Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is It Just Me Or Are Other Drivers And Pedestrians Getting Worse!

aido

I just wondered if it was in my mind or whether other road users and pedestrians seem to be getting stupider by the day?

This has been especially bad since I got the new car, but I'm finding that other drivers have started pulling out in front of me from junctions and roundabouts when there just isn't time to brake, and then they look at me like it's my fault!

So many times in the past six months people just pull out when cars are coming on miniroundabouts, I've had that many near misses it's crazy, only today I was coming around the roundabout in town, doing normal speeds I might add (you can't go that fast on a roundabout in a GS) and a guy in a fairly new car was looking straight at me, then at the last minute pulled to come out, I smashed the brakes on and just missed his front end, then he pipped at me and gave me the finger when I went past! I definitely had no indicators on and was in the right lane, it was just as if he thought he could pass straight through my car - but I'm seeing this more and more everyday! Had to come to a complete stop on a roundabout today, as cars just pull out as you're coming round - it's not like they can use the excuse they didn't see me!

Pedestrians just stepping out in front of moving cars, other cars pulling out when it's not safe to go, I think we're probably at a time where people should be made to learn the green cross code every three years and resit their tests, as the people on the roads are getting stupider!

It might sound like a whinge but it's an observation that I'm making more and more recently, and just wondered if it's a general thing happening around the country?

I'm having to concentrate more and more driving, you've constantly got to be on the lookout for people with poor lane disclipline and who just haven't got a clue - yet these are hte same people who will get upset the moment you overtake them on a clear road on a bright day when there are no obstacles on the road, yet they're doing 30mph in a 60mph zone!

It just seems bonkers :o

.....And the BBC's latest guest for their "Grumpy Old Men" program on BBC2 is Aido! :P :P

Seriously however, you have a point, I am getting more and more annoyed by some drivers almost complete lack of lane discipline and no indicators. :tsktsk:

Maybe they think your Aristo is made of Rubber and they will just bounce off?? :tomato:

:lol: I nearly posted this in another forum as they have a whine forum but thought sod it and posted it here :D

Glad it's not just me then!

Only earlier I was sat in traffic and saw a car have to do an emergency stop at some traffic lights to avoid hitting a pedestrian. The lights showed the don't walk signal to the pedestrian, and were on green, and so a constant stream of traffic was going through, then this bloke just looked, looked again, saw the traffic, and then just decided to walk straight in front of it. The thing is when he heard the screech of the brakes he had the nerve to give the driver abuse. The driver who through his observational skills hit the brakes in time to not seriously injure the pedestrian.

I just don't get it - people in general are just going wrong!

i agree the standard of driving seems to have deteriorated recently it seems that there is no such thing as lane discipline on motorways either, on my way to blackpool the other week loads of people in the middle lane doing about 50 when there was noone in the inside lane, me in the outside lane three different people decided to pull out in front of me for no reason and stay at about 50 not even attempting to overtake anyone.

Hi aido,

Your right with what your saying,i dont think people are taught the dangers of the roads anymore well crossing the roads.What you need to do is get a very LOUD horn on your car and if you think people are going to walk out infront of you use it just before they dont,they soon jump back out of shock :winky:

As to other car drivers i think the problem is theres not enough Police on the roads nowadays,speed cameras are good at getting speeders but dont do ***** for poor driving standards :angry:

If people think and can get away with poor driving they do,you notice if theres a Police car following people then there driving standards soon get better,almost as though there taking there driving test again :D

Get the Police back on the roads that what i say!!,at least if you do get stopped for slightly doing over the speed limit then theres a small chance you might get a ticking off,with speed cameras theres no option they get you everything,but no advice or bollocking for how you were driving.

