Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Plz Help! What To Use For Leather Seats?

katarina

Hello everybody. :D

I was yesterday in LEXUS - in show room where I bought my IS 250 1 or 2 months ago and I thought that I can buy there a special product for my beige leather seats to keep them nice and clean and they didn't have there anything grrrr so I would like to ask you guys if u can advice me please a good product that I can use and I also would like to ask if it is necessary to impregnate that leather, cuz when I asked here in LEXUS they knew nothing about it!!!! :excl: And I don't want that leather look bad and ugly too soon! :crybaby:

I hope u let me know asap!

Thank you!!! :)

Hi Katarina,

I have always used the Autoglym Leathercare / Leather Cleaner and found it to be very good. My old Saab had very light leather and this made them look like new. You can also use the same products you can buy to keep leather sofas clean. Also, the leather needs to be treated every few months to keep it looking good as it needs to be 'fed' to keep it supple.

Rich.

1. Cleaning 2. Conditioning 3. Ultra Violet Radiation protection

1. Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

Maintenance cleaning- use a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Notes:

a) With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won't discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.

B) The harsh use of chemicals actually keeps dirt trapped in the fibres of the leather. If you abuse or neglect your leather, it won't survive. Keeping leather clean is important, but conditioning is the key to preserving its useful life, flexibility, appearance and longevity.

2. Initial conditioning - for the initial conditioning of uncoated leather, and/or if you are cleaning it for the first time use a Leather Rejuvenator. (http://www.Leatherique.com) [use Zaino Z-10 Leather in a bottle on coated leather] paying particular attention to area that are exposed to the most UV radiation, i.e. backs of headrests, seat shoulders, and then apply to the rest of the seating surfaces starting at he top and working your way down.

Allow the product to be absorbed into the hides for several hours on a sunny day, or overnight. Warmth makes the leather fibres pores open allowing the proteins and collagens to be absorbed readily. Park the car in direct sunlight, cover seats with black plastic trash bags, and roll up the windows to create a steam room to allow the Rejuvenator to fully penetrate into the hides.

2a. Conditioning- recommend a preventative maintenance routine three to four times a year, once prior to the winter season to prevent cold temperatures cracking the leather, and once before the heat of the summer to prevent deterioration and shrinkage by heat, which result in continued cracking of leather. In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils; Collagen-based products like Leatherique restore the lost moisture and maintain its natural flexibility. The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide.

Schedule: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot's Leather Care, Autoglym Leather Care Cream, Zanio Z10 Leather in a Bottle or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are all good maintenance products)

3. Ultraviolet Radiation (UVR) Protection - you should consider additional sunscreen protection (especially if you own a convertible) leather conditioners typically do not offer any UV screening. The best solution is to alternate between a leather conditioner and a, ultra violet radiation (UVR) protection (303™ Aerospace Protectant). One month use a conditioner to keep the leather healthy and supple. On alternate months mist and wipe the leather with a UVR protection. After application allow 60 minutes for product to cure, then using a 100% cotton cloth to lightly buff surface

Maguiars do some leather cleaner/feed in a spray bottle or in wipes, not tried them yet, but they should be ok.

tried the megs cleaner and conditioner the other week its much better than Autoglym it comes highly recommended. Removes stubborn children stains and old brake dust (don't ask) from the leather.

Maguiars do some leather cleaner/feed in a spray bottle or in wipes, not tried them yet, but they should be ok.

tried the megs cleaner and conditioner the other week its much better than Autoglym it comes highly recommended. Removes stubborn children stains and old brake dust (don't ask) from the leather.

O.K. I won't..............Sod it , Brake dust :o explanation please Austin :winky: