Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have only owned the SEL for a week or so but have already had to jump start it a couple of times - embarrasing being jump started by an old Audi! Maybe I am playing with the toys a bit too much but after opening and closing the power rear door 2 or 3 times and trying to suss out the Sat Nav for a while I dont think I am putting too much drainage on the Battery. What experience have you had out there? Is this common or do I have a problem with the Battery or alternator not charging the Battery.

I have only owned the SEL for a week or so but have already had to jump start it a couple of times - embarrasing being jump started by an old Audi! Maybe I am playing with the toys a bit too much but after opening and closing the power rear door 2 or 3 times and trying to suss out the Sat Nav for a while I dont think I am putting too much drainage on the battery. What experience have you had out there? Is this common or do I have a problem with the battery or alternator not charging the battery.

It happened to my 400h 3 or 4 times. Once when it was 10 days old after I left the key in Aux position so satnav was on for several hours. I repeated the trick twice later over a 3 month period.

But it happened again on a Sunday afternoon after playing with Satnav secret codes for 2 hours.

I am wondering how long does the Battery hold up if you watch a DVD in an RX 350 or in the new 400H?

There should be warning tone to remind you the key is left in! Our Citroen C3 has one!!

I believe it is fitted but not enabled on the European models but is enabled on the USA version.

I have only owned the SEL for a week or so but have already had to jump start it a couple of times - embarrasing being jump started by an old Audi! Maybe I am playing with the toys a bit too much but after opening and closing the power rear door 2 or 3 times and trying to suss out the Sat Nav for a while I dont think I am putting too much drainage on the battery. What experience have you had out there? Is this common or do I have a problem with the battery or alternator not charging the battery.

I have had exactly the same problem with my 52 RX300SE..... In a nutshell, the Battery is far to small in ampere hour capacity for the hotel loads put across it from standing . (not to be confused with starting currents). The solution is of course a bigger capacity (Ah) Battery .The present OE fit (on my car is a Lucas 45ah) is far smaller than the batteries fitted to Merc and BMW.. The real problem however is that if you obtained a bigger Battery there is a difficulty fitting it due to the size of the tray. I am investigating this in detail and I will post a thread if I come up with something . I have a 3 litre BMW SE with fairly high quiescent drain and never had a starting problem even when it had been standing for 3 weeks....

Roy (ex Chloride)

I have had exactly the same problem with my 52 RX300SE..... In a nutshell, the Battery is far to small in ampere hour capacity for the hotel loads put across it from standing . (not to be confused with starting currents). The solution is of course a bigger capacity (Ah) Battery .The present OE fit (on my car is a Lucas 45ah) is far smaller than the batteries fitted to Merc and BMW.. The real problem however is that if you obtained a bigger Battery there is a difficulty fitting it due to the size of the tray. I am investigating this in detail and I will post a thread if I come up with something . I have a 3 litre BMW SE with fairly high quiescent drain and never had a starting problem even when it had been standing for 3 weeks....

Roy (ex Chloride)

As you know on the RX400h the Battery is only used for powering auxillaiary circuits and lights etc and not for cranking the engine to start it. So should (or is) the Battery be of the caravan leisure type which can stand low current drain for a much longer time but does not high instantaneous short term current supply?

If it is a normal Battery, I think they put the wrong type in the 400H....

Roy (ex Chloride)

As you know on the RX400h the Battery is only used for powering auxillaiary circuits and lights etc and not for cranking the engine to start it. So should (or is) the Battery be of the caravan leisure type which can stand low current drain for a much longer time but does not high instantaneous short term current supply?

Billy,

You've got me scratching my head on this one..... As I understand it however, on the RX400 the special 'drive' bateries' which drive the electric motors are nothing to do with the starting of the petrol engine. Nor have they anything to do with all the 'toys' fitted to the car... They just drive the car in the same way as special deep cycling batteries drive a 'Milk Float' or Fork Lift Truck....( much higher quality of course)

On the other side of the specification , your engine starter Battery does just the same function as mine does on my meagre 2002 RX300... it starts the engine, handles all the 'toys' and , in my opinion is far to small to carry all the 'hotel loads'... I won't go into technical jargon here as I am trying hard to get info on the RX400 drive Battery set and it is just like getting Tony Blair to tell us of the important day...

