vredestein Wintracs on my Is but not everyone will like that.....

Had some other positive experiences with Conti, Good year and Dunlop.

Michelins are way overpriced and not as good as the previous.

I hated Toyo's and cheaper brands which wherent worth the money.

By the way these are all mud and wet conditions tyres that perform good at low temperatures. Real "winter tyres" as in snow tyres come from other brands (Kumho, vredestein Snowtrac is sowhere in between) and are only of use in Scandinavia etc.

Thanks for you views Shark, very helpfull, I will be using 17" wheels and with the feedback that the tyre test website has given the vredesteins seem the best and at a good price!

Have found another tyre which got quite a good report...Don't know how good this site realy is and how they test...It is very good and helpfull that people are giving there thoughts, is much appreciated and im sure that others will also benefit from this.

http://www2.sicherbestellen.de/tests/10/No...fentestcom.html

Cheers

Aaron

Friend of mine has them under his subary. Nokians are from finland and more a snowtyre, they are good and can be compared to Kumho etc. Compound is a bit soft, see how good they are in snow (where wintrac will fail to perform). Apart from the higher noise (very rough surface pattern) they are a good choice (but wouldn't be mine on a Lexus).

Onother good choice would be Goodyear which was an overall winner last year.

i live in switzerland ( for those that didnt know) and in the winter spend about 3 or days a week in the mountains. I used to have the toyos, they were crap so dont even bother with those.

i have also had michelin pilot alpins (old style) and dunlop wintersport, I found the alpins to be better overall, less noise and better grip in difficult conditions. This is obviously a rough comparison as the conditions were not exactly the same but were close. The michelins also come top in a lot of tests.

I have had no probems going up steep mountain passes that were covered in compacted snow and ice and easily drove thru approx 15-20cm of fresh snow for about 20km in the middle of a storm so not great conditions by any means. It also depends on how you drive - dont expect to drive the same way as in the summer, take it easy on the corners and in general you will be fine.

when my tyres wear out prob next year i will be replacing them again with the aplins. I am using them on the original 17" wheels BTW although normally I would suggest that you use a 16" but i dont think that this will be so important in the UK.

also look here: http://www.reifentest.com/pkw_winterreifen/index.html

a pic of the normal conditions in winter:PICCY

i live in switzerland ( for those that didnt know) and in the winter spend about 3 or days a week in the mountains. I used to have the toyos, they were crap so dont even bother with those.

i have also had michelin pilot alpins (old style) and dunlop wintersport, I found the alpins to be better overall, less noise and better grip in difficult conditions. This is obviously a rough comparison as the conditions were not exactly the same but were close. The michelins also come top in a lot of tests.

I have had no probems going up steep mountain passes that were covered in compacted snow and ice and easily drove thru approx 15-20cm of fresh snow for about 20km in the middle of a storm so not great conditions by any means. It also depends on how you drive - dont expect to drive the same way as in the summer, take it easy on the corners and in general you will be fine.

when my tyres wear out prob next year i will be replacing them again with the aplins. I am using them on the original 17" wheels BTW although normally I would suggest that you use a 16" but i dont think that this will be so important in the UK.

also look here: http://www.reifentest.com/pkw_winterreifen/index.html

a pic of the normal conditions in winter:PICCY

out of interest, why 16" rather than 17".......is it to do with more wheel revolutions with a smaller wheel? :yawn:

No it is because smaller wheels are thinner so the tyre cuts down thru the snow rather than a wide tyre which will just ride on top

oh ok, thanks for clearing that up mate :D

Yep basically the opposite of why on a dry road you want wide low profile tyres.....learnt that the hard way trying to get up a mountain in Switzerland in an M5 with normal wheels and tyres on :o

No it is because smaller wheels are thinner so the tyre cuts down thru the snow rather than a wide tyre which will just ride on top

oh ok, thanks for clearing that up mate :D

Yep basically the opposite of why on a dry road you want wide low profile tyres.....learnt that the hard way trying to get up a mountain in Switzerland in an M5 with normal wheels and tyres on :o

yea i getthe width factor.....straightforward really.....but why does the lower profile help??