Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nijdesigns - Icpc

PART 1

So the project begins :D FINALLY.

I took a week off work last week, to relax and chill, but i just couldn't sit still. I've received most of the bits i need for my ICPC, and i just had to get started.

So i started with a fiberglass mould of my glove box, so that i could fit my mobo, psu, hd and other bits and bobs to it....

Here's the necessary equipment...

fg_01.jpg

Masking tape the glove box...

fg_02.jpg

Apply fiberglass...

fg_03.jpg

Pop out mould...

fg_04.jpg

Trim prime and refit...

fg_05.jpg

OKAY STOP LAUGHING!!!! I know it looks like crap :tsktsk: ... and i'm a bit of a perfectionist, and as you all know, i would never be able to live with myself at what a disgraceful mould i made... Hey it was my first ever time using fiberglass, and its so messy! NEVER AGAIN! :(

Stay tuned for part 2... :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PART 2

So fiberglass sucks!

Lets try tinted perspex :)

The tools...

icpc_01.jpg

The layout design...

icpc_02.jpg

Got carried away with the construction after these 2 pics, so haven't got any progress pics... but this is what i made >

The perspex case...

icpc_03.jpg

The lid...

icpc_04.jpg

The fitting...

icpc_05.jpg

icpc_06.jpg

Completed this much on Wednesday evening 30th August. :) yay.

Okay so things are looking smart :) would you not agree?

BUT REMEMBER: i'm a perfectionist, and i can't be satisfied with a second attempt ICPC...

Stay tuned again for part 3...

:D

Looks cool man..I'm still stuck with 2 dead via mobos...

who's that freshie in your avatar?

Oi you! It's not a freshie! It's ME!!!!! :( Do i look fresh :( lol

ANYWAY....

PART 3

So the tinted perspex had a cool look and feel, and really sat well with the rest of the car, but my case wasn't as good as i had hoped... so i got out the bigger tools on saturday, and cut up a few sheets of transparent perspex.... (this stuff aint cheap by the way)

Unfortunately, i was too excited to take any pictures of the progress, so here's a pic of the whole thing completed and fitted :)

enjoy...

icpc_07.jpg

icpc_08.jpg

icpc_09.jpg

icpc_10.jpg

icpc_11.jpg

How do you guys like this one ?

Before you guys ask, the sound card will sit alongside the mobo, where you can see the extended access through the lid.

:whistling:

Please comment on progress so far, all input is appreciated. :)

Impressive stuff mate, you've got some good skills :)

Where are you going to have the screen for this lot - are you using a satnav screen or something else?

I wouldn't even know where to start with stuff like this!

Impressive stuff mate, you've got some good skills :)

Where are you going to have the screen for this lot - are you using a satnav screen or something else?

I wouldn't even know where to start with stuff like this!

About 3 months ago, i purchased a 7" LinITX wide touchscreen. Unfortunately, the advertised resolution of 800x480 was not capable by the on board chipset. So after much hassle with the manufacturers they gave me a refund.

I'm now waiting for the manufacturers from Taiwan to get back to me, about when they will be able to supply a screen that will do what it's advertised to do.

It will sit inside the fascia that Chris (Billsy) used for his car. So basically replacing the stock head unit. :)

I'll keep this thread updated as i progress... but thanks for the comments and input guys :) It's satisfying to hear great comments after the effort i've put in so far. :)

Looks very nice Niraj.

You will want to turn the motherboard around though.

I did the same thing on my Part I install, and realised that the glove box does not close when you have things plugged into the board.

It went from :

DSC01659.jpg

To this :

post-1-1150217134.jpg

damn, i'll have to check that again with some cables tonight... i had a look around, and i thought there would be enough room for a VGA cable... if it doesn't close, then looks like i'll be making PART 4 this weekend, lol.

damn, i'll have to check that again with some cables tonight... i had a look around, and i thought there would be enough room for a VGA cable... if it doesn't close, then looks like i'll be making PART 4 this weekend, lol.
You will be making Part 4, trust me.

You will be making Part 4, trust me.

Just plugged in VGA cable to the VGA connector, and at first had difficulty closing. So got very worried.

I noticed the difference between my layout and yours is that my VGA connector is the other way round, and already behind/under the dash.

I had a look at what might get in the way... which turned out to be the loom for the glove box LED, so i unclipped it and remounted it the other way round.

Voila, there is enough room, to get a VGA cable connected :) and to open and shut the glove box :D

I think it's because my mobo is mounted to the back of the glove box, not to the lid.

Or perhaps something else was in the way yours being an IS300?!

I'm gonna have to go against the grain on this one, but although I think the finish of no.3 is the best, I prefer the look of no.2 - there's just too much on show with the transparent casing ;)

Its a Lexus, should only see what was purposely intended to be seen :P

What sort of VGA connector are you guys using, a right-angled one or a standard one? I guess the right angled ones would give you even extra space if you're not already using those?

Im not using VGA, Im using a composite lead ..............

Niraj, have you tried other leads in there and tried closing it ??

Besides, I thought it looked untidy and messy with all the wires on show !

damn, that's another thought... i'm going to need to use the Serial connector for OBDII / Snooper connections... the USBs all work fine... don't think i'll need to use the parallel port or optical ports for anything.

I'm really gonna have to go and take another look at it, otherwise it really will be back to the drawing board with a new case design.

:(

Partibhan, i'm 50/50 with you on this. I always preferred my tinted lid, because it hid alot of everything, and the finish looked like glass. It was perfect. I'll have to see if i can get hold of more of the perspex if i need to remake it all. The transparent case obviously has got the better finish, because i knew how to do it after the first 2 attempts :lol:

What a pilaver, but i definately enjoying the whole experience :D

You could try these IDC RIBBON CABLE "D" PLUG they only stick out about 12mm.
Session timed out .............
Excuse my ignorance but what does all this do? Is it computer related?

It looks really great Niraj.

Yes, it's an In Car PC.

Try www.mp3car.com

For more projects like these :)

You could try these IDC RIBBON CABLE "D" PLUG they only stick out about 12mm.

Session timed out .............

Ooops :tomato:

Try going to www.rswww.com and searching for stock number 409-3292 this one only sticks out about 6mm from the socket face :winky: