Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Fuel Economy Fixes?

Well ive been on to my dealer (leeds) again and there still not interested with this injector problem, ive written to Lexus GB but no reply yet,

those of you that have had the injectors changed what tactics did you use to get it to happen, i just keep getting fobbed off. and really getting down about this legendary lexus service.

I think it comes down to how good the dealer is in the customer service department. Lexus Poole have been exemplary in this respect and it was them that identified the injector change out as being a solution to the poor fuel economy.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ive been on to my dealer (leeds) again and there still not interested with this injector problem, ive written to Lexus GB but no reply yet,

those of you that have had the injectors changed what tactics did you use to get it to happen, i just keep getting fobbed off. and really getting down about this legendary lexus service.

Rick11, does your car stall? Normally diesels are very hard to stall due to the huge torque.

Leicester have basically advised that there is no economy problem as such, at least as far as Lexus are concerned. On the initial call, the representative mentioned that he would also watchout for the Lexus Bulletins, and I would contact him in december to see if the bulletin is issued or not.

As myself and others are finding, just changing the brand of fuel does make a difference for some cars with no actual fault being apparent.

The only recognised Injector problem is referring to Injector #5, which I am told squirts neat derv into the cat ( :crying: ) to improve emissions on a warm engine...It's also related to a stalling problem....somehow!

my car doesnt stall at all and i always use premium fuel, ive tried all styles of driving and different gears yet still not more than 40mpg its such a dissapointment that lexus poole are happy to sort the problem yet leeds cant/wont unless lexus gb instruct. just have to see what happens.

• 3 months later...

@douwnsouth - will they change all Injectors, or just #5? Let us know...

I Had my car seen to over the weekend. The fuel injector(s) were changed. I think it was all of them but I will check. Haven’t noticed any improvement in the mpg as it was a half tank of petrol and I’ve not done much driving but I will let you all know over the coming weeks.

On another point though, the performance has changed DRAMATICALLY, I can’t believe it. I am getting much more responsiveness lower down and the car moves from gear to gear really smoothly. The gear box has opened up completely as it was a bit clunky before. I’ve got 7.5K miles on the clock. I’d recommend getting the injectors changed for the change to the gearing alone – it is a different car.

Hi downsouth which dealer did you go to ...............

I am on my 5th diesel car, and at the moment i'm astounded how poor the fuel economy is ,and how useless 6th gear is unless its way over 80 mph .

i spoke breifly to lexus guildford this afternoon and the response was that i don't have a problem but bring it in and they will have a look .

I may call lexus poole monday and ask them wether thay have a soloution ,but very disapointed at the moment.

my 150tdi cupra leon is faster and way more economical ,i cannot belive they think this isn't a problem.

I have had an IS220D SE since March and had the new injectors fitted. covered over 16000 miles and have to say i am one dissapointed individual.

Yes it runs smoother after the injectors were installed but saw no real diiffernce in the MPG i always seem to get between 31 and 36 which is also very dependent on the whether you use the AIr con. As after two identical runs up and down the m27 there was a 5 MPG differnce!! :excl: . HIghest i have ever had it is low 40's after i had to crawl home between 60 and 70 down the M3.

Wouldn't mind if it showed it's 178 bhp but i have to say my freind A4s and my old MK5 Golf with thte 140BHP engines accelerated better. Especially helpful when over taking cravaners in the New Forest.

ON the motorway i tend to cruise between 80 and 90 in sixth but as soon as i fall below 70 i have to change down. :tsktsk:

Overall IMHO thery should have put in a 3.0 Turbo diesel as i am sure the engive would have behaved better; less turbo lag and the engine woudl of had the capbility to deal wiht that ridiculas sixth gear. And we will probally have seen the same MPG figures.

I went to Lexus Croydon who changed all my injectors.

I have found that sixth works well enough around 70 mph now. But is much better at slightly above this :whistling:

I had 38mpg on motorway yesterday but it fell away once I got back into London and crawled through traffic for almost two hours!

Hi downsouth which dealer did you go to ...............

I am on my 5th diesel car, and at the moment i'm astounded how poor the fuel economy is ,and how useless 6th gear is unless its way over 80 mph .

i spoke breifly to lexus guildford this afternoon and the response was that i don't have a problem but bring it in and they will have a look .

I may call lexus poole monday and ask them wether thay have a soloution ,but very disapointed at the moment.

my 150tdi cupra leon is faster and way more economical ,i cannot belive they think this isn't a problem.

I was going to push for the injector change on mine but may not bother now, mine was delivered April last year so I'm sure it's the earlier build with the 'old' injector set. However, if Downsouth is getting 38mpg after the fix then I'd be worse off. I have just done home - East Grinstead - back again and including town, a few jams on the M25 and cruising at 80-85 I have averaged 44.9 over the entire journey of 225 miles!

This beats my previous best by nearly 5mpg so not sure what has changed, I'm on 15k miles so between services, it was on Tesco fuel and the AC was on all the time. B)

seady 70 on the m25 in 6th ............... 32mpg and dropping .............. i reset the average once at 70mph and set it there with cruise .............. surely thats wrong ?

