Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's This Leak In The Engine Bay Please?

aido

OK the car has just had a new timing belt and while they were doing it they had a look at everything and reported a couple of problems on the safety report, basically there's a bit of play in the rear steering rack, and a couple of scratches, but this leak was there then and they never mentioned it:

05092006034rf4.jpg

The engine bay had been cleaned before I picked the car up so it appeared after I'd driven it, I'm guessing that the clamp just isn't tight enough on there and needs replacing, but what is it that's actually leaking, and is it going to cause a problem?

Everything seems to run ok, no major issues that I'm aware of?

Is this normal or something I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance

OK the car has just had a new timing belt and while they were doing it they had a look at everything and reported a couple of problems on the safety report, basically there's a bit of play in the rear steering rack, and a couple of scratches, but this leak was there then and they never mentioned it:

05092006034rf4.jpg

The engine bay had been cleaned before I picked the car up so it appeared after I'd driven it, I'm guessing that the clamp just isn't tight enough on there and needs replacing, but what is it that's actually leaking, and is it going to cause a problem?

Everything seems to run ok, no major issues that I'm aware of?

Is this normal or something I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance

Looks like a leaky breather pipe. Be worth replacing the spring clip with a decent jubilee clip. The hose itself could also be frayed or worn - easy enough to replace.

It doesn't have a BOV on it as far as I'm aware, or is that the little black thing basically what you'd replace when you fit an aftermarket BOV on there?

I'll get it down a local place to check all the pipework out, not really confident with taking these apart at the moment!

Thanks again fellas :D

It doesn't have a BOV on it as far as I'm aware, or is that the little black thing basically what you'd replace when you fit an aftermarket BOV on there?

I'll get it down a local place to check all the pipework out, not really confident with taking these apart at the moment!

Thanks again fellas :D

that is your bov !!

it vents back into the system, so doesnt go psssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh !

D'oh :lol:

So that's why it's so quick and easy to replace - take that thing off and put a recirculating one on where it was fitted?

Mega :D

Not quite as simple as a straight swap, as it requires a flange to be fitted onto the pipe on which the aftermarket BOV is fitted

So that's why it's so quick and easy to replace - take that thing off and put a recirculating one on where it was fitted?

basically yes :D

recirculating one is what you have

if you want a vent to air, which makes the noise, you would need to sort out a breather/filter for the engine

Not quite as simple as a straight swap, as it requires a flange to be fitted onto the pipe on which the aftermarket BOV is fitted

I've seen flanges for sale on eBay that have already been welded onto a small piece of pipe. In different sizes and makes etc. I was thinking about getting one for my HKS SSQV but not sure how good they are.

I've seen flanges for sale on eBay that have already been welded onto a small piece of pipe. In different sizes and makes etc. I was thinking about getting one for my HKS SSQV but not sure how good they are.

Don't bother with the eBay crap unless it's genuine.....the last thing you want is to be leaking boost :o

if you want a vent to air, which makes the noise, you would need to sort out a breather/filter for the engine

No mate, Pete already told me not to bother with a vent to air as it will knacker up the cars performance, said it's much happier with a recirculating one :)

All sleeper style :D

No mate, Pete already told me not to bother with a vent to air as it will knacker up the cars performance, said it's much happier with a recirculating one :)

There's no difference at all in performance between fitting a recirculating and a vent-to-atmosphere BOV. Since you have an auto, there would be little point in fitting an atmospheric BOV due to the up/downshift nature of an auto box and therefore no psheeeeeeeet sound

There's no difference at all in performance between fitting a recirculating and a vent-to-atmosphere BOV. Since you have an auto, there would be little point in fitting an atmospheric BOV due to the up/downshift nature of an auto box and therefore no psheeeeeeeet sound

You would be surprised how often my car dumps to atmosphere :). I'd say get it as it'll help when you add a FMIC and increase boost further later down the road :).