Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rubbish Brakes

jamief

Ive got a 99 IS200, and how can I describe the brakes - they seem very soft, I was moving my girlfriends clio this morning and her brakes are razor sharp, so much so that if you tap em your eyeballs almost come out - does this sound like the normal '200 brakes? Or could mine do with being looked at by the garage?

Also I noticed the rear discs looked pretty corroded, except for a small silver line where the pad was obviously making contact when pressed, could this be part of the problem, or just cosmetic?

my brakes arnt very sharp either mate there seems to be a delay before they actually 'grip', mine too is a 99 and when i get i drive my mums new Rav i almost shoot through the windscreen they are that sharp :hehe:.

i dont have the same probs as you say re the discs though

I get a hell of alot of Vibrations when i brake, my friend believes I have warped discs? what does this mean and how much for a new set etc... I don't to end up dead, how serious is it? any help appreciated guys...

I get a hell of alot of Vibrations when i brake, my friend believes I have warped discs? what does this mean and how much for a new set etc... I don't to end up dead, how serious is it? any help appreciated guys...

Mine do as above, I have been looking at the soopa doopa prolex discs...anybody got any feedback on these (the grooved ones)

before you go changing your brakes mate, get the wheel balencing and tracking checked.

Aaron

Ive got a 99 IS200, and how can I describe the brakes - they seem very soft, I was moving my girlfriends clio this morning and her brakes are razor sharp, so much so that if you tap em your eyeballs almost come out - does this sound like the normal '200 brakes? Or could mine do with being looked at by the garage?

Also I noticed the rear discs looked pretty corroded, except for a small silver line where the pad was obviously making contact when pressed, could this be part of the problem, or just cosmetic?

Both my ISs have suffered with seized rear calipers/pads which is possibly the cause of your corroded disks.

The brakes became generally crap when this happened, with vibration and a mushy pedal.

The IS brakes don't seem as heavily servo'd as some cars so they dont feel as sharp. Drove a colleague's Audi and couldn't get used to how sensitive the pedal was - nearly butted the screen at every damn junction.

My girlfriend also has a Clio and it stands on it's nose even if you sneeze on the brake pedal. They shouldn't be as sharp as the Clio. My SE is a 99' plate, here's a pic of the rear discs. Your starting to get me worried now as I have allot of rust on mine. :unsure: Is this normal?

reardiscs.jpg

Here's the front.

caliper2.jpg

Thats about how mine looked at their worst, which ultimately resulted in new pads, disks and calipers.

They should be as clean and shiny as the fronts after any decent journey.

Vibrations are the discs warpped, had mine checked by lexus when mine went in to get the tracking done.

I bought DBA 4000 Gold of TDI pretty expensive but they look pretty good and they work just as good as they look :)

The only problem ive had now ive changed pads and discs (at front only) the brakes do feel slightly softer, think i might need to change/top up the brake fluid????? Any help would be great

Cheers Elliott

Thats about how mine looked at their worst, which ultimately resulted in new pads, disks and calipers.

They should be as clean and shiny as the fronts after any decent journey.

I only travel short journeys/around town. Do you think new rear discs would be of any advantage to me at the moment or should I wait till they "pack in"?

The majority of the braking is done at the front of the car, but I'd replace them anyway for safetys sake, you never know when someone is going to pull out in front of you or going to walk out in front of you.

Strange but I've noticed that people have started doing both all the time recently, only since I got the new car, it's crazy!

The rear disks will be the same cost as a night out on the town nowadays so it's definitely worth doing them ASAP!

The majority of the braking is done at the front of the car, but I'd replace them anyway for safetys sake, you never know when someone is going to pull out in front of you or going to walk out in front of you.

Strange but I've noticed that people have started doing both all the time recently, only since I got the new car, it's crazy!

The rear disks will be the same cost as a night out on the town nowadays so it's definitely worth doing them ASAP!

That's some of my exhaust funds gone :crybaby:

I have similar problems with my 1999 v is200, it only has 50k, i get vibrations and soft pedals.

What the solution??

I asked a local garage and he goes one of the rear calliper has seized up, but i dont know if he is chatting rubbish...

any advice??

any one got these parts forsale.

thanks

I have got a 99T

The brakes are soft but press the pedal firmly and they do bite!