I used to be at a 34 average and it just keeps getting higher with the mileage. You need a good run though as if you reset on a hilly section it'll look dreadful. I'd give it 20 miles to get a good indications of where it's at - have to say though, 70 in 6th is labouring in mine, I only use it from just under 80 which is when the engine moves into it's power/torque range

Hmm...

it is a strange animal, the 220d. I take most of the comments made above lately as being totally factual. Mine is the same after the 5th Injector changeout, though smoother.

I said once that "....Lexus tried to make the most powerful and the most economical car in the class, and failed on both counts..." and in my humble opinion I do still sort of stand by it. However, on a comparo, my old A4 PDi130 was as quick 0-60 as the 220d is. However, on a rolling run to overtake, it is no where near the 220d. It would be left quaking...where the Audi was red lining, the 220d is just getting into it's stride and before you know it you're well over the legal mark!

Even the IS250 would probably be beaten, but with the 220d you do have to be in the right gear at the right time. So I would say that the 220d is not geared for standing starts, but more for driveability once up to speed.

6th is strange. If you want economy, from my experience, you really need to stick it in 5th and leave it there until 70ish mph, and then on a down hill stretch engage 6th, hit Cruise and you should be OK to see >40mpg over the next several miles (as RichBee says over 20 miles or more).

The car does not like to be rushed. Your fuel economy will suffer terribly if you get to 1800+RPM in 6th even with Cruise. That's my experience so far. Mine is on 7,300 miles now, 10 moths old and my last trip on 22nd December saw 44+ MPG. I find 6th useable from 59mph, but until 70+ the response is pretty poor, so it's a cruiser, not a sports car. On the whole the Sport with it's final drive settings is a better bet if you want a responsive car...

Even though you see low revs, it still takes a lot of effort to propel any car at 80mph, and so it'll suck in the oil like fish breathing water - more so than a VAG diesel which really are very thrifty!!

I took delivery of my 220d se in December 2006.

I have previously driven both Mercedes and Audi diesels and have to say that the 220, although a beautiful car, is totally useless on fuel economy.

I get an average of 33mpg on motorway runs and about 29mpg round town. I have even permanently left my current mpg display on to make sure i am driving as economically as possible and it i still useless.

It was delivered with scratches all over the centre console display screens, which Lexus Leicester have now replaced. It also had to be checked because i have a rattle on the drivers door and dash and i keep getting a warning that my key is not detected. Leics put right all of the problems and my car was delivered back to me this week, albeit with a dent in the back wing, scratches on the bumper and a chipped alloy,which is being currently being sorted out.

The rattle is still there and i still cant get into my car on occassions because it wont recognise the key, even when i hold it within 2 feet of the car.

i am now getting the major hump about it all because for the money you pay for a Lexus Is220d Se, i think you get a very poor return.

I tested the german equivelents but opted for this vehicle on the basis that in terms of quality, "it was right up there wiht the germans", fuel economy was supposed to be "industry leading" and the fact that i have always driven German.

Maybe, it is just mine but i am seriously beginning to regret buying this vehicle and when one dealer said that it was probably due the way i drove it, i seriously thought about running him over!!

I also pointed out to him that i had to break the speed limit to get any sort a response for my sixth gear, to which he agreed and told him that the MPG being quoted on this vehicle is near as close to being a massiver represention of the truth if ever there was one.

I can honestly say that, if the vehicle is not returned before the hire agreement finishes, after my three years is up, I will be going German again.

Sorry to all of you who love your lexus's but i feel i have well and truly been done.

I really do feel it for you...I know how frustrating it is - just read some of my posts going back to January last year (OMG - I've been whinging for a year)!!

6th gear will get better, and at approx 5000 miles you should notice an improvement in the fuel economy stakes too. I do see 40+mpg regularly per tank, but I have to drive it carefully with over 80% motorway and the rest in town on a warmed engine...unlike many diesels (as you've mentioned).

Also - the manual does state that 6th should only be used at over 75mph...!!! So it is design intent for the autobahns....

It's so easy to get totally disheartened by all of this. What the Lexus will give you is loads of kit for your cash and bullet proof mechanicals - something most of the Germans don't. I know that they are offering 15-18% off a new 3 series at the mo at some dealers, and so their car will be worth peanuts in the not too distant future.

Stick with it - demand that the dealer sorts out the issues and speak to the Dealer Principal.

Good luck...

PS - the key...went to see a relative the other day...and I couldn't get into my car either (this has never happened before). His neighbour has had Sky Broadband and a Sky Router. Since then all remote fobs on the street are playing up. Is Sky WiFi the problem????

I really do feel it for you...I know how frustrating it is - just read some of my posts going back to January last year (OMG - I've been whinging for a year)!!

6th gear will get better, and at approx 5000 miles you should notice an improvement in the fuel economy stakes too. I do see 40+mpg regularly per tank, but I have to drive it carefully with over 80% motorway and the rest in town on a warmed engine...unlike many diesels (as you've mentioned).