In my day , Rolls Royce had problems worse than Lexus could ever dream about. Believe me.. A customer would pay between 1 and 1.5 grand for a service.. Take a car home to his 'Mews' Flat. Leave it there until Ascot week or the Henley Regata.. Get his picnic hamper out , get in his car and THEN .. call a taxi

the Battery was dead flat... RR solved this problem by fitting 2 batteries one for starting and one for 'Hotel use'. No matter how much the Hotel Battery was drained by 'standing in the garage' with a high quiescant drain... the other Battery was not involved... As soon as the key was turned the car started and the alternator charged up both batteries.. Problem solved...

I understand some top end German cars are now fitting 2 batteries to solve this problem.. One for starting and one to sop up all the Q drains from the 'toys'

Hope I've not gone on to much and bored you... I would dearly love an RX400 .. I am retired and it is hard to save up your pennies for such luxuries.. I have stopped the wife having 3 meals a day, buying shoes, clothes and make up and who knows... some day I may get there.

Would welcome any info you have on the RX400 drive batteries..

Roy

Roy (ex Chloride)

Billy,

You've got me scratching my head on this one..... As I understand it however, on the RX400 the special 'drive' bateries' which drive the electric motors are nothing to do with the starting of the petrol engine. Nor have they anything to do with all the 'toys' fitted to the car... They just drive the car in the same way as special deep cycling batteries drive a 'Milk Float' or Fork Lift Truck....( much higher quality of course)

On the other side of the specification , your engine starter Battery does just the same function as mine does on my meagre 2002 RX300... it starts the engine, handles all the 'toys' and , in my opinion is far to small to carry all the 'hotel loads'... I won't go into technical jargon here as I am trying hard to get info on the RX400 drive Battery set and it is just like getting Tony Blair to tell us of the important day...

In my day , Rolls Royce had problems worse than Lexus could ever dream about. Believe me.. A customer would pay between 1 and 1.5 grand for a service.. Take a car home to his 'Mews' Flat. Leave it there until Ascot week or the Henley Regata.. Get his picnic hamper out , get in his car and THEN .. call a taxi

the Battery was dead flat... RR solved this problem by fitting 2 batteries one for starting and one for 'Hotel use'. No matter how much the Hotel Battery was drained by 'standing in the garage' with a high quiescant drain... the other Battery was not involved... As soon as the key was turned the car started and the alternator charged up both batteries.. Problem solved...

I understand some top end German cars are now fitting 2 batteries to solve this problem.. One for starting and one to sop up all the Q drains from the 'toys'

Hope I've not gone on to much and bored you... I would dearly love an RX400 .. I am retired and it is hard to save up your pennies for such luxuries.. I have stopped the wife having 3 meals a day, buying shoes, clothes and make up and who knows... some day I may get there.

Roy

Hii Roy,

Sorry for delay in replying. I didn't get a notification of your message.

Thanks for the update on the 2 Battery systems.

As I understand it, there is no conventional starter motor (or alternator) on the 400h!!!

It is started by the main drive motor/generator which is driven by the big 280 volt drive Battery.

So I don't think there is much amperage required from the 12 volt Battery to start it as long as there is enough voltage for the control systems...

Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Billy

Roy (ex Chloride)

Billy,

Roy

Hii Roy,

As I understand it, there is no conventional starter motor (or alternator) on the 400h!!!

It is started by the main drive motor/generator which is driven by the big 280 volt drive Battery.

So I don't think there is much amperage required from the 12 volt Battery to start it as long as there is enough voltage for the control systems...

Billy

Hi Billy, I think we have opened a 'hornets nest' here.... Whilst I was involved for around 30 years with Chloride supplying automotive batteries to the European Vehicle manufacturers, there was nothing around like the RX400. I've been retired now for a good number of years... Now, I just have to find out more info on the RX400 system... If anyone else out there can throw any technical info on this subject, I am sure this will be very much appreciated.. If you think for a moment, all the bulbs (and/or LCD's) must be 12 volt...,

the engine starter Battery must be 12 volts, the radio/CD/tape player/ alarm system etc etc all must be 12v..

These must come off the enginestarting Battery.. I cannot see a 'taping' of the 280volt Battery being made to start the engine (could be wrong here)

I will start digging info on this and post accordingly..

In the meantime anyone having a problem with the standard RX300 cars, keep your eye on the light on the sun visors... This can still be left on when the ignition key is withdrawn from the dash... ifthe panel is not closed completely.. I think this is what dropped me in it....

regards Roy

Hii Roy,

Billy

Hi Billy, I think we have opened a 'hornets nest' here.... Whilst I was involved for around 30 years with Chloride supplying automotive batteries to the European Vehicle manufacturers, there was nothing around like the RX400. I've been retired now for a good number of years... Now, I just have to find out more info on the RX400 system... If anyone else out there can throw any technical info on this subject, I am sure this will be very much appreciated.. If you think for a moment, all the bulbs (and/or LCD's) must be 12 volt...,

the engine starter Battery must be 12 volts, the radio/CD/tape player/ alarm system etc etc all must be 12v..

These must come off the enginestarting Battery.. I cannot see a 'taping' of the 280volt Battery being made to start the engine (could be wrong here)

In the meantime anyone having a problem with the standard RX300 cars, keep your eye on the light on the sun visors... This can still be left on when the ignition key is withdrawn from the dash... ifthe panel is not closed completely.. I think this is what dropped me in it....

regards Roy

Hi Roy.

Thanks for the tip on visor lights. That would never haver ocurred to me.

Well I wait to be stand corrected on the starting system :)

I agree that all those items are 12 volt driven by the 12 volt Battery.

I may be wrong, but as I understand it the 12 volt Battery is charged by the 288 volt Battery, via special circuitry. So when you "start" the car nothing happens apart form the supply of power to charge the 12v Battery until you are moving at a speed that needs a boost from the engine which is started by the generator working in reverse as a motor and starting the engine.

So then the generator recharges the 288 volt Battery.

When you are stopped in traffic, the engine stops, but the 288 v Battery continues to recharge the 12v ("auxiliary" Battery.

Can some one please confirm or correct this?!!

Cheers

Billy

Hii Roy,

Thanks for the update on the 2 battery systems.

It is started by the main drive motor/generator which is driven by the big 280 volt drive battery.

So I don't think there is much amperage required from the 12 volt battery to start it as long as there is enough voltage for the control systems...

Billy

regards Roy

Hi Roy.

Thanks for the tip on visor lights. That would never haver ocurred to me.

Well I wait to be stand corrected on the starting system :)

I agree that all those items are 12 volt driven by the 12 volt Battery.

I may be wrong, but as I understand it the 12 volt Battery is charged by the 288 volt Battery, via special circuitry. So when you "start" the car nothing happens apart form the supply of power to charge the 12v Battery until you are moving at a speed that needs a boost from the engine which is started by the generator working in reverse as a motor and starting the engine.

So then the generator recharges the 288 volt Battery.

When you are stopped in traffic, the engine stops, but the 288 v Battery continues to recharge the 12v ("auxiliary" Battery.

Can some one please confirm or correct this?!!

Cheers

Billy

billy i think you description is correct. but we should keep in mind that in modern cars many computer systems are in the "stand by " mode when the ignition is turend off. if not it would take verry long to get the system up and running.

if you do a cold start with the navigation system of the RX400h it takes about 2 minutes to get ready. it is booting from DVD drive and runs through some screens where input is needed and then it comes to the point where it is normaly when you turn the ignition on.

also the security system is working and so are many others. this all consumes current.

so i think we pay with Battery draining for the immediate "ready" after tunrnig the ignition key.

williz

billy i think you description is correct. but we should keep in mind that in modern cars many computer systems are in the "stand by " mode when the ignition is turend off. if not it would take verry long to get the system up and running.

if you do a cold start with the navigation system of the RX400h it takes about 2 minutes to get ready. it is booting from DVD drive and runs through some screens where input is needed and then it comes to the point where it is normaly when you turn the ignition on.

also the security system is working and so are many others. this all consumes current.

so i think we pay with Battery draining for the immediate "ready" after tunrnig the ignition key.

williz

*** point Willi. Thank you.

So this confirms my thoughts that the 400h needs a slow drainage "leisure" type Battery, don't you think?