Chips.

indicators or lack of is my pet hate closely followed by lane discipline on roundabouts, i dunno how many times i have nearly been squashed against the inside barriers on roundabouts especially by van drivers and 4x4s. i keep saying one day i am going to let them hit me, but i don't think i could bring myself to damage the car nor do the 10 years for manslaughter after killing the offending driver

A lot has to do with visibility and perception in my opinion .....

Dark coloured cars are harder to see, especially dark grey.... scandinavian cars have the right idea with the lights wired on to the ignition... you could try turning yours on, no one ever pulls out in front of me when i have lights on...

Your GS looks like a luxury cruiser so catches people off guard, people are less likely to pull out in front of "boy racer" cars as they assume he's going quick and will be revving all over their rear bumper looking for a way past if they do.....

:)

Hi,

I was going to add about the fact that more so with my dark green Aristo that i drive with the headlights on even in daylight sometimes if its slightly overcast.If anyone does pull out infront of me they cant say they didnt see me...Get yourself seen ;) as the old bike advert used to say.

(you can't go that fast on a roundabout in a GS)

I disagree. Goodyear Eagle F1s, polyurethane bushes, and stiffer, lower springs make for interesting cornering speeds! :D

Oh, I always drive with my HIDs on, night or day, for maximum visibility.

The only reason the UK govt won't change the law to have everyone put their lights on at all times, is because of all the cyclists. The govt believes cyclists would be less visible if drivers have headlights on during the day, and so, it may lead to more drivers "not seeing" cyclists.

Cyclists are **** ****ers!

Round here they all ride in pairs despite the fact that is against the highway code! I've had a few giving me rude signs, despite the fact they're in the wrong anyway - seeing as they're in the wrong they can **** right off!

Around here the cyclists and horse riders seem to think they own the road, and yet they're the only people who aren't actually paying a yearly fee to use it!

I really think that needs looking at, as horses ***** all over the place and make it dangerous for everyone! I even had a horse rider telling me to keep the noise down when I was driving an IS250! If I'd have been driving my normal IS or GS then they'd have been learning how to ride steeplechase :lol:

Around here the cyclists and horse riders seem to think they own the road, and yet they're the only people who aren't actually paying a yearly fee to use it!
Ever been to Brugge, Belgium ? - Then you will know that Cyclists DO own the road !

I get very annoied of other drivers too, and can become very short tempered behind the wheel :blush:

Pulling into the overtaking lane, and just slowing down ............

Not pulling off at a GREEN light, till after 5 seconds .........

Stopping at ALL Roundabouts!!!

Need I go on .............. :tsktsk:

i blame rapidly decreasing road standards with a sudden influx of LEGAL immigrants from Poland and the area...

They were free to come here in whatever numbers they wanted, and are probably driving around on their polish license, not having to even read the highway code, let alone take a UK driving test.

i blame rapidly decreasing road standards with a sudden influx of LEGAL immigrants from Poland and the area...

They were free to come here in whatever numbers they wanted, and are probably driving around on their polish license, not having to even read the highway code, let alone take a UK driving test.

We have loads of them in Ireland now as well...... worst thing is the're bringing their old cars from Poland which are left hand drive.... seen some scary overtaking :o

Cyclists are **** ****ers!

Round here they all ride in pairs despite the fact that is against the highway code! I've had a few giving me rude signs, despite the fact they're in the wrong anyway - seeing as they're in the wrong they can **** right off!

I really think that needs looking at, as horses ***** all over the place and make it dangerous for everyone! I even had a horse rider telling me to keep the noise down when I was driving an IS250! If I'd have been driving my normal IS or GS then they'd have been learning how to ride steeplechase :lol:

Hi,

From what i saw on the tele the other week they are thinking of putting number plates on bikes,that will stop them going on the path when the traffic lights go red :D it would be good to be able to report them.I do respect horse and push bike riders but they do get on my nerves when they ride two a breast :angry:

I think they should put road tax and insurance on people/horses that go on the road,maybe around £1000 for the road tax.I think the only safe place to ride a horse is in a field.

Chips.