I must admit I have noticed brakes are very sharp on newer cars!

I did a test on a carriageway that is the A329 back to reading and it leads onto Thames Valley Park where you have to brake at a roundabout, i was doing approx 120 mph and hit the brakes firmly approx 200-300 metres from the roundabout and the car stopped in no time!

So i assumed that the brakes are fine just not razor sharp and need firm applying!

B)

my brakes were completly shagged, was metal on metal on the back with huge grooves out of the discs, likewise on the back. After the service with lexus they described them as critical condition but then told me i would be £480 for a complete set unfitted, at which point i laughed and did it my self for under £200. Brakes are still in need of bleeding which i plan on doin this tonight which should restore my confidence in braking lol.

The vibration could be caused because the anti roll bar brushes are worn and need to be replaced. That was the case on my old Civic Type R anyway.

Took my passenger side front and rear wheels off today to give them a good wire brushing before i paint the rusted hubs, black and the caliper red. My discs were also very rusted in the centre and along the Circumference. All the rust came off easily with a wire brush! I only have my RS200 less than 2 weeks and it was supposed to be fully serviced before i got it. Looks like they over looked the rear brakes. there is only about 3mm left on the pad. Ill post up some pics of the before and after. Anyone recommend a good set of pads to get, TRD, mintex? no idea really!

• 1 month later...
I have got a 99T

The brakes are soft but press the pedal firmly and they do bite!

I must admit I have noticed brakes are very sharp on newer cars!

I did a test on a carriageway that is the A329 back to reading and it leads onto Thames Valley Park where you have to brake at a roundabout, i was doing approx 120 mph and hit the brakes firmly approx 200-300 metres from the roundabout and the car stopped in no time!

So i assumed that the brakes are fine just not razor sharp and need firm applying!

B)

I think you're absolutely right... the trouble with the new fashion for ultra-sharp, over-servoed brakes is that they make you think anything that needs a firmer press is 'poor brakes'. But as you say, if you give them a decent shove, they stop the car in no time at all - probably much quicker than the Clio mentioned above. When approaching a roundabout such as the one you describe above, unless there's heavy traffic I will rarely press the brake at all from an approach speed of 70-80mph much before the 100m marker. Maybe 150m if I have a passenger I don't want to put through the screen... :winky:

Also with these over-servoed brakes, when you really do need to stop quickly, it just kicks the ABS in straight away. As it takes so little effort on the pedal normally, a sudden kick will bring it in immediately - lengthening the time it takes to stop!!

Mike

a year or 2 after the IS came out there was a test my a motoring magazine etc and the IS200 actually had the 2nd best brakes out of all the cars they tested, that included a few porches - cant remember what came first tho

ive never had a problem with my brakes, always stopped very quickly. if your discs are warped (which they most defo are if there are vibrations) then you can have them skimmed. they take a fine layer of the disc to return them to a smooth finish.... but too be honest id just replace them. they are really simple too do so pick them up from your local motor center and crack on, the fronts are just as easy as the backs, Even on my Standard discs i had no problem stopping. im using mintex pads and rotora drilled n slotted discs. :)

as for the first question, id check how much pad you have left and how well your discs are wearing.

If you need a bit more info on changing the discs or pads. feel free to PM me.

Sam

Mike B, I am researching buying some new brakes - pads and discs - I see you enquired about Buypartsby.

I take it you are commenting about IS200 brakes overall as being rubbish and not just the parts you got from the above company?

Sorry for the delay mate - hadn't checked this thread!

No, the parts I got were fine. Actually I don't think the brakes are rubbish - I think they're very good, I don't actually like really sharp brakes! The brakes on the IS are identical to the GS, a much heavier car, so if anything they're probably over-specced for the car...

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

must admit that my rear disc are very rusty around the outside and inner, just a nice shiny circle where the pads see the disc from time to time, is that cause for concern?? i havent changed my pads or discs for over a year so i think its time for a new set up front

must admit that my rear disc are very rusty around the outside and inner, just a nice shiny circle where the pads see the disc from time to time, is that cause for concern?? i havent changed my pads or discs for over a year so i think its time for a new set up front

my discs are warped also need to get em change thinking about brembo slootted or powerslot cryo what u think does the cryo treatment make a difference