So this confirms my thoughts that the 400h needs a slow drainage "leisure" type battery, don't you think?

Or you might want to look at one of these,i know its not a permanent solution to your problem but it could save you loads of hassle until you get to the bottom of the drainage of current on your RX.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=...02&doy=10m9

So this confirms my thoughts that the 400h needs a slow drainage "leisure" type battery, don't you think?

Or you might want to look at one of these,i know its not a permanent solution to your problem but it could save you loads of hassle until you get to the bottom of the drainage of current on your RX.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=...02&doy=10m9

Winnie,

Have you got one of these solar panels ? I see the sense in these if you are storing the car outside over a period of time and can in some way keep the rain out... But again it is a nothing for nothing world and to use it via the cigar lighter socket (or other 12v sockets on the Lexus) you could not remove the key. The ignition would have be be in the 'radio' position turn on mode... This would bother me .

I have thought about them for our caravan but not for the car....

That Bl---y vanity light on the sun visor got me again last week. We were on holiday and her ladyship left the visor down and the light cover up and lit whilst we went away for most of the day.... Luckily we had enough current to start the engine. It could however have been nasty. I am looking at taking the light out of both visors within the next few days.

Regards. Roy.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

To revert back to the issue at the start (i.e. Battery drainage on RX300 - not RX400h) just to advise you that it looks like it has been sorted. My car was a finance reposession and from what I understand it was lying around in a yard somewhere for around 6-9 months or so while the legalities of ownership were sorted out. During this time I believe one of the cells in the Battery deteriorated/failed (due to not being used) and would not charge and hence the whole Battery was working well below standard (approx 5/6ths power). New Battery is now in place and everything seems back to Lexus normal standards - just waiting for the bill now!!!

Thanks for the help and you can now go back to the 400h discussion again.

Steve.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have just had a similar problem, i bought a brand new Battery in jan 09, no problems until now, dec 09, went away for a week and left my car at the airport, got back, jumped in and dead Battery, just a bit of clicking from the starter then nothing, it was cold the week i was away, -2 to +4deg, surely this shouldnt happen, could it be a duff Battery or maybe the altinator isnt putting the correct amount of charge in when im driving, also somebody mentioned to me that i might have a drain on the system, ie. something not shutting down and using a small amount of power even when the car is off and locked, it does have dvd and tv in but only powered when ignition is on although they do have memory power, wouldnt have thought that would drain the Battery too much tho, any advice would be very helpful, thanks

Hi, I have just had a similar problem, i bought a brand new Battery in jan 09, no problems until now, dec 09, went away for a week and left my car at the airport, got back, jumped in and dead Battery, just a bit of clicking from the starter then nothing, it was cold the week i was away, -2 to +4deg, surely this shouldnt happen, could it be a duff Battery or maybe the altinator isnt putting the correct amount of charge in when im driving, also somebody mentioned to me that i might have a drain on the system, ie. something not shutting down and using a small amount of power even when the car is off and locked, it does have dvd and tv in but only powered when ignition is on although they do have memory power, wouldnt have thought that would drain the Battery too much tho, any advice would be very helpful, thanks

".... also somebody mentioned to me that i might have a drain on the system, ie. something not shutting down and using a small amount of power even when the car is off and locked, it does have dvd and tv in but only powered when ignition is on although they do have memory power, wouldnt have thought that would drain the Battery too much tho, any advice would be very helpful, thanks"

I seem to recall advice on this forum about the lights switch: do not leave the lights on "auto" when leaving the car for a prolonged period.

• 2 weeks later...
".... also somebody mentioned to me that i might have a drain on the system, ie. something not shutting down and using a small amount of power even when the car is off and locked, it does have dvd and tv in but only powered when ignition is on although they do have memory power, wouldnt have thought that would drain the battery too much tho, any advice would be very helpful, thanks"

I seem to recall advice on this forum about the lights switch: do not leave the lights on "auto" when leaving the car for a prolonged period.

Hi

Please see todays posting re Battery problems and all the history above!

Billy