Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Determining Idle Time Before Shutting Engine Off?

aido

OK ever since I bought the Aristo V300 I've gotten into the habit of letting it idle for a minute or two (depending on how hard the car has been run) before turning the engine off.

Just wondered if this is actually necessary on these cars?

What do you guys all do?

I've had a look around the net and see some posts saying no it's not worthwhile on cars nowadays, some saying yes it's worthwhile on cars with BPU like I have, albeit slight increase, and others saying you're better off driving the last mile off boost and let it cool down that way, then just turn the engine off once you've pulled up..

I guess the cars already done 60k so I have no idea how the previous owners all viewed this subject, but I just want to make sure that going forward I'm doing everything correctly..

Any ideas or advice please folks? One thing that confuses me even further is that the car has the turbo's as standard, so does that mean that they'd have put extra cooling in so that it could be treat like an NA car, ie turn it straight off, or does the Jap instruction book say to leave it running? Unfortunately only have a GS300 manual with mine so no idea what the original guide said?

Thanks in advance :)

i would let it idle for a few minutes, before switching off, better safe than soorry.

alternately, speak to someone with a supra tt, or steve at charleworth, im sure he would be able to advise you.

Aido it is vital that you let the car warm up properly, you should keep below 3000rpm and not go full throttle until at least 5 mins after coolant is up to temp(i.e temp gauge is normal).After driving you should idle for 1 minute approx. If you do not do this you will end up with problems like me and need a rebuild.Main reason cited for my probs is car being thraped before oil up to temp.If you do not let her idle after driving the turbos stay red hot and oil burns on them causing carbonisation, this is mightily important do not let anyone tell you otherwise, they are liars if so

cheers

Matt

Thanks for that Matt :)

I've got to admit I do wait until the temp guage is at the correct location before going above the 3k mark, to be honest though I've been watching my driving the last few days and I hardly even go above the 2.5k mark some days in a 40 minutes journey!

Luckily in the places where I mainly go there is nowhere to get above those rpm's in this car in the first few minutes anyway!

Thanks for the comments, just wanted to make sure I was doing things correctly, and it sounds like I am (for once) :)

Consider fitting a turbo timer - I've done that on mine. It works out the time to leave the engine running before switching it off, depending on how hard you have been driving it. It reomves the guesswork of "should I leave it on for two minutes or 30 seconds". Don't forget that in the UK you must remain in your car until the engine switches off.

I'd also recommend warming any and all car engines before thrashing it!!

The mark 2 VVTi engine I'm told is less prone to such damage, but all turbos tend to need some care to prolong life.

Consider fitting a turbo timer - I've done that on mine. It works out the time to leave the engine running before switching it off, depending on how hard you have been driving it. It reomves the guesswork of "should I leave it on for two minutes or 30 seconds". Don't forget that in the UK you must remain in your car until the engine switches off.

I'd also recommend warming any and all car engines before thrashing it!!

The mark 2 VVTi engine I'm told is less prone to such damage, but all turbos tend to need some care to prolong life.

Original toyota manual for the supra states 1 minute cooldown needed after hard driving, have a look at this for results of bad care

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.ph...t=carbonisation

cheers

Matt

Thanks for the comments guys, sounds like I'm doing about right then, if I've not been on boost I'll give it 30 seconds, If I have in the past couple of miles I'll give it a minute, and if I've had it above 5k rpm in the few minutes before stopping I'll wait a couple :)

Winner!

As for the carbonisation, I've just been having a read into that Matt.

Not usre if this applies to our cars as well, I've just been reading something saying that a 20 mile journey keeping the car at around 70mph will heat up all the carbon deposits and they'll just make their way out of the exhaust system, also some people reckon Optimax is good for cleaning various parts of the car, so maybe worth running a tankful of that through every 10th tankful - I'm not sure if the Tesco 99 stuff has the cleaning stuff in there, might even chuck in a bottle of the fuel system cleaners that you can get from the garage and run some of that through to make doubly sure!

Luckily I don't really do short journeys, they're all 20 miles or more which I guess is always good for the engine?

Thanks again guys :)

I would only use optimax, ultimate or the new shell v power or tesco 99, as the engines run much better on higher octane, you can get rough running with 95 ron.Engine in the supra is ecactly the same just position of sump and powersteering pump is different

cheers

Matt

I've only used Optimax or primarily Tesco 99 RON since I got the car, in fact just put in my first tankful of V-Power this afternoon to test that, to be honest so far the car sounds rougher than with the Tesco stuff, will try a couple of tankfuls and see if that's the case or whether I'm just imagining it!

Hi aido,

As with the above posts,ive not bothered with any Turbo timers id rather put the money towards some sort of performance mod.

I youve said,take it steady for a mile or so before you get home,i let my car tick over for a good minute before i switch the engine off to give the Turbos chance to cool down,somethings longer if the car has been driven hard.

Also dont rev the engine up then switch off with revs on,im not sure with the Aristo but with some Turbo cars as soon as you switch off the oil pump/pressure stops so theres no oil pressure to cool the Turbos.

Its also worth doing the oil/filter changes by the book because of all the extra heat thats put through the oil because its Turbo Charged.

Chips.