Also - the manual does state that 6th should only be used at over 75mph...!!! So it is design intent for the autobahns....

It's so easy to get totally disheartened by all of this. What the Lexus will give you is loads of kit for your cash and bullet proof mechanicals - something most of the Germans don't. I know that they are offering 15-18% off a new 3 series at the mo at some dealers, and so their car will be worth peanuts in the not too distant future.

Stick with it - demand that the dealer sorts out the issues and speak to the Dealer Principal.

Good luck...

PS - the key...went to see a relative the other day...and I couldn't get into my car either (this has never happened before). His neighbour has had Sky Broadband and a Sky Router. Since then all remote fobs on the street are playing up. Is Sky WiFi the problem????

Thanks for your support Jamboo

Just really gutted because i was so looking forward to getting the car.

The car is going back Lexus on Tuesday so i will post an update

Good luck...

Hi Jamboo

Me again, moaning again!

I feel there is 2 sides to this:

1) The cars fuel economy is pants and Lexus GB do not know what to do about it

2) The dealers have never had such a major problem before and are dancing around swerving customers. They all should read this thread and see how many p@ssed off customers they have and worry about the future sales they won't have :angry:

Personally I have had three people at Lexus Leicester promising to return my calls over this. Guess what still waiting :tsktsk:

My car is now 1 year old and has just over 10,500 miles on the clock. from new I was averaging between 40 and 43 mpg per tank driving with a very light right foot. Since getting the car evryone I spoke to regarding the fuel consumption told me that it would get better the more miles I put on the clock. I have found the opposite to be true with my last tank averaging 37.7mpg - no change of driving style or routes driven. I raised this with my dealer who told me that I am the third customer who has complained of the fuel comsumption getting worse as the miles have gone on the car. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and, if so, have Lexus been able to come up with a solution?

My car is now 1 year old and has just over 10,500 miles on the clock. from new I was averaging between 40 and 43 mpg per tank driving with a very light right foot. Since getting the car evryone I spoke to regarding the fuel consumption told me that it would get better the more miles I put on the clock. I have found the opposite to be true with my last tank averaging 37.7mpg - no change of driving style or routes driven. I raised this with my dealer who told me that I am the third customer who has complained of the fuel comsumption getting worse as the miles have gone on the car. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and, if so, have Lexus been able to come up with a solution?
I collected my car early March last year, it has now done 28000 miles. Averaging 31.2mpg. What a great car - not! :tsktsk:

Nicely slipped into my handbook was the data sheet showing the official fuel figures .

I wonder if this is worth taking a step further .

For a start there is a sale of goods issue here , discription and quoted official figures are totally misleading and tbh enough grounds for rejection of the vehicle .

maybe watchdog or one of the car magazines might be interested , maybe as i'm just down the road from the beloved top gear track we could ask the stig to drive the car get and try and get the figures quoted . maybe a bit of media hype might just make Lexus GB stand up and listen .

i think my first port of call will be several car mags . along with top gear AND my local trading standards .

If anyone else seriously feels we are being ignore with this it might just get someone to do something., its not like its the odd car .

Anyone here work in PR ? and want to help?

would raise the club profile a bit too

The vauxhall's I've owned didn't live up to the official figures either. Do any cars when driven in real life?

I've only got 43.5mpg long distance and usually 33mpg commuting (50/50 split town/motorway) from my sport but its still way better than my IS200 would have managed. The cars faster too and awesome in every other respect so I'm quite happy with it. :)

The vauxhall's I've owned didn't live up to the official figures either. Do any cars when driven in real life?

I've only got 43.5mpg long distance and usually 33mpg commuting (50/50 split town/motorway) from my sport but its still way better than my IS200 would have managed. The cars faster too and awesome in every other respect so I'm quite happy with it. :)

I haven't managed to get mine to 40mpg and considering it spends most of its like on the motorway, technically speaking I would say this is p*ss poor. Lexus Leicester had my car for 3 days and drivin it really really carefully (no climate etc) they managed a massive 37mpg and thought i would be happy with this! :duh: The stupid thing is I love the car but don't love the extra £150 per month I spend on fuel!!

I'm back to getting 45 mpg since the injectors were swapped out. I had a couple of weeks where it wasn't so good (35-40mpg) but has now gone back to normal.

Sorry folks, but I'm just glad I didn't buy an oiler :tomato: Did you really choose the first ever Lexus diesal for the economy?

I'm back to getting 45 mpg since the injectors were swapped out. I had a couple of weeks where it wasn't so good (35-40mpg) but has now gone back to normal.

Sorry folks, but I'm just glad I didn't buy an oiler :tomato: Did you really choose the first ever Lexus diesal for the economy?

I'm happy with the economy (eventually) and I love the torque and acceleration you get when overtaking :)

And as a plus point I get to wake up my miserable neighbours when I leave at 05:45 in the morning :D - it really does sound like a mashed up London taxi from the outside.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links